Succesion LK7 - Babylon - 20000 pt challenge

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
Worker automate is not fair is sucession games - please do not use it

Playing -
LKendter (on deck)
Pggar
Sirian
cdub
Garsonga (currently playing)

Game size is locked. No new players, and if a drop out, will cut back to 4, then 3.

Domination / Conquest victories disabled.
I want to see a non-military win game.

Civs = 12
World = Large, Wet, Warm, 5 Billion, large continents.
Difficulty = Regent
Barbarians = Roaming
24 hours to verify you can play your turn, 48 hours to play.

20000 point city guidlines - 1 worker should concentrate on developing Babylon. Babylon should ONLY build wonders / cultural unless nothing available. My favorite then = Barracks, and lots of veteran troops. Babylon should NOT build a settler under any conditions. I wonder if a 20000 point win can be pulled of with a tag team game? That is why I started this game. The setup is perfect.

I played 40 turns to get us going. I will post once I get some signups. This is a game for Development players.

I guess the game is loaded, but count me in if anybody drops, or if you're willing to go for a fifth player.

When you said Babylon shouldn't build settlers under any condition, you meant besides the first one, didn't you? Otherwise, this will be the first Civ3 OCC succession game. :D

Pggar - I put in you the game as player #5. I now you a good succession game player, and like having a known player.

I am letting you move next :)

To answer your question - Yes, Babylon built settler #1. It will never build another settler. It may build a worker *IF* a wonder is a long time away, and city is maxed for growth.

This is a locked out for more players unless we have drop outs.

3950 BC - The great city of Babylon is formed. It's hopefull destiny is culture capital of the world (20000 culture city). Masonry is in the science queue. A couple of early wonders will help a culture rush big time.

3700 BC - Our first warrior is built. Thanks to the wonder of Cattle, settler is already coming up.

3600 BC - A tribe gives up a map. Nothing much exciting to see.

3450 BC - City site #2 is spotted. Another cattle spot is found.

3300 BC - Our first settler is grown, and plans to go to the mega cow spot.

3000 BC - Ur is founded, with 6 double production squares.

2900 BC - Babylon whips out a temple, as you can't start culture early enough.

2710 BC - Spices are spotted. I think city spot #3 is decided.

2310 - Another civ is spotted, the Zulus. Buy a worker for $27. Helps us alot, a slows down Zulu devlopement.

2270 - Ur produces a settler, and they are ordered to march to spice land.

2190 - The Babylon warrior defeats babarians, and becomes a Veteran. The palace expands again.

2150 - I buy pottery from the Zulu for $63 and $1/turn. Expensive, but you have to keep in the science race.

Summary - I played 40 turns to get the game started. After this up to 20 turns. I give you the following :
- Settler #3 to build a city with
- An extra worker to connect Ur and Spice City to our road net. This insures 1 worker to improve Babylon, like my guidelines suggested.
- Plenty of shields queue up in Babylon to switch to Pyramids. Build Pyramids first, then Colussus starts up again. Colossus is a great standby when you get shielded out. We are much more likely to be beat to the Pyramids.

A guideline I may have missed - Hold Great Leaders for Wonder rushing in Babylon - The only exception Forbidden palace.

:crazyeyes I promised to nag if Babylon is doing anything silly:crazyeyes . Outside of that, no real commentary.

2110bc - Pggarabi rises to power in the Babylonian Empire.
2070bc - We discovered the secret of Masonry. Trade it for Warrior Code + 9 gold with the Zulus. The Pyramids will be finished in 47 turns.
2030bc - Pggarville was founded.
1990bc - Babylon grows. Pyramids in 33 turns. Explorer warrior becomes elite
1790bc - Warrior destroyed a Barbarian camp.
1700bc - Settler leaves Ur.
1500bc - Finished my 20 turns. Babylon is size 6 now and can't grow till we connect the city to the source of gems. Don't take the warriors outside the city either; otherwise the citizens will riot.

