1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Subway Ad College Grad Can't Get A Job, Sues For 70 Grand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bigfoot3814, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32265981/
    There's a couple of things you should understand when you consider this story. Monroe College has a campus not too far from where I live, and I've been by it a bunch of times. It's the kind of school known by many names, such as a subway college, a bootleg college, and some others I won't mention. They're private institutions (not community or junior colleges), and they offer degrees in fields such as massage therapy, information technology, and eBay, however that works. If you've ever been in a major city you've probably seen ads for them on the subway or bus.

If you ask me, God bless anybody trying to get educated and improve themselves and their situation. But honestly, in this economy, there are major university graduates who can't get decent jobs. It's ridiculous that this woman should demand her tuition money back when she finds out she can't do anything with her IT degree from Monroe College. A wiser investment would have been community college or trade school.

Not to mention, the Monroe College Career Center, far as I know, doesn't promise or guarantee to get all their graduates a job, they only promise to help. I don't know Trina Thompson but I'm not ruling out the possibility that part of her unemployment problem might be her fault.

What do you think?

2. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

What do I think? The lawsuit is ridicurous, of course! Totally ridicurous.

3. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Shoulda chosen a real subject instead of an easy one which looks smart to guys, harhar stupid bint.

4. CaptainF

CaptainF The Professional Poster

Haha, well if you can't get a job like the rest of us, might as well sue.

Can't say I blame her, I could use $70K right about now!

5. QuoVadisNation

QuoVadisNation keeping your angel alive

Basically.. it is her fault for not thinking before doing. If she thought ahead she would have gone into something useful that could land her a job in spite of her school. We're also not aware of her gpa and her major.

On the other hand? I WANT the school to lose. It's no secret sub-par American universities, campuses, (and law schools), try and sell themselves as something they ain't. They then proceed to convince the student to take out loans in their naive youth that they shouldn't have taken in the first place for the school's profit. That, or pay out of pocket. Lots of times students in humanities and else take out loans not realizing it's usually worth diddle or just not worth the cost until its too late. This isn't a soap box argument, I'm just saying maybe at least one university should get a swift kick in the rear end for taking advantage of often incredibly ignorant peoples. Not to mention adding consumer fraud charges on others to boot.

6. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Why would anyone spend $70k on tuition for a school like that when they could move out of country and spend half as much on tuition at a real university?

7. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

It's kind of like that old lady suing McD's for her coffee being hot and burning her. Basically it's common sense that education doesn't guarantee wealth, but if the school recruited her fraudulently in a way that supports her claims, then power to her. I believe there are a few more technically-focused schools that foster close relations with business and make claims of like 100% placement after school, so perhaps a case like this has validity under some circumstances?

I sympathize with her, having been in similiar straights with a decent GPA (over 3.0) in a relatively decent economy, and in the end I joined the military after an exhaustive search. My revenge is my GI Bill isn't going to my alma matter this time around. :)

Curious if she exhausted the possibility of joining the military?

8. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

In other news would anyone like to join in a class action against a cadre of unscrupulous bootstrap manufacturers? The makers of said bootstraps have been selling defective products that seriously injure hardworking folks that try and pull themselves up by them.

9. QuoVadisNation

QuoVadisNation keeping your angel alive

Done. How does 90 percent earnings to client, 10 per cent to attorney plus court costs contingency sound?

10. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

I was thinking clients get coupons for 10% off new bootstraps (redeemable in 1 year), I get everything else.

11. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

GG for profit "education"!

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Uhhh she paid $70,000 for tuition for a "subway" college?

What the hell is wrong with her?

The University I went to is a world leader in math/computer science/engineering and $70,000 would have gotten you uhmmm 20 terms of education = roughly equivalent to 10 years.

13. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

$70K? What was she? Like, an 8 year college student?

Edit: And she's got a 2.7 GPA. Link.

That's a B- average (Assuming her college goes on the + and - system. Mine did and I hated it, because it screwed up my GPA. But that's neither here nor there).

14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I'd sue whatever organization stated that I'd be making $500,000 or more if I hold a bachelors degree.

15. Integral

Integral Can't you hear it?

I would have, you know, not believed them.

16. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

It sounds ridiculous, but I presume she must have some grounds for pursuing this case.

17. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

It's America

18. Theige

Theige American Baron

Yea I saw that in the paper too Bigfoot, pretty ridiculous.

Its a private school, $70k for 4 years is very much on the low side. The top private universities cost over $50k per year.

19. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

But its a subway college, who pays $70k for those?

20. Adria

Adria Prince

The article I first saw earlier today: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/College-Grad-Cant-Find-Job-Wants--Back-52304162.html

So apparently they didn't help her enough. They gave her an education, and they provide assistance in looking for a job (I'm guessing in the form of helping with resumes and the like - services that many people pay for).

It sounds like she expected them to provide her with a list of job offers upon graduation. That's not how it works - one still has to go out and look for work!