Strong plays in time before R&F

fantsu

Prince
As the Switch game comes out without the expansion, what strategies/tips would those familiar with vanilla give to civ VI newcomers?

England so strong still right?
Navy as useless?
Any techs to avoid generally?
Hows vanilla diplo?

In the early game, don't build/use a trader until you have sufficient forces to protect the entire route. I hate losing those things to barbs. This goes for builders and the improvements they make too. Keep them and your settlers guarded.

Try to keep moving forward but remember to hang in there even if you suffer setbacks. Have fun!

In the early game, don't build/use a trader until you have sufficient forces to protect the entire route. I hate losing those things to barbs. This goes for builders and the improvements they make too. Keep them and your settlers guarded.

Try to keep moving forward but remember to hang in there even if you suffer setbacks. Have fun!
Actually, to be more precise. If you build a trader, make sure to understand the path it will take and that there is no hazard on the path it will take. For example, I might want to send this caravan to a city state, but seeing that a barbarian camp is on or nearby the path that the trader will take, I would rather chose to send it to my second city instead. It might not be what I want, but the path is clear and the two cities are nearby.

Also, I would suggest always keeping one warrior guarding near your first city. You will be able to thwart barbarian raids on it and protect your first worker unit. Leave the exploration to the scout unit. Also. One of my first unit I build is a stone throwing dude. It helps defend yourself from roaming barbarians at first and if you are able to play wisely and kill one barbarian unit with it, you will trigger the eureka! you need to speed up research for archery, a very useful technology to get rid of barbarian encampments a few turns afterwards.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Waiting for those raging barbs already. :)

Range units (like archers) are the best against the AI, although catapults and warboats (galleys and quadrireme) can help you siege a city faster. Civilization VI is the first version of this series where the geography of your start location will influence your strategic choices. You will not go down the same used-up path everytime to get to certain techs because Eurekas! are very important to speed up your research and those are context and events sensitive. Sometimes, I just won't be able to meet 3 city states, or kill a unit with a slinger, or build an iron mine or found a city on the coast or be able to build a watermill. So, you get better when you understand how to use your location to your advantage in order to trigger those Eureka! moments. That's a very different behavior than in previous versions of this game.

Top Bottom