The next player will finish the Pyramids (13 turns, I think). If we’re beaten to it, there’s the Colossus and the Oracle, but we seem to be the only civilization building wonders at this point. We’re researching Polytheism. It’s a good advance to be traded because it’s one of the last to be researched by the AI in the Ancient Times. Also, it’s in the path to monarchy. Here’s a screen with our settler and some suggestions of city placement. Good luck to whoever comes next.

Attachments

• city location.jpg
    city location.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 828
Up next - Sirian

Next goals for Babylon = Oracle, with Colusus as a standby. Keep expanding our empire.

I didn't keep a turn by turn log, but here's a summary of my reign.

Inherited turn: first action, increase luxuries to 10% and get that last worker into play in Babylon. The gold from the road paid for that anyway. Two turns shaved off Pyramid ETA, food increased to three, city to grow to 7 before Pyramids completed. Sent the settler on to the cattle area, near where Pggar marked one of his preferred sites. Sent the free ranging warrior eastward.

Next few turns: founded Ninevah, set it to building a warrior, with plans to rush a temple and barracks eventually. Ran into Zulu scout returning from the east. Next settler sent around past Babylon, another queued up. Warrior trained in Pggarville, considered rushing the temple, but shields were going at a good clip, calculated better results from not rushing, left it alone.

Next few turns: luxuries increased to 20% to keep Babylon at max output (once again paid for by the road). Founded another city near Ninevah, closer to home than Pggar indicated. The Zulus seem far enough away still not to need to rush rush out to grab the wheat area, and cities closer to home suffer less corruption, and can build more settlers more quickly.

Pyramids built. Took a turn to get a "free" worker from Babylon, since it takes the same amount of food to go from 6 to 8 with granary in place as from 7 to 8 without, and the city will grow back to 7 in a couple turns. One turn of shields used at Babylon, but I saved two turns or more with luxury use, so judge as you see fit. The extra worker was set to building roads out to the south, starting with that big old mountain.

Latter turns: Temple completed at Pggarville, which is in fine shape now and building settlers at what should be a good clip. Ur is suffering, but I'm fond of irrigating cattle and wheat squares, and it's now chugging out four surplus food per turn. Need some workers in the area, I think, but that must fall to someone else. Founded yet another city, this one near to Ur. Our "homeland" area is just about filled in now, except for cities to the east, where I found more spices and grasslands. Ninevah is training a veteran spearman. I'm leery of running warriors for too long, I like to get some military going on the frontier. Spearmen also being trained in the other new cities, but no barracks or temples there yet, on-deck player may want to flip these to temples.

Why we are so far from Literature with the Babylonians, I'm not sure, but the Zulu could not offer Alphabet, so I stuck with the plan I inherited. Polytheism is almost done. Colossus is almost done. Could perhaps swap that to Oracle, in the HOPE that other civs don't have their wonder-building cities on the coast, and we can snag Oracle, Colossus AND the Gardens. Of course, that could be risky, so I'm glad somebody else will be making that decision. :)

I thought this was going to be a one-city challenge. Since it's not, this should go over quite easily on Regent. We have the Pyramids and are spreading like locusts at this point. I personally would have irrigated the cattle at Babylon, but I did not undo the mining. And now, at this point, it's too late to matter so might as well leave it alone. I did irrigate the one at Ur, though.

NOTE: Luxuries must again be increased to 20% ON THE NEXT TURN, to keep Babylon at max output (and to prevent riots on the turn after that). I doubt we'll need more than 20%, but since all our hopes are to be pinned on cultural victory through buildup at Babylon, it seems to me all our efforts should be bent to helping it along.

Enjoyed my 20 turns, looking forward to the next go-round. How many turns will the next round hold? Don't think I saw that posted. Best of luck to the next leader -- and Happy New Year!

- Sirian

Up next - cdub

Babylon should have very little irragation. We need production max.

Change Babylon to Oracle. We can also fall back to Colossus. Oracle has a higher culture rating.

Where are the luxuries? I do notice a good city site north of Babylon.

Our biggest need - More military.

That is an awesome starting location! May I ask how you will build all the wonders in Babylon without the computer building them first? I actually just won a culture game with the Americans, only 8 wonders in Washington, and I won both ways.

Nice luxury rate managment. I'm using military strategies so much in my games, that I forget to use this.

