1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Succession Games

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Icewise, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Icewise

Icewise Chieftain

Can some1 explain to do me what they are about and how they work please?

2. omni_paul

omni_paul Mr. Shambles

Basically between 4-6 people each take turns at playing the same CIV game. Usually each player takes 10-15 turns at a time, then writes a detailed report of what happened in their turnset so that the group can discuss tactics and the next player can proceed.

It's a great way to see how others play the game and pick up tips on how you can improve.

Some SG's also introduce variants, or particular styles or restrictions on how that particular game is to be played. These are usually based on an element of roll-playing.

3. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

It's also a great way to meet some cool people on the board ~ as, of course, Paul knows . . . :D

4. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

The above is a very nice version of what happens. SG games are all about playing better than everyone else. You get to read what they did and yell abuse from a safe distance. Then when it is your turn, you play perfectly and leave absolutely no room for them to yell abuse at you.

Actually, the above is all a joke (and should be read as such). SGs are about learning and keeping the game alive. In prior CIV incarnations, I have basically stopped playing after 2 mths and started hacking the system (only I can build warriors and all warriors have str = 99 - that type of stuff). SGs are about playing the game, but more importantly, they are about meeting people, discussing ideas and having FUN!

5. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Why, whatever do you mean? :rolleyes:

:lol:

6. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Maybe if you played better you wouldn't get yelled at so much ;)

:lol:

7. Rannos

Rannos "For the Emperor!"

So, one could safely say then that it is sorta like american democracy where the current plaer becomes 'president' of the civilization for a while then cedes control to the next guy?

8. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Not really. Usually a general strategy is agreed upon by the team, and players that don't adhere usually get :nono:. While there is some room for individual improvisation, it is mostly a concerted team effort. I'd say it's closer to a Basketball Team that rotates who takes the next shot.

9. Rannos

Rannos "For the Emperor!"

but still it is a rotation as to who actually controls things, right?

10. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

yep, although skips and swaps do happen. it's rarely rigorous.

11. Codeman

Codeman King

it's also nice to play civ with people who love the game as much as you do. i'm married. civ is just something my wife isn't into. she doesn't understand 'just one more turn' but she has learned to accept it. at least in a seccession game my team understands, and they understand my wife doesn't.

12. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

my job didnt understand 'one more turn' this morning. I didnt get in until like 10:30 to a giant pile of backlogged work. I am Canada (mod) and I am at war with Russia.... whats more improtant than that?

And as far as a Succession Game goes.... ive been reading through some of them. I really want to get in one, but im moving twice in July, so I may be without internet... when I return toward the end of July I am going to start one. Im trying to dream up some great parameters for it.