1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

stupid question.....possibly stupid poster

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Le Singe, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Le Singe

Le Singe Chieftain

soooooo uh I feel like this is something I should already know but I don't so here goes...:dunno:

If you have a hypothetical reasourse lets say Emu - when you mouse over it, it might say something like:

+1 [health] with pasture
    +1 [health] with grocer

Now the second part is obvious if you have the reasource or you trade for it you get +1 health in every city with a grocer. My question is with the first part. i have always assumed that it meant that the specific city with the reasource in question gets the +1 health is this right? or does it mean if you pasture the reasource all your cities get +1 health? and what about if you trade for it? I always assumed the first line was irrelavent if you traded for it.

The reason I have started to question this is if my assumptions are correct then livestock that you might trade for is pretty much worthless until very late in the game (supermarkets). however the AI seems willing to trade useful stuff for it through out the game. I know it's the AI and its not always perfect but it would seem easy enough to tell it don't trade for stuff that's of no value. All this has caused me to start to question do these microchips know something I don't know?:badcomp:

2. zyphyr

zyphyr Prince

+1 health with pasture means that the resource provides 1 health when you have access to it. In order to access the resource you must build a pasture (or a Fort) on the tile and connect it to your trade network. Just having the tile/working it doesn't give it. Trading for it also gives access.

So, the AI is doing the right thing - they are getting the 1 Health in all of their cities (that are connected to their capital) when they trade for the Emu.

That first line +X with pasture actually has two slightly different versions, though both are represented in the same way:
    1)+Heath and +Happy = you get the bonus once in any city that has access to the resource, the listed improvement is what it takes to activate the resource. Bonus only applies if it is connected by the trade network to the city. The tile does not have to be worked. When traded, these bonuses apply to the person receiving the resource. The AI takes these into account in trades, and so should you.

2)+Food/Hammer/Commerce = You get the bonus for working the tile. These require a)the improvement on the tile and b)that the tile currently is being worked. It does not require a trade network connection. These bonuses do not go with a trade. The AI places no value on them in evaluating trades, nor should you.

3. kossin

kossin Deity

+1 :health: with pasture is good for all your empire, not just the city.
    +1 :health: with grocer is only good for cities with a grocer, like you said.

Yes, if you can, trade away livestock (even if it's your only one!) for happy resources. It's a great deal for you in the early game. Or you can trade it for grain based resources that get a bonus with a granary.

4. Hsinchu

Hsinchu Prince

Something I'm confused by: Iron says +1 Hammer and similarly other resources have a +1 that is not health or happy. What do these mean, if anything? I don't seem to get these bonuses in my standard production calculation.

5. kossin

kossin Deity

It's for the tile containing the resource only, sadly!

6. Hsinchu

Hsinchu Prince

Oh, okay. So, I guess that means its a reminder that my "empire," if my BFCs are contiguous could be producing one more of something than an unresourced version of the same tile. I, dunno. It seems dumb to tell me there is a +1 :hammers: in my trade screen if it doesn't have any meaning. Also, what about unimproved bonuses? I know that if I get a grassland copper, I'm positively giddy. How do we quantify the difference between improved, unimproved, traded, untraded, who cares, etc?

I'm going to guess that you mean, unimproved. I know that improvement leads to even GREATER bonuses than the initial boost of +1.

7. kossin

kossin Deity

Unimproved is correct. The tile keeps its bonus even if you trade it away.

8. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

As said above for things such as extra commerce, hammers, food its for the tile only. If its health its if its developed and for the entire empire (grocer health is for cities with grocers). Same goes for happiness (and with buildings)