Ohwell, we'll build all our wonders in Babylon. The AI will probably beat us to some wonders.

Lee, the city location is far to the northeast of Babylon. There's two spice sources there.

Originally posted by Ohwell
That is an awesome starting location! May I ask how you will build all the wonders in Babylon without the computer building them first? I actually just won a culture game with the Americans, only 8 wonders in Washington, and I won both ways.

I did restart to get this position. I only try for a 20000 pt game when -
1 - River (Growth / Hoover Dam)
2 - Ocean square (Collusus, Magelleans Voyage).
3 - Multiple 2 production squares

The computer will get some of the wonders. You don't need them all. The key is to get them EARLY, and the good ones that produce multiple culture points. A couple of 6 point ones help a lot. Biggest key I found - Capital city builds 1 settler, then temple, then 1st wonder.

There are still challenges -
War - you start weaker with this play. You need enough play room to keep Babylon going with wonders even during war!
Expansion - you cut a good settler source. Not a problem this game, as we have several cow cities.
Micromanagement of Babylon - How many times have you missed a wonder by one turn.
Science - Fail for a great science rate, and you will get killed. My current SP France found Leo's Workshop completed before I researched invention.

Pggar - Another spice city would be nice, but we need to find a different luxury.

Irrigation vs Mining. Sounds like a simple equation, but as with pop rushing via the whip, it can be more complex than what shows on the surface. A lot depends on the rest of the land you have.

In this case, there are about five or six grassland with shields, plus the cattle, some grassland without shield, a hills, and several mountains. Presuming cattle first, then several grassland with shields in a row, for the worker, it goes something like this.

If you mine the cattle, you get one extra shield per turn. Period.

If you irrigate, you get one extra food. This reduces the time necessary to grow another size from seven turns to five (without granary, from four to three with granary). If, upon growing, you bring a grassland square with shield, mine, and road online, you would get another 2 shields and 1 commerce from that. If you get that two turns sooner, you've picked up four shields and 2 commerce, by the time the city would grow with the cattle mined.

So... after seven turns, with the cattle mined you are at +7 shields. With it irrigated, you are at +4 shields, +2 commerce. Ah, but the irrigated cattle will grow AGAIN in three more turns, vs seven more for the mined cattle. If you then bring another mined, shield and road grassland online, you get another +2 shields and +1 commerce per turn from the newly worked square. You then have four turns of this before the mined cattle version would catch up and grow. That's +8 shields and +4 commerce.

After 14 turns, the mined cattle are at +14 shields. The irrigated cattle are at +12 shields, +6 commerce, and will grow again in one more turn, after which, the extra shields from the extra population unit will SURPASS the mined cattle and pick up net gains from there on out, until a ceiling is hit where you need an aqueduct, hospital, or more happy faces, to continue to grow, at which point you could always go back and mine the irrigated cattle, if desired. Being on a river further adds to the commerce gains. Could make two turns difference on a discovery, that early.

Now I know it's not as neat as that, as workers may not have fully improved squares ready to come on line, or the land may be less ideal than this plot of ground -- and settlers and granaries change the balance -- but the principle still holds. It's not just a matter of mining=production. Also, once out of despotism, it stops mattering at all, as every irrigation or every mine, on a plains or grassland, is equal to any other.

I would have irrigated the cattle. I would also not have whipped the temple in Babylon. We bought eight to twelve rounds of culture at 2 per turn, and maybe as many as fifteen rounds of 1000-year bonus coming sooner, at 2 per turn. So for about 50 culture points (which will be ONE turn, in the final equation, assuming all other things being equal, which they won't be), we whipped, which bought us either 26 or 24 shields but cost us a population unit, which is 2 shields and 2 commerce per turn, uh, forever. Or thereabouts. Definitely worth considering whipping a temple at 60 shields, but just 30, you can build that pretty quickly in the capital. A lost population unit in some corrupt frontier city, no big deal, as the shields from them would be wasted anyway. It's a much more problematic action closer to home. The farther from home, the more worthwhile the whip. At least in a building game. If your whole empire is poprushing horsies and rolling across the land, that's a whole different situation, in which you never expect to get out of despotism and don't care about anything in your cities. If you want to build, the whip should be weighed in its true cost, which means looking ahead at the full scope of what is lost vs what is gained.

