1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Student takeover at Evergreen State College

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civver_764, Jun 13, 2017.

1. civver_764

civver_764 Pro-Black

I've been following this story for the last few days. Pretty crazy stuff.

Long story short, there is a historical "day of absence" at this college where black people voluntarily leave campus. This year they flipped it, where they basically demanded that white people be the ones to leave. One of the professors, Bret Weinstein, called that out as being racist. The backlash was strong, and student protesters formed a mob to shout him down and silence him. Eventually this led to a full takeover of the campus (video below).

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...te-simmered-for-a-year-before-it-boiled-over/

Here's some footage from the takeover itself:

So there's a few issues to unpack here:

1) This is not some backwater college in the deep south stuck in the 1950s, this is a very progressive college. It seems to me like this is not a response to genuine racism, but the result of cultural marxist propaganda. Does the modern "regressive left" bear responsibility for this?
    2) Why does "anti-racist" increasingly seem to mean "anti-white"? I mean here we have all white people asked to stay off of campus, which is explicitly racist. Yet it is those opposed to that request that are labelled racist. Truly astounding.
    3) Why the hostility to free speech? This is not the first time we've seen student protesters preferring to shout down speech they don't like instead of engaging in an honest discussion.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Why does anyone need to leave campus to discuss this stuff? Did they run out of classrooms?

Lexicus likes this.
  3. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Chieftain

Why did they turn up to confront him over a month after the event had already taken place?

4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Clearly not. This is the type of idiotic behavior that emboldens the Alt Right.

The guy had a job to do, he went in to do his job, he doesn't deserve to be called racist by idiots because of his dedication.

5. civver_764

civver_764 Pro-Black

Not even. I've never seen anything close to this from the Alt-RIght.

edit: Nvm I think I may have misinterpreted what you mean.

6. Valessa

Valessa error 404 - title not found

Well, it does embolden the Alt Right, simply because people look at it, wonder what the hell is going on with the left, and join the opposition.

Wanted to create a thread about this a few days ago, but decided not to do so, because there was just so much stuff going on. A large part of the teachers actually supported the voices who want to get him fired for the crime of not leaving the campus, the teacher himself has given interviews and is clearly on the left himself, etc. etc.

The way I see it, it's identity politics driven to an extreme by idiot teachers, supported by an administration that bows to most of their demands instead of standing in for reason, and brainwashed students that have no real problems to care about. Needs to be cleansed by fire if you ask me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Nonsensical college behavior----> demonstration that "the left is crazy"---->embolden the alt-right

Nothing hard to follow in that. Cherry picking tiny data points to weave into their "vast leftist conspiracy that justifies every horrific thing we do" is the business of the alt-right media.

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

You have to be pretty dumb to swing hard right based on stuff like this. However plenty of people are really dumb so those who claim to be progressive should actually be progressive and not give them something legitimate to react against.

9. Manfred Belheim

So the alt-right is a convenient bogeyman for preventing the criticism of extreme "leftist" behaviour?

10. Narz

Narz keeping it real

It's sad, identity politics is toxic, and what civil rights fought against (rights/privledges/restrictions based on skin color)

11. Timsup2nothin

It isn't a question of "swinging" anyone to the alt-right. The point, at least what appears to be the point from watching Breitbart, is to convince the existing alt-right that things like "the only good Demoncrat is a dead demoncrat" are inevitably going to have to be acted upon.

12. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

That seems pretty far from the topic at hand, Tim. What's the link?

13. Valessa

It's less a big swing from the left to the alt-right, and more a slow migration from the center-left to the center, from the center towards the right, and from the right to the more extreme parts of the right.

That's still silly because only a small group within the left even condones that sort of behavior that we find on those colleges, but it's just how people work.

And I'm sure you'll substantiate these claims with a few links and not just play the "You have to just believe me there, and if you don't then I don't care!"-card again?

Glassfan likes this.
  14. Timsup2nothin

Nope. If you think the alt Right is full of people who just want to sing kumbaya and I'm a bad guy for misrepresenting them you are free to embrace them to your hearts content. Or go to Breitbart and start your own death threat collection.

15. Valessa

So you don't have any evidence. Got it.

16. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

As an older man, I think I've seen it all (Berkeley a generation ago vs Berkeley today). Social beliefs and behaviors always become outrageous out on the extremes - liberal and conservative. Irresponsible idiots populate the extremes, acting without awareness of the consequences - full of excitement and self justication.

Alt Left and Alt Right; a curse on both their houses!

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

As a Berkeley man (Berkeley a generation ago and today) I must say the extremism around here doesn't match your description.

We did field test a lot of the current debates in our schools and city governments a generation back which is a reason why I'm entirely unconcerned with the direction of the country. The enthusiasm for taking to the privilege oppression model will wane until it is properly sized. Then it will be useful rather than inflammatory.

Evergreen, meanwhile, is a strange institution.

Owen Glyndwr likes this.
  18. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

Ah, I'm a Kent Stater, and the distractions of the few hurt the majority who just want to earn a diploma.

I think the salient point is that we are only in the Summer semester. When the full student body show up in the Fall, we are going to see the big show.

IMHO, the crazyness is only just beginning. A year or two down the road we may look back on 2017 with nostalgia.

19. Timsup2nothin

Yup. I also present no evidence that cops don't like criminals. I think it would be mind bendingly stupid to claim otherwise and act like the absence of evidence proves the claim, but that's also your option.

Bottom line, when people express violent hatred towards me I don't stand around saying "gee, I wish someone would provide me some evidence that this is occurring so I could prepare myself." Now, the alt Right probably isn't expressing any violent hatred towards you. For all I know you are their second most favorite German. But that doesn't mean they aren't a problem for me, or for some other posters around here.

It also doesn't mean that nonsensical stories like this one aren't used to embolden the alt Right's foot soldiers.

20. Manfred Belheim

Stories of one group of people's actual violent hatred might possibly inspire another group of people to maybe consider talking about violent hatred at some point. The second group of people is the worst one.