1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Succession Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by NoAnswer, Feb 2, 2015.

1. NoAnswer

NoAnswer See You Space Cowboy...

I know that there's a subcategory for this but it has been pretty dead. All I know is that there are one or two games still somewhat active but...

I was wondering, anyone interested in a new succession game? If so of course I'd rather someone with experience would host it, but I'd be very interested to play a game together with you guys and discuss it in depth! If not then I guess I understand that time is over haha. I guess I came back to Civs too late. :(

Civ5 is so basic that it takes the fun out of it... There's really almost no variables or thinking involved. I hope that the interest in Civilization III doesn't die because it remains the most complex of the games.

I hope you guys think about maybe starting this up again! Also QSC!

2. tjs282

tjs282 Quintessence of Dust

C3C SGs aren't completely dead -- see my sig for the Emp-level SG I took part in last year, along with (Acronym,) Lanzelot, MrRandomGuy, Choxorn, CommandoBob, and Elephantium.

I might be interested in doing another one, maybe at DG this time -- but that depends very much on the proposed Map-settings (still haven't replaced my current laptop, which starts creaking during the late game on Standard-size maps, let alone anything bigger). Lanzelot and/or Choxorn might also be up for another SG, if they have time (C-Bob hasn't been on CFC since October last year -- he didn't see us win the SG :sad: ).

But you'd probably get a larger total response if you reposted this request in the main Discussion Forum (or asked a Mod to move this thread over there) -- along with a proposed list of settings -- rather than here in Strategies & Tips. And even though the Stories & Tales/ Succession Games subforum is not very active, it is still watched -- and that's also where the game itself would usually be recorded.

3. NoAnswer

Thanks for responding!

Haha, well, I don't think I would/should be the one to initiate the game as such. There are much more experienced players who it's better to entrust that responsibility to. I mean sure we could pool everyone's suggestions, yeah.
    As far as proposed settings, personally I wouldn't mind playing something like Ottomans, England, Carthage, or Germany just because I'm German and never play them. Or even Piu Freddo's Austria?!! That'd be nice!

I think something too powerful like Agri should definitely be avoided. Industrious might be nice, though, for an emphasis on worker actions. Maybe we could set the world to Cold so that we might need to adjust and build more coastal cities. Deity and Demigod sounds fine yeah. I feel that Sid would just lead to secretly blaming each other for small mistakes that could cost us the game!

I agree with you that Large and above maps are pretty troublesome. I wouldn't even have any objections to a Small map for once, which I believe are for some reason shunned around here.

And yes I wouldn't mind if a moderator moved this to the appropriate forum =)

4. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I would be willing to participate in another SG, but not as game host. Not enough time for that at the moment.
    I also would like some unusual settings that haven`t been done before. The last couple SGs in which I participated were: Germany, Babylon, Celts, Vikings, Germany. I haven`t played for a long time: England, Korea, France, Rome, America.

A military or a peaceful victory condition?

Yes, someone please move this into the SG forum... ;)

5. CKS

CKS Chieftain

I think I have time to play. I'm open to any game settings or victory conditions.

6. NoAnswer

Sounds good. Since it's a commercial civ it'd be nice to go for Science. I wouldn't necessarily consider that "peaceful" though. But yeah going for a space race victory would be nice.

I can't even remember the last time I played england. The cheap harbors could lead to even more commerce from coastal cities. I like it.

I guess Rome could be OK as well. Going for a Leader to build a FP in an economically advantageous position is nothing to frown at either.

7. Cotta

Cotta Chieftain

Thanks for asking me, NoAnswer. But it's too much work for me especially talking/discussing the circumstances, strategy and so on...
    I wonder if Lanzelot seems to have time for that although he's the main diplomatic in our Democracy Game (CiV - which I don't play yet, just watching and talking). ;)

Have fun! :king:

8. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Two out of the last four of the SGs I was in, were Space Races, so I'd love to do something different for a change... How about UN? It's a bit faster than Space, but also a science game. (And adds the extra "fun twist" that we need to keep good relations with at least a few of the AIs... :D)

PS: And England is quite nice to play, especially on an archipelago. Sounds good.

