Succession game - The glorious Persians

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
LKendter
jc011 (dropped??)
Belisarius (Currently playing)
Hobbes (on deck)
Pggar

Questions? Issues? E-mail at lkendter@speakeasy.net

I ask that each player submit a turn summary like the next post below. Make sure to attach your game as a zip file.

We start the Glorious Persian Empire. Should be interesting. I have never played the Persian's before. Industrious and Scientific with Immortals. I don't have an auto game plan for them. However, I think libraries will be a very good goal.

4000 BC - Our people have been wondering for ages. We think it is time for a new home. The desert is nowhere for us to start our glorious empire. We decide to move a little.
3950 BC - Our worker moves north and sees what we want. Some grassland with shields :)
3900 BC - The Persians begin their empire. Persepolis is form in a region with a decent region with grasslands to the North, and 3 gems to the northeast of our city. Our first luxury is available, and we order the production of a warrior to help our great empire. Our scientist begins the great search for knowledge, in the way of Ceremonial Burial. It is said that great temples will help keep our people happy, and our culture will expand. The river will allow our people to build a very large city for our capital.
3850 BC - Our worker begins building a road, which will soon be part of the great road net of Persia.
3400 BC - First contact ARGGGGGG! The Zulu. We have heard of there aggressiveness. A conscript warrior, some of the huts have been taken. But for now, we are happy to trade. We give up Masonry, but get Pottery and all $10 of his gold.
3350 BC - We meet the glorious Nubian tribe, and they Ceremonial Burial. We offer it to the Zulus, but they want 2 techs and 18 gold for Warrior code. There is plenty of nearby sand for them to pound. We begin researching Iron Working. With the nasty Zulu nearby, we need a strong army.
3300 BC - The people of Persepolis rejoice in the gems we are collecting.
3150 BC - The Harrpain give us a map of the region. We are very grateful this time. For they give our people a direction to go. To the west, grassland. To the southwest, spices.

Summary - We should get 5 gems at some time. We know we can trade luxuries latter in the game.

Goals - The settler is just a couple of turns away. Build another city, you can decide where. Wheat flood plains and crack the whip may very well be the best choice. Get that last grassland improved, and figure out what to do with the worker.

UpNext - JoeSpainiel

EDIT: Out of date attachment deleted.

hmmm, persians were going to be my next civ! hmmm, should be interesting, gl joespaniel! :goodjob:

:egypt: joespaniel takes the reigns of power :egypt:

3000 BC - Fired the incesant muscians that played in our court! :hammer:

Sent emmissaries to Zululand, and made a deal with Shaka to teach us a warriors code in exchange for 50 gold. Our relationship with this tribe seems good.

Persian warriors exploring the west discover dye in large quantities. We immeadiately hope to aquire this soon.

2800 BC - Zulu homeland discovered! Right in the midst of the dye! A new Zulu city was founded on it as we watched helplessly. We cannot afford to make enemies this early in our developement. Perhaps we can trade them gems for dye later, if an enterprising leader builds a road to them.

(hint):enlighten:

2670 BC - The Babylonian kingdom is discovered to the south of our capitol. Hammurabi is arrogant, but not aggressive to us.

2630 BC - The Mauryan tribe teaches us about their many Gods and religious customs, mysticism!

The city of Pasargadae is established south-west of the capitol. We are staying away from food-plains to the immeadiate south for fear of disease.

Work begins on a great palace in Persepolis.
(not the improvement, the screen)

2470 BC - The Khosian tribe teaches us to make the wheel. The road to Pasargadae is completed. A new road south is begun for future expansion.

2270 BC - Barbarian raiders are encountered near the city of Ur, and destroyed for the benefit of relations between Persia and Babylon. We need to make friends when we can, its a cruel barbaric world.

2150 BC - :eek: An aggressive tribe calling themselves the Germans is discovered to the north-west of Persepolis. They have beasts called horses and a are warlike people. We tried to appease them by staying away from their cities of Liepzig and Hamburg. They also have a luxurious elixer called wine.

We do not wish to anger these people! Perhaps they will trade their horses for our gems? We may or may not need them.

2070 BC - Fearing having so many tribes in such close proximity could lead to war, barracks are started in Persepolis, after a group of settlers are sent to found a new city to the southern mountainous area. Spice can be found there, and should be secured for our people.

