1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupidest defeat ever ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Percy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

This one was hilarious ^^
    I start a B&S map on Noble (i know...), draw De Gaulle, and get a dream start only one tile away from my starting location: riverside, 2 fish, 2 clams, 1 plains sheep, 3 flood plains, 2 plains hills, 3 river grasslands, 2 grassland, and 6 forests placed over that. I get Mining and BW and build a worker first, while exploring with my warrior.

In 3300 BC, just after i discover BW, the Ottoman warrior which had been scouting pops a hut 3 tiles from my capital (2 from my settler's starting location) and gets... Barbs. In 3275, the Barb capture my worker (i couldn't move him, since it was inter-turn), and the next turn he captures Paris, end of the game.

The worst thing is: if i hadn't moved but settled in place, i would have popped the hut with my second border expansion, and this wouldn't have happened. Crazy =)

2. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

Update: by playing differently from an earlier save, i managed to pop the hut myself and avoid the barbs. So i kept playing happily, and was really catching momentum, until a barb uprising of Axemen crushed my budding empire into oblivion, since Copper and Horses were nowhere near me...

Some games you just can't win, i guess...

3. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Why don't you try ignoring the hut until you have a scout.

Since you know you have no Strategic resources, beelining to archery first would be a good strategy.

Even an Axemen will have trouble taking a CG 1 Archer in a city but keep 2 per city just to be safe.

4. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

Well, i was Industrious and had stone so i was trying to maximize that. 5 Axemen then appeared 3 tiles away from my borders, so it was gg.

5. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Pyramids Gambit huh? was it a Random event? where 5 barb Axemen suddenly appear on you're broader?

I get that event often but for some reason they never attack me, they just run off and attack my nearest AI opponent strange huh?

6. Kylome

Kylome Chieftain

IND and Stone on Noble?

*cough* Great Wall *cough*

7. andre.human@gma

andre.human@gma Chieftain

There was the time, last week, on Prince (I still have not won a game on Prince), where things were looking very good for a space race victory where my biggest rival was Cyrus and Wan Kong was suffering heavy losses to him in continuous wars. So I thought, what the hell, I'll help Mr Kong and gifted him Artillery during a lull so that he can defend himself better next time and thus curtailing Cyrus' power a bit. Of course, I failed to check the relations screen at the time. Sure enough, two turs later, Cyrus declares on me, together with his vassal, Wan Kong, who now had artillery, courtesy of yours truly! Not even Cyrus had artillery at the time. Was only me, before I so generously handed it around. neeedless to say, I did not survive that strategic blunder.

8. LionQ

LionQ Noble

Yea, that's one of those favors you don't want the AI to return. :mischief:

9. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

That's the event that happened, yeah, not just a barb warrior, that's why i was royally screwed... And one of the axemen did go out of his way to kill an AI scout, but the rest stepped into my borders and 2 turns later they killed my warriors...

Well, the game before, i had had a very bad start because i concentrated too much on wonders, so i decided to only go for the Pyramids. Originally, i had decided to not go for any of the early wonders, but since i was planning to run a SE, and had Stone on top of being Industrious, i figured i just couldn't refuse to build them. Still, i wanted to develop my empire a bit before, and plop 3-5 cities.
    And the GW was completed a couple of turns after i hooked up the stone. I can send you the save if you want, so that you can show me how to complete the two wonders and not be behind the other AIs a lot...

EDIT: dammit, the original save is gone, i didn't remember i had started a bogus game to check a few things =/