Submarine fires torpedo under land mass.

SirMaru

Chieftain
I was able to fire a torpedo from a regular submarine and sink an enemy submarine on the other side of a land mass. LOL.

I was able to fire a torpedo from a regular submarine and sink an enemy submarine on the other side of a land mass. LOL.
:lol:
Savegame please.
Confirmed using Standard 1.0.0.621. America did something similar to me.

Here's the savegame (actually two in a ZIP): http://www.sendspace.com/file/emban4

The autosave (called Submarine 330) is from before the attack and the savegame (Elizabeth 331) is from after the attack.

My destroyers are positioned to the northeast of Philadelphia. There's a submarine in the city. Clearly the destroyers are separated from the city by means of land. When it was America's turn to attack, the submarine shot straight through the land mass. I believe if you take the Elizabeth 331 save and just skip till the next turn, then the American submarine will again fire at the destroyers through the land mass.

I can confirm the behavior from the provided save games (Thanks for that!), but I'm not so sure this is a bug. The manual is very clear that subs engage in ranged attacks. All other ranged attacks that I know about have the same behavior. Is it clear that subs fire torpedoes?

:hmm: can ground-ground missiles be stationed on subs (i mean in RL)?

Well, the Wikipedia article on submarines states that they can fire cruise missiles. I'll move the thread to Confirmed Bugs, but list it as a possible bug. Firaxis can make the call.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

I just found this error when I was playing. An enemy submarine is able to fire a missile from their city through a landmass to my battleship. Obviously, this shouldn't be possible.

I've attached an image and the game file. It occurs with a sub from Teotihucan to my (damaged) battleship with the circle around it.

Attachments

• Sub-comp.JPG
    Sub-comp.JPG
    495.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Kamehameha_0315 AD-2035.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 316
I just found this error when I was playing. An enemy submarine is able to fire a missile from their city through a landmass to my battleship. Obviously, this shouldn't be possible.

I have been aware of this since long before I joined civfanatics, 3 years and still no fix?

While this is probably a game bug, subs in RL can and do fire missiles. Obviously missile subs carry a couple dozen ICBMs, which have continental range. Attack submarines (US Los Angeles, Seawolf and Virginia classes and Russian Victor and Akula classes) carry vertical tubes for shorter range anti-ship missiles as well as (at least for US subs) cruise missiles.

-S

Top Bottom