Submarine firing torpedo's through land tiles.

ColinTH

Prince
I was bombarding a CS with two Destroyers from the back of the Island, the CS built a Sub and I kid you not, It started to attack my destroyers whilst still in port. It must have had some really Hi Tech torpedo's!

I am well aware that most military ships are able to bombard over the top of land hexes, but submarines!

I was bombarding a CS with two Destroyers from the back of the Island, the CS built a Sub and I kid you not, It started to attack my destroyers whilst still in port. It must have had some really Hi Tech torpedo's!

I am well aware that most military ships are able to bombard over the top of land hexes, but submarines!

Surface to surface missiles?

I think they are using secret "Mole" torpedoes that after being fired, dig themselves deep into the ground, then dig their way back up on the other side to the water.. and then hit their target.

I sent my destroyers back to base for repairs and the super-sub proceeded to torpedo my Mech Infantry whilst still on land!

Below is a screen shot of Super Sub!

Attachments

• Super Sub.jpg
    Super Sub.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 656
Some of you guys may be thinking, that guy is just stupid, he hasn't realised that the City State bombarded his destroyer. I just played back through auto save, and I can assure you the City State attacked the Mech Inf and in the very same turn the Sub fired a torpedo through the Island.

I even moved the destroyers out of range of the City State bombardment (from auto save), the Super Sub continued to fire through the Island and wiped out both destroyers. "I watched the torpedo's", unfortunately I can't get a screen shot while there is action.

I was at war with Greece at the time, so I took a look at the bigger picture and there was nothing Greek within 30 hexes. Like I said I watched the Torpedo leave the sub and come through the Island hex.

Edit: Added the save file just before the end of turn where the Submarine shoots through the Island.

Attachments

• Super sub.Civ5Save
    783 KB · Views: 106
I had this happen to me once before, but the submarine attacked another submarine... I shot back, not expecting it to work, and killed the enemy submarine! At the time I thought it was a one off, and probably fixed by now as I'd not heard anything here since.

It would seem to be a very rare bug.

I had this happen to me once before, but the submarine attacked another submarine... I shot back, not expecting it to work, and killed the enemy submarine! At the time I thought it was a one off, and probably fixed by now as I'd not heard anything here since.

It would seem to be a very rare bug.

Thanks for the confirmation.

It seems to occur only when the sub is in port!

I can imagine some unscrupulous Multi player civ players using this to their advantage!

I wonder just how many land hexes it can shoot through?

Thanks for the confirmation.

I wonder just how many land hexes it can shoot through?

I've shot through 2 land hexes... I think the range will depend on the torpedo range of the sub... baring in mind that the last hex needs to be a sea one.

Until the bug is fixed, ...
consider that unit locations are actually a little vague so perhaps a sub was actually able to reach the target AROUND the land hex. :)

Locations are vague/amorphous because how else could you rationalize the enormous lines of sight of various units (especially the naval ones): the units are composed of multiple ships, and some of them are spread out scouting the various hexes.

Until the bug is fixed, ...
consider that unit locations are actually a little vague so perhaps a sub was actually able to reach the target AROUND the land hex. :)

Locations are vague/amorphous because how else could you rationalize the enormous lines of sight of various units (especially the naval ones): the units are composed of multiple ships, and some of them are spread out scouting the various hexes.

By means of retaliation, unfortunately I can't cruise through super subs port dropping depth charges!

By means of retaliation, unfortunately I can't cruise through super subs port dropping depth charges!

Yes, unfortunately sonar detecting subs is not 100% reliable, even with current tech. ;)
Sometimes the thermal layers in the ocean deflect/distort the sound waves. It's hard to fire at something when you don't know where it is.

Ironically, NON-nuclear subs are better at avoiding detection (new power systems that don't require oxygen vs. noisy pumps in nuke subs).

--
Hopefully, the bug will be fixed 'soon'. Meanwhile, don't abuse it and don't mind TOO much if the AI gets a free shot in once in a while.

I've managed to fire torpedoes from a submarine in the ocean hitting an embarked unit in an in-land sea (like a lake, but all squares called "coast"). See this screen shot and not the submarine to the left and the damaged Mech Inf just north of Monaco:

This is how it works from the beginning. It is a bug that never get fixed.
The sub can fire to 2-4 hex and it did not check if there is any land in the middle.

Yeah, the bug here is that the torpedoes have range, but may not strike land tiles, but there's nothing in the coding to make land tiles block the range, like how hills and forests do. however, lets not dwell on this, and instead revel in the absurdity of this :p

Maybe they fire the torpedoes at ramp on the beach, which launches them into the air, over the land, before landing on the chosen target? (saying its just sea-to-surface missiles is too boring folks! :cowboy:)

Torpedoing tanks or shooting torpedoes across solid ground is all well and good, but I want submarines to be able to shoot at aircraft.

After all, submarine launched anti-air missiles (SLAMs) which are fired out of torpedo tubes have been around for some time. Granted, they are mainly used against helicopters, which aren't likely to be over the ocean in this game. Still, if torpedoes can strike land targets, why not air targets, too? :cool:

Yea, I remember the first time I noticed it. Works fine when under ice; stupidly illogical with land. Basically land in Civ 5 floats on water like ice.

I just can`t be bothered to complain since I doubt it will ever be fixed.

Top Bottom