Then again, if the land were a little poorer, or a little richer, it would make the same difference as being more, or less, efficient. And the game can be won without perfect land, so it can also be won without heroic efficiency -- which is a good thing for me, because I overlook stuff all the time. In my turn on this game, I lost a turn at Ur for not paying attention to what squares were in use. Made a mistake or two in exploring, not paying attention to what was shore or not. No cities rioted, but I get that on a regular basis, every few turns one slips my attention.

So in the end, theorizing has its own limits. You got us off to a grand start, lkendter. Our position looks good and I like our chances. :)

- Sirian

Sirian,
Well it looks like I have met someone who has spent more time on micro-management then me.:lol:

My logic was more to be able to start the Pyramids early, and not get beat to them. However, looking at your comments on city growth and gained shields, it may NOT have paid. True, I did start several turns earlier, but I failed to consider the size that Babylon would be for building the Pyramids. 7 turns later, but ahead by one pop point. In the end, did I save any time? :confused:

On the other hand, a city with flood plains, including wheat flood plains, is an auto whip city.

Waiting Up next - cdub, only at 12 hours.

Change Babylon to Oracle. We can also fall back to Colossus. Oracle has a higher culture rating.

I have downloaded the game, I have never tried this type of play before..... I am giving it my best shot! :king:

The honorable King Cdub takes the thrown, behold....

Inherited Turn- First things first, I switched the luxuries to 20%, Babylon is now constructing the Oracle.

975 BC- Ninveh is changed to a settler in an attempt to hury the expansion before the greedy Zulu. I sent the warriors out to explore the east and south more.

950 BC- Ashur completes spearman, a temple is ordered.

925 BC- Our exploring warrior discovers a native encampment.

900 BC- Warrior disperses the native encampment, 25 gold added to the coffers. Pggarville produces settler, a worker is ordered.

875 BC- Sending exploring warrior back to Nashur.

850 BC- Ur produces a temple, settler is ordered. Polytheism is discovered, the alphabet is orderd to be researched.

825 BC- Worker orderd to mine near Ur *Yawn*

800 BC- Worker produced in Pggarville, a barracks is ordered.

775 BC- Ninveh produces settler, spearman is ordered. Spearman in Ellipi is completed, worker is ordered.

750 BC- Worker constructs road near Ur *Zzzz*

730 BC- Oracle is constructed in Babylon :goodjob: ! Colossus is ordered.

710 BC- Ur produces Settler, barracks are ordered. Road is completed to the southern city of Ashur.

690 BC- Ashur produces a temple, a worker is ordered.

670 BC- Ellipi produces worker, a temple is ordered. The worker that is constructed is going to help a fellow worker on a road to the eastern future spice city. Akkad is built in one of Pggar's "future city locations" SW of Nineveh, a spearman is ordered to be completed.

650 BC- Alphabet is discovered, writing is ordered to be discovered (14 turns).

630 BC- Ashur produces worker, barracks are ordered.

610 BC- Pggarville completes barracks, a bowman is ordered to help protec the workers to the east. Spearman completed in Nineveh, a worker is ordered. *Uruk is built near the two spices to the east!* A temple is ordered so its borders will expand more quickly (possible whip for the next ruler???).

590 BC- Irrigation ordered near Babylon.

570 BC- Worker completes mine near Ellipi.

550 BC- Ur produces barracks, a settler is orderd. The filthy Zulu's buil Tugela is exact location one of our settlers was about to get to.

Well there are my 20 turns! I built 2 cities in some good locations, I have two workers building a road to connect Uruk as quickly as possible. I also researched the alphabet, with writing on the way, my thinking is that we should get to Literature as quickly as possible. I also produced extra workers to get roads and improvements up and going faster. Colossus is not far away, but I believe there will be some down time before the next wonder comes. I am really liking this game! I am so used to mass producing military and sacking cities, gets to be a chore after awhile. Good luck to Garsonga :king:

Top Bottom