1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid troops on the border demand!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by LoneDragon, Jul 26, 2018.

1. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

I just got a failure to keep my promise to move troops away. My closest unit is 4 hexes away....4 hexes!!
    If that's how far they expect me to stay away, that's the last time I make that promise!

Zuizgond, TheMeInTeam and ZubieMaster like this.
  2. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

The stupid AI is what makes Conquest victories so appealing to me. I don't have to worry about breaking promises to dead men.

Sedwick and Zuizgond like this.
  3. Council 13

Council 13 Chieftain

Yes, this is something that needs polish. Especially when you liberate a City state and all of your units get kicked out randomly to the edge of their borders. Most AI will immediately get upset and demand you move your troops. Very annoying and senseless. More annoying is this same issue existed in Civ 5 and they fixed it. How did it get repeated in Civ 6?

Sherlock and acluewithout like this.
  4. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

You should invade them using the Reconnoiter Area to See Why Leader is Insane Casus Belli. Sounds about as legit as their grievance.

BenitoChavez and CPWimmer like this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I never failed this when I was 4 hexes away. Never. Not saying it didn't happen, but keep an eye on your scouts, they are the usual culprits. Would be nice if scouts were exempt for counting as a military unit.

6. Kataklysm

Kataklysm Chieftain

Yeah, I don't intend to contradict you, but this happened to me regularly and almost every time it's because I have a roaming scout our ship that passes adjacent to the boarder at the wrong time. I think that 2 hexes away is how the game is coded, I doubt the distance is variable.

7. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

The problem is the vagueness.

Absent some direct UI indicator, there could at least be a hint given in the diplomacy dialogue. "Hey, your troops near Athens are scaring the horses. Kindly withdraw". And as usual, actual rule clarification would be nice.

narmox, Zuizgond and TheMeInTeam like this.
  8. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

I was pretty sure that they had to be within visual range of the AI's border. I'm pretty sure they can't see 4 hexes out. I know I can't.

tzu likes this.
  9. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

That's the first time I noticed it happening that far away. I have no Scouts or boats and I never never automate a unit.

Another funny one that happened recently: Peter asked me to move my troops and all I can think is "You want me to STOP killing the barbarians that are swarming your undefended capital??"

10. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

What is the point of Open Borders if they're going to get pissed anyways?

But the worst part is them complaining about this when war is not possible.

11. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

Does anyone know exactly how many turns you have to move you troops before it counts as broken? I guess it depends on game speed.

Here's another one they like to pull:
    Them: Can you move your troops from my borders?
    Me: *moves troops away*
    Them: *wait til I'm not paying attention and settle a city right next to one of my units - Promise broken when my turn starts!

craney1987 likes this.
  12. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I hate this aspect of diplomacy. It doesn't really add anything, the human has no equivalent command and is mostly triggered by accident rather than intentional buildup for a surprise. It makes troop movement a headache.

I get why it's in there. To stop humans from launching a quick surprise attack and gain an advantage they shouldn't have. Wouldn't it be better to just script the AI to keep a decent standing army and have them react to the sight of troops on their borders by massing troops in response instead?

Zuizgond likes this.