Stupidest 90s hit songs (and also some good ones)

The song I posted, I read in the YouTube comments that Beavis and Butthead made a list of sexiest female singers and they were #1.

The song is from 1990 so it really has more in common with 80s hair bands.

Spaceman, I only wanted you to go into Space, man

The song became a massive hit due to a fluke - got played at faster speed for an executive, and the band were forced to include the altered speed part in the record :p

I remember the 90s well lol.

I'm to sexy....

I don't think to many will remember this gem from 1991.

One big double entendre even aged 13 I was wtf?

If I wanted to start talking about dumb songs that somehow become popular, I'd be here the rest of the week. But if you're looking for just one, I think it has to be this.

I remember sitting in a bar in Ohio and somebody put this song on, and half the people in the place got up to do the dance, and I literally did a beer spit-take and said "What the [frack]?" out loud. Fourteen weeks at #1. Again I say, "what the [frack]?"

I was in..5th & 6th grade when that song was popular, and my reaction was the same. I still have no idea why people like it,but now it has an odd nostalgic hue.

Must be the worst decade for music radio ever.

Off the top of my head:

Aqua – Barbie Girl

Rednex – Cotton Eye Joe

Hanson – MMMBop

Kriss Kross – Jump

Ace of Base – All that she wants

"Barbie Girl" and "Cotton Eye Joe" were deliberately-crafted parodies and social commentaries, and they did that very well. "MMMBop," had a strong message behind it that obviously got missed.

^

View attachment 577971

I wonder what I am missing...

You're missing a video I can actually watch in my country.

People say that about every decade, though. Commercial radio is the problem. I could probably turn on my local "Hot 100" right now and within a few minutes hear something that makes me want to get waterboarded.

"Amnesia," was far better. A good song for the farce and fiasco that is the American Duopoly and the rigged, scam elections they run, and the lack of real, meaningful choice they provide and allow in the grand scope.

Chumbawamba - Amnesia - YouTube

I would have said this one:

but turns out it's from 2002 :/.

EDIT:

I actually like that one, but it's in some way just hilariously bad :D.

EDIT2:

:D

I liked "the Ketchup Song." Despite vapid lyrics, it was VERY well composed and performed otherwise.

Last edited:
This one always makes me want to bang my own head into oblivion.

I very much like this one, too. Also greatly underappreciated.
You misunderstand me. I didn't mean banging my head in appreciation, I meant banging my head against a wall in an attempt to induce unconsciousness.

But I have to admit, it's not stupid, just incredibly irritating.

You misunderstand me. I didn't mean banging my head in appreciation, I meant banging my head against a wall in an attempt to induce unconsciousness.

But I have to admit, it's not stupid, just incredibly irritating.

It's unfortunate you take your displeasure with a decent song to such hyperbolic extremes.

Top Bottom