9. CKS

CKS Chieftain

England, archepelago, UN sounds good to me. What level? Do we want to pick opponents, or choose randomly?

10. tjs282

Full disclosure: I never played above Monarch before ABLES-SG (although I'm confident I can now handle solo Emp-games -- at least with an Agri-Civ!), nor ever on an Archi-Map (neither in Vanilla nor C3C). I prefer all-Random opponents, no Culture-linked starts, and usually play(ed) on all the middle geography settings (so I could better judge my progress from one game to the next).
    Spoiler :
    My first Conquests game was as England (no real reason, they were just next on my 'to play' list): I won Space (preferred VC), and could probably have won Dom if I'd really felt like kicking the Incas for a bit longer (they DoW'd me, yer 'Onour) -- but not 20K/ 100K (never really tried for that), and probably not UN either (the Incas were obviously Furious, so were the Chinese, shivering on the tundra island I'd left them with, and the puny Greeks, although grateful for the Incan cities I kept gifting them, nonetheless remained staunchly Annoyed at my Awesomeness). And that was only at Regent, so not really applicable here.
    So a Standard-size 70% Archi map would be interesting for me, especially if going for a long game. I think DG should be do-able -- or maybe even Deity, seeing as the ship-shy AICivs will need a little more edge? If you're happy for me to join in, I'll do my best not to cock up (and Lanzelot, I won't ask so many questions this time -- unless I need to!). But if you guys do decide you want to try this at Sid, I might just :popcorn: instead...

NoAnswer, seeing as this game is your idea, it seems appropriate for you to host it -- how hard can it be, right? ;) Post a list of game-stats and a roster in the SG subforum, roll a couple of starts, post screenshots. Once we've all agreed which start we like best, play your 20T and post the first turnlog+savegame

Lanzelot's house-rules for polite SGs (IIRC):
    1. Next player posts a 'gottit' or 'skipme' within 24-48 hours
    2. Then posts an action plan within 24 hours
    3. Team discussion as needed (max. 2-3 days)
    4. Player plays their turnset, pausing if/ when further discussion is needed: e.g. re. MGL-use (or how to avoid losing an unguarded city to an amphibious lone Archer...) :mischief:
    5. Player posts the turnlog+handover notes/ suggestions (and takes the :rolleyes: gracefully!)
    ... worked pretty well for us last year. That's to say, despite a few :aargh:-moments, discussions still stayed relatively civilised :p and no-one actually :mad:-quit the team, which has got to be worth at least a couple of intuhnetz...

11. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Chieftain

I' d like to play.
    Demigod preferable.
    As "conditions" I suggest as "England" we should build Smith and Shakespeare.
    UN victory OK, but I am not an expert for this VC.
    Ivan

12. tjs282

That's 5 players interested, so why don't we kick this off?

On an Archi-map, especially at DG, presumably one of our primary early-game aims would be to spam out (suicide) Curraghs to make early contacts and tech-exchanges?

I like the idea of aiming for Shakes and Smiths -- and since Charles Darwin and Tim Berners-Lee were/are also British, can/should we also try to claim ToE and TheInternet...? ;)

I just checked my C3C cheat-sheet, and England's GA-prospects look ... interesting. A SEA+COMM Wonder-GA is actually possible using any one of 4 GWs:
    • Colossus (but we won't have BrWork immediately, so at DG this would probably be built by a SCI-Civ before we'd be able to do it, right?)
    • Lighthouse (we start with Alphabet, so beelining to MapMaking is possible, if someone beats us to CoL/Philo --> Rep)
    • Smiths (matches the suggested game-aim, but comes late, and Economics is an optional tech)
    • Magellan (but our UU is unlocked with Magnetism, so researching/buying that would be preferable to Navigation, if we still haven't had our GA by that point)
    Therefore the English GA most likely begins either in the early- to mid-AA (Lighthouse), or not until the late Mid- or early Industrial-Age (Smiths or UU-vic). So which would help us more -- using our GA-shields/ commerce to build Libs/ Markets/ Ducts to get us out of the AA ASAP, or to build Banks and (research/ buy Steam + Industry =) Factories in the early Industrial (assuming that buying/stealing Industrial+ techs makes more sense at DG+ than trying to build full-priced Unis to research them)?