1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Student Government

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Orange Seeds, Sep 4, 2009.

1. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

In my school there are about 10 party animals of which several are related. It is as corrupt as can be. Except for a few wild house parties for their friends they haven't accomplished anything.

2. CCA

CCA Emperor

I ran for student government twice this year

And ended up coming within a whisker's throw of getting in.

3. Arwon

Arwon

I'm technically part of the Student Representative Council of my university, because I edit our student publication. I don't get a vote but I've attended a few meetings.

They've got a budget of about half a million dollars, so they do actually have some influence, and they've managed to win a few battles with the uni administration. On the other hand, most students don't really know they exist.

The same entrenched people get re-elected every year, partly because they're the only ones who care enough to run, and partly because they're much better campaigners than the other parties.

Student politics are a bit more intense and meaningful at some other unis in Australia, though.

4. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

What University is this?

5. Gwyddelig

Gwyddelig Warlord

UCC SU were a cabal of drinkers, carousers and aspiring FF/FG/PD/Labour sorts. All the organisational nous of a distracted herd of wildebeest (without the herd instinct, natch) in other words but a low cunning for working a system and padding out their CVs for the day when they'd try to be a Big Fish in the Small Pond of local politics/Scorte themselves a cushy job with the uni.

6. Arwon

Arwon

UNSW. Universities with more intense student politics are places like ANU, Sydney and Queensland.

7. aronnax

Awesome, my Sister is in Queensland U. Well She is on a Korean Exchange Program. But when she gets back, I'll ask her about the Student politics.

8. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Isn't UNSW practically like a Singapore-run uni? Well, you can't expect much.

9. aronnax

Im intrigued, what do you mean Singapore-run?

10. mitsho

mitsho Deity

It depends heavily on the level and type of school.

In High SChool/Gymnasium, the focus in on activities. However, there is still a national and international level. In Scandinavia, the government pays students for a year to represent the interest of the students...

On the university level, the "party" and the "politics" area are mostly separated although some overlapping occurs. The clue is here that the relevance and power of the student unions change heavily from place to place. Places like Scandinavia and the UK have powerful Unions for example.

In any case, most of the stuff that happens and which the STudent union does, is hidden. There is much work, lobbying and sponsoring done that the normal student doesn't really gt to know. I know this, because I am very active on the national level (a bit international and a bit on the local level too).

If you are interested in the topic, I propose you take a look at the site of the European Student's Union: http://www.esib.org/ or the British one: http://www.nus.org.uk/ go on and click yourself to the lower university levels for your local or interested place and you will find much more. (I chose these sites because they are in English ;-))

11. Arwon

Arwon

Yeah what aronnax said. There was a failed venture to set up a Singapore campus, there's a lot of Asians here, but that's about.

12. aelf

aelf Ashen One

No, not talking about the Singapore campus. Dunno, actually. During the days before I went to university that's what some people said. Maybe a number of Singaporeans were holding important positions in the uni? :dunno:

13. bob bobato

bob bobato L'imparfait

At my High School, the SU was fairly important; people knew who they were and so on, but all they ever did was organize events.
    But some SUs were different. When my sister was on the SU, the teachers were on strike, so all extra-curricular activities were banned. Instead of sitting down and twiddling their thumbs, SU organized their own events in support/against the teachers. It was very confusing... they had a walkout which was supposed to protest against the ban of XCAs, but the media and teachers thought it was in support of the Strike. By winter though, they'd given up, and spent their SU class arguing with each other about nothing, or trashing their classroom.

14. aronnax

A quick dip in Wikipedia refutes this. The 22 members who govern the school are appointed by the Australian Ministry of Education. I doubt any rich Singaporean can buy their way in.

15. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Wiki doesn't say a whole lot. I looked. The academic board seems to have a few Asians (from Singapore?) at least, so maybe that's what people were talking about? Things may have changed too.

Or it could be usual Singaporean BS.

16. aronnax

Ill go with the usual Singaporean BS. It's far more probable.

17. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

To my knowledge, my student government just authorises protests that I disagree with.

Then again, I pay little to no attention to what they're doing, so it doesn't bother me.

18. AesronDrosseli

AesronDrosseli Chieftain

Oh in my school the student council is quite effective. Last year, we thought they were crap, so the student population demanded a re-vote this year. I'm proud to say that it's working pretty fine. They're organising stuff like getting internet access for the students, and the whole prom for the graduating level. They seem to be doing a fine job so far, and if things ever get out of hand.. Well... We'll just revote... *laughs evilly*

19. Arwon

Arwon

Yeah, aelf, they would have been joking about the high number of Asians at the uni both as students and staff, but just as many are Malaysian, mainland Chinese, Hong Kong, etc, as Singaporean.

Not quite. The composition of the University council is a combination of state government appointees, people elected by staff, alumni and students, and a couple of people representing things like the Academic Board.

20. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

At my community college they handle club funding and have epically dull meetings every fortnight pretending to be some kind of council by using the rules to order and such.

Unfortunately they embody the alignment of "lawful stupid". These gits even vote to adjourn meetings.