Strong Probability That We Are All Living In A Computer Simulation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Samuelson, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Samuelson

Samuelson Prince

Here is a link to the scientific paper: http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

The paper is long, so I will summarize the argument here. Given that our brains are made from nothing but nueron connections and such, it would be possible to engineer a computer as to simulate nueral connections to create counciousness. If in the distand future humans have enormous computational powers, they could be able to set up a simulation of humankind and the universe around them (either modeled on themselves or an altered version of themselves). The beings in the simulation would have no way of knowing if they were in a simulation or not. Massive numbers of simulations could be produced with their computational power, in effect many more people than actually exist in reality. It is therefore a high probability that we ourselves are nothing but in the simulation. The other options are that humanity will destroy itself before being able to attain the computational power, or that future humanity will have no motivation to do simulations because their knowledge is so advanced that they will not gain any information from the simulation. They may regard recreational adtivities as nothing but inefficient ways to attain pleasure (which may alternatively be acheived by direct stimulation of pleasure neurons with their future technology).

2. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Well, we already have games where we play....people....so you never know. :mischief:

Highly doubt it, though. The graphics are far too good in life.

Of course, there's always the answer that we are but God's simulation.

3. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden Deity

4. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

well the graphics could be so good because each atom is made up of thousands of bits of knowledge instead of our current technology.

not sure i buy it, but it's possible.

5. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I take solace in the fact the future humans are probably also a simulation...

6. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

Matrix?!!!!

7. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

If we were living inside a computer sim, we would have found out by now. Because every once in a while the system would have malfunctioned, and a great big sign would have appeared in the sky, saying "GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT: Reality has performed an illegal memory access and will be shut down."

But it hasn't.

8. Mr. Dictator

wouldnt it be weird if in a thousand or so years we find out that it was true and then people start revering keanu reeves as a prophet?

9. Stylesjl

Stylesjl SOS Brigade Member

We could be living in a simulation, god could exist, we could be brains in a jar, there could be a flying spaghetti monster

My point is that such a question is useless with no way to ever verify it. So there is no point. Move along, nothing to see here

10. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Nah you would need a computer larger than the universe to simulate the universe. Plus quantum mechanics has a few things to say about whether you can actually simulate quantum particles (since you can't measure their position and velocity at the same time).

I don't think "scientific" is the right word, more like "philosophy" for that paper anyway.

11. Mr. Dictator

sounds like propoganda from our undiscovered overlords.

12. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

It's far more likely that the entire universe and everyone in it is just a figment of MY imagination, not someone elses. How do I know you lot really exist? I know I exist, cogito ergo sum.

13. Fugitive Sisyphus

Fugitive Sisyphus Escape Artist

Mandatory Alpha Centauri quote:

Trying to prove that you are living in a computer simulation is like trying to proving God. And there is always a chance that the you will be terminated for asking too many questions.

14. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

Go Go Commander Data!

Anyway, this is just silly. Its is impossible to prove or disprove. Even though by our knowledge, we would be able to easily regard it as untrue due to quantum mechanics, you could always say that "Well, maybe everything we know is just part of the simulation and the laws of physics that we know aren't real".

15. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

Moderator Action: Off topic posts deleted. Please stick to the topic.

16. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

Linux???????

17. scy12

scy12 Deity

Great idea. I will make a movie out of it... What if we where indeed in a computer simulation engineered by Artificial intelligence cable machines. but i don't know how to advance the plot ... Maybe something cheesy like a chosen one , a Mesiah that will save humanity will do the trick. Yea i like this idea.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

19. Mr. Dictator

it's chilling with the evidence that proves it to be false.

20. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

I wonder if there is someone getting ready to hit enter as we speak...