(BIG HINT!!!)

2030 - Our friend, Shaka of the Zulu's offered to teach our people an "alphabet" in exchange for 70 gold. After aquiring so much gold from taxes and minor tribes, we agreed to his offer.

Developing a means to produce iron is still underway, but is getting close. Future kings of Persia will command immortal armies of great warriors weilding this metal.

This aging emporer groes weary of this world, and will abdicate in favor of new, younger royal blood.

Here it is, for whoever's next. Make us proud!

I got us WAY ahead in tech! Very lucky!

I recomend using the existing settler to found a city close to the spice 5 squares south. Build a temple to "block" Babylonian expansion. Finish the road so Persia has two luxuries.

If more roads can be built on gems near Persepolis, like Ikender pointed out, these could be traded later. But this is for many turns down the road.

You will have immortals soon. Im jealous!:D

Good luck!:goodjob:

Next up - Skidiwili

I am suspecting that we are on a medium size world at best. Time will tell. I have NEVER seen so many Desert squares. :( We must be on an arid world. Cold world? Tundra seems awful far from the south edge.

I agree with Joe Spaniel. Let us get that spice on-line. The settler is on the way for city #4. Skidiwili has a rough decision. My feeling is that nice block on Incense. We will have plenty of trade potential then :) I have more then once gotten techs for a single luxury.

Somewhere down the line - The big decision of getting into the flood plains.

Good luck to Skidiwili. May Iron show up.

If cities are built on desert, one square from the food-plain itself, that might avoid the disease problem. Im just guessing.

Theres alot of gems to trade! Thats great. The real $64,000 question is: Where is the iron??? I have my money on the "triangle" of mountains by the spice or the mountains north-east of Babylon.

You know, it isn't real clear with the floodplains. My understanding was the risks is if you irragate the flood plains, but I can't tell you where I say it. However, what I hate is zero shields. You can't mine. Good depotism cities when you can kill people, but later on...

However, we will have to settle them. At least for border locks, and to make sure someone doesn't get cute with the gems.

I built a city on a flood plain once. It turned size 2 population, and with no irrigation a disease broke out. Very disheartening.

However, as you pointed out, it seems inevitable for Persia to build there. To fill up the void, so to speak, if city #3 goes by the spice, and #4 by the incense. Persia will have to accept some outbreaks from time to time. :(

One good thing I noticed was a settler/worker producing city could exist there. Quick re-population.

Good job with the start Ike, I forgot to compliment you. Glad you waited to settle the capitol. Early exploration around Persepolis was great too. All I had to do was keep going.

Actually, the name is Lee. As in LeeKendter. I should have picked a better user name :(

The act of building a city = build square irrigated. That could have been the problem. I been using flood plains in my current game with ZERO disease.

I was very glad I waited a bit on the capital. I hate to lose some turns, but flood plains = no shields :rolleyes: . Worthless city once you leave depotism. Finding the lot of games was a nice bonus.

My current game, trade = Iron :confused: Very risky. But I am getting 40+ gold a turn. I love having the gems overload.

Of course Gems, Spice, Incense. That does help this game. Moderately happy people.

Sorry Lee. Now I know better.

We could call you the L-ee-fant ! ;) :lol:

I was reading the strategy threads earlier. If a granary was rush built (whp-psh!) in a city on that flood plain, it would become a worker/settler super-factory!

It could be the key to a future infrastructure.

Actually, that may very well be our goal this game. I super settler factory out of the flood plain ;)

Oh well, enough talk about the game for now. Let's see what the next player brings.

The younger royal blood comes to rule in the form of SkidiWili. His twisted wisdom enlightens the people of Persia.

1990 BC - The city of Susa is founded and our brave pioneers continue to build the road towards the spice.

1910 BC - It is a great moment for our glorious empire. An iron resource is near our capitol and second is between the cities of Pasargadae and Susa. After short consideration our wise-men make their way towards an invention called writing.

1870 BC - We sold a minor invention of alphabet to the German and Babylon for 35 gold and 1 gold/turn. Then our clever traders bought the art of riding the beast called horse from Zulus for 65 gold.
1790 BC - Babylonians steal 'our' incense.

