Subdue Animals mod for RoM

I had some disturbing AI behaviour with Hunter units that I was able to resolve changing some XML values. I play on RoM-AND-NWA 1.75b, Monarch, RoM_Terra, Marathon, Gigantic.

If an AI got the hunting lodge early It would rush Hunters against nearby civs. The Hunters could not take cities but any unit in the clear was killed. It was frustrating to face an army that was 50% stronger and twice as fast as anything else. And there is no early game counter for Recon units.

I didn't think this was what the hunter unit was designed for. In Subdue_Animals_CIV4UnitINfos.xml I changed the Hunter Power to 2, and raised the AnimalCombat to 150. This keeps the strength against animals the same, and I have not had a Hunter rush since I made the change. Sometimes my hawk will show an AI Hunter in the open, where [I think] it belongs.

And this is an awesome modmod, modpack, whatever. The opening game in Prehistoric is quite interesting now with my scouts hunting to subdue and my spearmen hunting to kill.

Thanks for that, I will make the change. I probably need to make a change to support the animal promotion in Prehistoric as well.

A reminder then if your going to change, about those ??? in the paragraph of the statement of food allocation.

Ah those, I think they were in an earlier version as I am not getting them. You have to make sure you have the latest XML and python if you are modding my version to fit with Prehistoric.

I will check I am using the same version in my installation ;).

Ah those, I think they were in an earlier version as I am not getting them. You have to make sure you have the latest XML and python if you are modding my version to fit with Prehistoric.

I will check I am using the same version in my installation ;).

HUH, thought this was the current version, oh well, glad you made the GraphicallyChallengedUnits separate, i really dont care for those, because they all look like Penguins :p

I was just thinking:hmm:, what if you made a promotion/python something that would increase the amount of % that you can gain when hunting/capturing animals, i think you have it set at 25% now:confused:

In RoM and RoM/AND it is not useful to have special promotions for capturing animals because they go obsolete fairly quickly except on snail game speed. So I reuse the existing Woodsmen and Guerilla promotions which any land unit can get.

The current base chance to subdue if they kill an animal is recon 40%, wooden ship 15% and other unit 5%. Each woodsmen and guerrila promotion gives an extra 5% chance. Which gives a maximum of recon 65% wooden ship 15% and other unit 25%.

The Hunter is a recon unit with a good chance of winning against animals. I am currently wondering if it should upgrade to an archery unit rather than the adventurer, just to make it more useful. I don't think I have ever used the adventurer, except as a healer type unit. In the Great Doctor mod the explorer upgrades to an apothecary so that is an alternative also.

In RoM and RoM/AND it is not useful to have special promotions for capturing animals because they go obsolete fairly quickly except on snail game speed. So I reuse the existing Woodsmen and Guerrilla promotions which any land unit can get.

The current base chance to subdue if they kill an animal is recon 40%, wooden ship 15% and other unit 5%. Each woodsmen and guerrilla promotion gives an extra 5% chance. Which gives a maximum of recon 65% wooden ship 15% and other unit 25%.

The Hunter is a recon unit with a good chance of winning against animals. I am currently wondering if it should upgrade to an archery unit rather than the adventurer, just to make it more useful. I don't think I have ever used the adventurer, except as a healer type unit. In the Great Doctor mod the explorer upgrades to an apothecary so that is an alternative also.

I agree i have never used the Adventurer either, plus alot of other units that are in the game but have waaay to low of str at the time you can get them. In NWA i even upped the Adventurer to str 13 which still is not good enough, and still not useful. Guess i will have to go thru those units that just dont seem useful either like the AA Guns and stuff also.

New version has been uploaded. See first post for download and details.

Important read install instructions in first post.

Fully tested in RoM 2.92 with AND 1.74h. Partially tested in the rest
  • Rise of Mankind 2.92
  • Next War Advanced == RoM - Prehistoric
  • Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn 1.75b

Changes
  • Fixes Elephant Herd and Exotic herbavoures graphics and Pig Herd pedia
  • Hunter spawn fixed (thanks to WimpyTheWarrior)
  • Sometimes when an animal was killed nothing happened when it should
  • fixed killed for food message for Penguin
  • Minor graphics fixes
  • Does not place resources on snow. So you capture the animal instead.
  • New building for subdued salt water crocodiles and changed the chance to capture them. need more buildings (hint.)
  • Added adjustment to chance to capture based on Prehistoric hunter promotion.

To do when I get round to it
  • fix which promotions are available to animal and subdued animal units
  • get the camel working
  • get the sounds for the hawk working
  • get someone to make graphics for the graphically challenged units ;)

@Dancing Hoskuld

I know next to nothing about making new units. Have you been making them or were they from existing units? Because I have some extracted animals from Zoo Tycoon 2 which are where most of the new animals in your mod are from. Anyways I wanted to make a Megatherium unit. And I have the 3D model and texture but I am unsure how to get it into the game.

@Dancing Hoskuld

I know next to nothing about making new units. Have you been making them or were they from existing units? Because I have some extracted animals from Zoo Tycoon 2 which are where most of the new animals in your mod are from. Anyways I wanted to make a Megatherium unit. And I have the 3D model and texture but I am unsure how to get it into the game.

I know next to nothing about graphics, I can copy and paste XML quite well ;) For example there is a Giraffe unit out there and I am not sure how to build the XML from scratch. I am about to try though.

So I guess you don't know what type of file I need to convert my 3D mesh into for it to work.

However do you know how to re-texture an existing unit model? Because I think I could make a bear look like a Megatherium (giant ground sloth) with the right texture.

No. Graphics are all a type of magic to me, even buttons which I have attempted but not gotten right. See my emu or other flightless bird buttons for example.

The hunter does need to upgrade earlier to another unit. I was thinking either the longbow or maybe a healer. Either way the hawk is a problem unit. I don't use it myself and only included it because it was part of the hunting pack (hunter, hawk and hunting lodge) that I recycled from WoC.

The hunter does need to upgrade earlier to another unit. I was thinking either the longbow or maybe a healer. Either way the hawk is a problem unit. I don't use it myself and only included it because it was part of the hunting pack (hunter, hawk and hunting lodge) that I recycled from WoC.

Infact mine in almost the complete opposite. I only use the Hunter if the Hawk is used also.:p

Perhaps the Explorer chain could have a cargo for the Hawk and then have the Hawk be upgradeable over time. Such as Hawk -> Hot Air Balloon -> Unmanned Drone Aircraft -> Nanete Spy.

Just what I was thinking. Stationary maned hot air balloons and even maned kites have been used experimentally in battles. Or that is what I have read somewhere.

Top Bottom