Stuck in permanent war with everyone?

Sneaky Snake

GDR Noob
Alright so I decided to play a game of vanilla CiV today, and well, after discovering another civ or city state, I'm locked into permanent war with them. I'm guessing this is a glitch caused by a Permanent war/peace mod I installed back when the game was first released, where mods were installed through an ingame browser, not this Steam Workshop crap or whatever. I deleted the mod, and it did not fix the problem. Even if I start a game normally, and not through the mods menu, it locks me into permanent war. I tried re-installing the game, but since I'm creating this thread, that did not work either. So any advice? How can I do a complete, fresh install of the game?

Verify your game cache (Steam --> Library --> Right-click Sid Meier's Civilization 5 --> Properties --> Local Files --> Verify Integrity of Game Cache). If that doesn't work, please post again.

Just tried that, it said everything was fine. After I verified it, Steam started installing a 9MB update. Thought that might have had something to do with it also. Started up a match to see if it corrected itself but nope, still declares war automatically on everyone.

Try this: In the folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo

open the file CIV5GameOptions.xml (make a backup copy first, in case anything goes wrong) with, say, Notepad. Find the section
Code:
<Type>GAMEOPTION_ALWAYS_WAR</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_ALWAYS_WAR</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAME_OPTION_ALWAYS_WAR_HELP</Help>
<Visible>0</Visible>

In the last line, change the 0 to a 1 and save the file. Start a new game and go into Advanced Setup. You should see an Always War option with a check mark next to it. Remove the check mark. This should fix the problem. If you wish, go back to the xml file and change the 1 back to a 0.

And it looks like that was the issue. Then again, with how stupidly aggressive the AI is, I might as well be always at war. Thanks a lot man.

Top Bottom