1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

struggling with generated maps.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by trev1972, Nov 14, 2017.

1. trev1972

trev1972 Chieftain

Hi All

On civ iv and v, i used to love the island type giant maps, with a few cities on the mainland and then grabbing islands with vital resources etc on them, the ai wasnt great at naval warfare but i enjoyed that sort of game.

I also used to actually get OCEAN between some civs as well, instead of everywhere magically connected by seas.

I understand districts mean island cities arent viable anymore. But everything doesnt have to be a massive landmass or two surely?

I also used to actually get OCEAN between some civs as well, instead of everywhere magically connected by seas.

Ive tried island plates, with huge map, and sea levels high but it seems to generate two or at most 3 big land masses with a few dotted islands, so you either end up on a giant landmass or a 1 city island.

Is there anything im doing wrong? or any mapscripts you can suggest? ideally a giant map with 12 civs would have 10-20 main masses of land, with a few islands around, and some of the masses would actually have ocean around them!!!

Thanks.

2. PYITE

PYITE Chieftain

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Chieftain

The lack of ocean, even on a continents map, is always a little weird. But I've found even a small sea can be enough to "separate", oddly enough. For example, in my current game (standard continents), my continent was just me and Cleo, and I think 9 city-states. The other continent had the other 6 civs, and only 3 (?) city-states. I could see their continent early, as it was only a 1 tile gap, but I didn't settle in that corner (was across the desert with city-states lining the coast), and on their continent, nobody had settled on that entire side (they were all pushed to the western edge of the continent). So since I was more than happy to simply stay friendly with my (now 8) city-states once I wiped out Cleo, I really didn't feel the need to go explore over there, so I never actually met them until around the industrial era or later.

Of course, your mileage will vary. I could have easily gone to settle on that coast, and explored and met them all much earlier. Or if they expanded out to their coast or even just sent a boat out to explore, I may have met them much much sooner.

trev1972 likes this.
  4. trev1972

trev1972 Chieftain

@PYITE i use that pack loads, love the earth maps! i just want an islandy game though :)

@UWHabs i dont understand lack of ocean either, ive just tried another start, ok start and coastal, there are 6 civs in my game, and 4 are on my 'islands plates' island...thats just silly surely?

5. PYITE

PYITE Chieftain

Try fractal with high sea level, I saw it suggested in another thread. If you are having trouble with civ spacing then I would suggest increasing the minimum distance between major civs. There are several mods for starting distance or you can change it manually in the global parameters file.

trev1972 likes this.
  6. VTMatt

VTMatt Chieftain

Got Lakes is a mod I've been playing around with recently.

It has the same basic map types (pangea, continents, islands), plus 'lakes', each with a lot of options for customization. For example, on islands, you can choose if you prefer several larger islands, geologic type chains, a ton of small islands, archipelagos, etc.

You should be able to set the options to a map which fits the style you're after.

I'd suggest giving it a try, I found it on the Steam workshop page.

trev1972 likes this.
  7. trev1972

trev1972 Chieftain

Thanks for the responses all, i wasted so much time last night trying to get a map, maybe the criteria were too strict? i wanted no north pole start, on my own island and enough space for 2-3 cities.

I started to think maybe the mod i do have enabled (yet another maps pack) was interacting with the script somehow?. I tried every version of island size and sea level

My last attempt i picked the biggest size, high sea level and deleted several civs

I started at the north pole so turned on debug to look at the map, and it was a giant snaky landmass with most the civs on it, and the city states on tiny islands at the edges, it was quite bizzare...basically pangea but snaky

I have huge gaps between coming back to civ so might just be forgetting but i am sure i had much better options for map generation in previous iterations?

Ill try got lakes thanks-

8. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Chieftain

YNAEMP should be giving you good starting locations. It uses a method to determine civ placement that is different than the 'built in' civ placement.

9. trev1972

trev1972 Chieftain

Absoloutely gutted, decided to move up a level difficulty, got the most insanely great start (stupidly good!), then after a dozen turns realized i hadnt changed it from prince difficulty :(