Subs

I would like to change some subs graphics.
I've really never liked that ugly black default sub; by the way, can you even tell the difference between a Missile Submarine and a Stealth Submarine? I don't, really.
There are a few choices around for new graphics, if we want to consider them.
Attack sub is ok to me, I guess we could replace Missile Sub with the Ohio class skin here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads/ohio_LrV.jpg
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10746
Adding a civ-specific skin for russian subs using that Typhoon model is an option. Same for the 688-class for US.
This would be enought to make a difference between missile sub and stealth sub. Since I really dislike that black sub, we could also change stealth sub model with this one:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads/astute_preview_93O.jpg
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8819
I know Astute isn't really a ballistic missile carrier but I think it's stealthy enough and its model would be ok to replace current stealth sub model.
Also on another similar subject, I'm wondering if Missile Subs should upgrade to Stealth Subs (like they do now) or if we should merge Missile/Attack Sub when we reach Fusion Subs, if ever at all. I think so, but I'd like to hear other opinions. After all, subs carrying nukes shouldn't ever get involved in actual combat, they should stay hidden.
There's another possibility: marking a distinction between embarked nukes (used on subs which are meant to hide themselves) and embarked conventional missiles (used on subs which are meant to attack other units). I'd probably like to make this change, it should be fairly easy. Right now you can also embark nukes on Missile Cruisers, which is ok to me but somehow reduces missile sub uniqueness. I could make missile cruiser embark conventional missiles and just 1 or 2 nukes. Same for missile destroyers.
Opinions?

The sub in the second link looks pretty cool :)

I can't really speak for what would be more 'correct/accurate', but as long as they don't look like they're taking up two tiles on the world map (Which is why I hated the look of that big black one. How huuuuge it was!) I don't mind any change :)

On another note, I also hate the Nanite Cloud for the same reason. Far too large for me to be comfortable with it :lol:

The sub in the second link looks pretty cool :)

I can't really speak for what would be more 'correct/accurate', but as long as they don't look like they're taking up two tiles on the world map (Which is why I hated the look of that big black one. How huuuuge it was!) I don't mind any change :)

On another note, I also hate the Nanite Cloud for the same reason. Far too large for me to be comfortable with it :lol:

There's also an Akula russian sub which looks pretty cool

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads/akula_7qX.jpg

I think I could re-scale some subs. Also I agree about Nanite Cloud.

I think that nuclear missiles are exclusively for submarines.Such subs are called ballistic submarines and i agree with 45°38'N-13°47'E that they don't involve in actual combat because they try to remain undetected.The rest modern subs are attack and rarely missile subs which carry only conventional or antiship missiles like surface vessels do.Also subs can insert special forces on enemy land so with advanced cargo it could be possible to add 1 cargo slot for special forces or marines.

I think that nuclear missiles are exclusively for submarines.Such subs are called ballistic submarines and i agree with 45°38'N-13°47'E that they don't involve in actual combat because they try to remain undetected.The rest modern subs are attack and rarely missile subs which carry only conventional or antiship missiles like surface vessels do.Also subs can insert special forces on enemy land so with advanced cargo it could be possible to add 1 cargo slot for special forces or marines.

Although you're technically right about attack subs, I can't see any scenario where you could use an attack sub to deploy special forces. Right now, they can deploy spies and I think this might me much more useful.
So I think I'll introduce a new kind of specialunit class (without introducing any new unit), i.e. SLBM (submarine-launched-ballistic missile), and I'll make the following upgrade paths:
Submarine (can carry spies) --> Attack Submarine (can carry spies and missiles) --> Stealth Submarine (can carry spies and missiles) --> Fusion Submarine (can carry spies, missiles, nukes/SLBM)
Missile Submarine (can carry nukes/SLBM) --> Fusion Submarine (can carry spies, missiles, nukes/SLBM)

As for nukes/SLBM that can be carried aboard a sub, I think I'll go with only IRBM (renamed "Nuclear Missile",see my other thread about simplyfying advanced nukes).

At the same time, I'll make Missile Destroyer and Missile Cruiser only able to load conventional missiles (right now they can also carry nukes); or I could make just 1 slot available for each of them to carry nukes (and more conventional missiles).
Does it sound reasonable?

Top Bottom