1700 BC - A settler sent to secure the spice.

1650 BC - The barracks is finished in Persepolis. We start to build a worker now.

1600 BC - A worker is built in Persepolis and they start to build road to the iron. One of our brave warriors are slain in battle with barbarians.

1550 BC - Arbela founded and the spice has been secured.

1525 BC - We discover a new civilization which is beyond the Germanic people. This people is called 'Indians' and we immediatly have good relations with them. We trade the knowledge about Japanese to the knowledge about Babylonians. The Japanese seem to be barbaric and agressive cilization somewhere beyond the Indians.

1450 BC - The two first spearmen are ready to defend our
empire. Also new settler is started to be build.

1425 BC - We will have iron in 5 turns.

Suddenly the people get fed up with SkidiWili. With a quick uprise they seize him, throw him in a small closet and lock it. The people nominate a new wise leader to lead them. But SkidiWili that the people is easy to deceive and that he will raise again to lead them in - let's say - few hundred years.

This is my first succession game... I never could have quessed that 20 turns would be that short...

Well I didn't get those immortals, but the next one will get. Also I'm suggesting that we should use those immortals to suggest the Babylonians to move away from our lands. That's it. A military campaign against the Babylonians should be in order, because we are mainly on desert area, there's jungle in north and the Babylonian hills, mountains and grasslands to the south. That Bab area sounds too nice to be theirs.

So arm up brothers! There are people on *our* land!

kelper - Up next

Skidiwili, glad the exploring continues to go well. I can't believe another massive desert near India. Usefull land is real tight this game. You are right, 20 turns are short. Of course, if we get into a late game war.

Science warning - We need to turn Susa into a worker / settler factory. To keep at least $1 for science, build a road to the wheat next to Susa. We need to free up some of the cities for other duties. Also, Susa needs a culture building to secure the second iron. The way this game burns through iron :(

We have Iron, but no horses. Kelper, I suggest the next city go by the horses / triple game spot. Helps us, and I don't Babylon to get it. Zululand and Germany know of communications with the French. Could we be playing on a single continent? Our culture is suffering big time, as most of the countries our unimpressed with culture. That culture building in Susa is looking very good. The $64000 question. Where do we start building wonders? I think Skidiwili is right, early war with Babylon. Their capital shows great potential for wonder builing.

Good luck Kelper. We have a challenge ahead of us.

Good job, Skidiwili! Our empire is growing!

I was looking at the map, and its unfortunate for the Babylonians but, they will probably have to go.

The Immortal is an OFFENSIVE unit, and being such, I suggest we go on the offense.

Two groups of two or three immortals each, one at Nineveh and Ur simultaneously, then Babylon itself with one or two from each group, as one will stay at the conquered cities to garrison, obviously the most damaged. A sneak attack would be prudent.

This could take some years to orchestrate, but I think we could win quickly if we act soon. Keeping good relations with Shaka is key.

Germany and India will probably compete from the looks of it, so India may be inclined to favor our mighty empire. Remember, the Germans are the most aggressive civ (with the Aztecs), so I hope they go north away from us.

by joespaniel
I was looking at the map, and its unfortunate for the Babylonians but, they will probably have to go.

I hate to say it, but I agree. I generally prefer to take someone NOT of my culture group. It really makes a difference.

Example - As Babylon, my major headaches have been England / Russia. While the culture group of Persia / Zululand saved my butt vs. Russia. Zululand is chewing up a lot of English troops, letting me get my city back and more.

However, we need a good production city! Babylon shows the most potential - Forbidden palace, then wonders galore?

kelper - start setting this up!

Is Zululand our culture group? If so, that could be why Shaka was so friendly to me when I contacted him. The Zulus could be a worthy ally to Persia.

Im exited to see what Kelper does. I hope he builds some barracks and then immortals! *sniff* Is that Babylon burning I smell? :D

Option #2 - If we trade with Babylon, gems for incense, iron for horses, we could ensure a lasting peace. Just a thought.

Eventualy there will be some BIG war on this little continent, and we should have some allies.

Ofcouse the best "ally" would be a Babylon under our control... mwah-hah-hah ...

:satan:

Good luck Kelper! Have fun!

*sniff* , do i smell some evil plotting!! :D HEHEHE, well, I guess I can take the Offensive route this time around! Can't wait!

So, we take out the Babylonians first?

Top Bottom