1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Subway Ad College Grad Can't Get A Job, Sues For 70 Grand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bigfoot3814, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

So it sounds like she isn't suing them because she can't find a job, but because she paid for a service which she feels she isn't receiving. Stupid media sensationalism.

2. dido

dido Prince

just that it is private school doesnt mean the tuition should be high. You can easily find some public ivies with out-of-state tuition around 10k/semester

3. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

This is no worse than the Art Institute. They give you degrees in truly useless stuff.

4. Theige

Theige American Baron

There are no public schools in the Ivy League.

I do agree that there are some great public schools that are fairly cheap, even out of state.

Also, your 10k/semester example would result in an $80k cost for a 4 year degree... higher than the $70k the student in this article seems to have paid.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

6. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

double post

7. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

So you want to randomly punish 1 university and let the others off? Sounds very fair.
    The article doesnt' say anything about GPA, major, or the efforts that she has done. Any university's career center (small or large) doesn't guarantee jobs. They recruit potential employers, help with resume and interview skills, etc

Completely without merit. The gall...

Oh, and I went to a top 10 public university which cost me maybe 30K. Seriously, 70K? How long was she there?

8. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

9. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

$70.000 is 30 years of tuition for me, even at the low dollar-euro exchange rate. (Yay government!)

Sounds like a pretty frivolous lawsuit to me.

10. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

$70,000 would have got me roughly 35 years at any university in the country, though tuition has as much as tripled since I graduated.

11. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

70 grand can get you through some good real colleges even in the US. Possibly that amount could even get you through top colleges.

12. Theige

Theige American Baron

13. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

It'll still get me 14 years of undegrad tuition :/

14. Adria

Adria Prince

Here you go:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/index.html
    First, seriously?? Call the employer yourself and make your own case. Don't rely on someone else to do it for you.

Second, maybe those companies don't have any openings; a lot of companies are letting people go these days, not hiring. Maybe they got better applicants from elsewhere. Just as a person may use multiple resources in looking for a job, an employer can use multiple resources in looking for prospective employees.

15. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

There is a reason why subway colleges don't just immediately collapse under financial stress ;)

16. RalofTyr

RalofTyr King

This lawsuit will only succeed if the school actually guaranteed she'd have a job right after graduation.

17. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

The college should offer her employment as a toilet cleaner in the alumni services department.

18. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

That's priceless! :lol:

19. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Over here, some students were complaining in the newspapers that there are not enough places for internships that local universities can fix up for them because one university allegedly 'block-booked' places for its students.

As a student who studies overseas, I sent my internship applications directly to potential employers. So do many other people.

Yeah, much ado about nothing, and it happens on the other side of the world too.

20. pau17

pau17 King

IT is skills-based. Having a degree means squat if she can't sit down and start programming useful stuff. I know plenty of 18-year-old kids who probably know a lot more about programming computers than she does, judging from the degree requirements and the GPA.