Sudden Trade Cancellations

Leventis

Warlord
Playing a game as the Dutch the other day; was tech leader with large empire and all the rest and by about 1600AD was heavily trading overseas. I had befriended Saladin, Zara Yaqob, and Boudica, and had around 4 trades going with each + OB. Anyway, one turn I hit [enter] and about 8 or 9 trades I had going were suddenly cancelled, including all 3 OB agreements!?!? :eek:. Now, I was either Friendly or Pleased with each of them, and have no idea what happened to me since they didn't DoW me or anything. Checked the Foreign Advisor, and was able to get all of the trades back up and running again--strangely a few of the original trades were still in effect.

So as it turned out, normal service was soon resumed, but I can't recall this ever happening to me before. Has anyone else encountered anything similar before, or have any explanation as to what happened?

Cheers.

Was it all for the same resource? Some techs obsolete resources, I think industrialism obsoletes fur... that what it is?

Were they all the same religion and one of them had the Apostolic palace? If so it could have been a 'stop trading with the infidel' vote.

Was it all for the same resource? Some techs obsolete resources, I think industrialism obsoletes fur... that what it is?

No, just had trades like gold for dye, pig for sheep, etc. And from what I could tell, the AIs didn't suddenly trade all amongst themselves. Like I said, I was able to get all the original trades back that turn. Weird. :crazyeye:

Where they all the same religeon and one of them had the Apostolic palace? If so it could have been a 'stop trading with the infidel' vote.

Again, no. I was running Free Religion anyway and was Pleased/Friendly with them all. Just thinking it could be a quirky BtS thing.

Free religion makes no difference. you cant escape the AP

Yeah, for this to happen you wouldn't even have to have their religion in any of your cities. What would happen is that if the vote passed, everyone who did have the AP religion in their cities would have to cancel all their deals with you.

Can the AI Blockade with ships, maybe?

Free religion makes no difference. you cant escape the AP

Well, to give you an overview:

- I was the only one running FR.
- Saladin and Zara were Jewish.
- Boudica was Confucian.
- Lincoln was also Confucian and at war with the other three.

I can't remember who built the AP and who was the leader (wasn't me ;) ). So you think it could be an AP thing from the situation I described?

**Also, like I said before: Not all of the trades were cancelled, which kind of makes me think it wasn't an AP resolution.

Almost certaintly was. The AP can be your best friend, and your worst enemy.

**Also, like I said before: Not all of the trades were cancelled, which kind of makes me think it wasn't an AP resolution.

Could it be some of the trades were going <10 turns so couldn't be cancelled? I don't know if the AP overrides the 10 turn rule or not.

It seems likely it was the AP though. In my last game Justinian got it and he was constantly stopping everybody trading with anybody - until I got judaism in one of my cities and kept voting NEVER! :mischief:

I kept having this same thing happen to me in one of the first BtS games I played. I didn't see any AP resolutions, nor notifications that an AP vote had taken place. I was able to re-establish the trades as soon as they were all suddenly broken.

The very same thing just happenned to me as well. It was quite a blow, because I was the chief merchant of the world as Carthago, making major money from foreign trade routes...

and I suspect it was the AP. I was running Free Religion, 3 civs sharing the same religion (I believe Confucianism) cancelled all their deals with me at the same time + Tokugawa, who had a different state religion, but then again he could still be a non-full-member in the Confucianist AP if he just has the religion in even one of his cities, right?

I could get some of the deals back on track, but not the Open Borders agreements... did you also get the OB's back, or just the trades themselves?

Maybe I should have built that Apostolic Palace after all, just to prevent this from happenning.

Could it be some of the trades were going <10 turns so couldn't be cancelled? I don't know if the AP overrides the 10 turn rule or not.

It seems likely it was the AP though. In my last game Justinian got it and he was constantly stopping everybody trading with anybody - until I got judaism in one of my cities and kept voting NEVER! :mischief:

Checked the save, and turns out that Zara Yaqob built the AP and was the president or whatever it's called :p But, as I thought, I was at +10 and Friendly with him at the time. Is it possible for him to be that nasty and cancel trades under these circumstances. Don't forget, he was also at war with heathen Lincoln (-14) at the time, so wouldn't he be the one to suffer from such a vote? I'm still uncertain, especially given that I was able to get my trades with Zara back the next turn... :crazyeye:

I could get some of the deals back on track, but not the Open Borders agreements... did you also get the OB's back, or just the trades themselves?

This is exactly what happened to me. Trades back the same turn, but OB took a few more turns to become available again.

Same thing happened to me. I was able to get the resource trades back the same turn. Also some civs would not sign OB with me for a few turns even tho friendly / pleased, tho a weak civ would sign defensive pact but not OB heh.

I saw no msg for AP in event logs. Also if it was an embargo from AP, wouldn't it take 10 turns at least before the AI would start trading with you again? Can you break an embargo in 1 turn?

The other thing is that you recieve no contact from them telling you the deal is off... Shouldn't they pop up with the options of "Won't you reconsider" and "Care to negotiate" when they break a deal?

One thing or another is bugged here... If it was AP, then you shouldn't just be able to get the trades back the next turn, otherwise what is the point?

If it is not the AP, then why are they canceling deals at friendly, with no contact from them?

I saw no msg for AP in event logs. Also if it was an embargo from AP, wouldn't it take 10 turns at least before the AI would start trading with you again? Can you break an embargo in 1 turn?

The other thing is that you recieve no contact from them telling you the deal is off... Shouldn't they pop up with the options of "Won't you reconsider" and "Care to negotiate" when they break a deal?

One thing or another is bugged here... If it was AP, then you shouldn't just be able to get the trades back the next turn, otherwise what is the point?

If it is not the AP, then why are they canceling deals at friendly, with no contact from them?

I agree. Something is definitely amiss here and need to be looked at--usually when the AI cancels trade deals their leaderhead comes up and notifies you. Would really like someone to clarify this, as I haven't seen it listed as a BtS bug.

But, as I thought, I was at +10 and Friendly with him at the time. Is it possible for him to be that nasty and cancel trades under these circumstances.

I have controlled the AP once after taking it from Willhem van Oranje (sp), and I never got the chance to choose the vote. I think the votes are somewhat random and chosen strictly by the game engine -- not the person controlling the AP. Luckily, I had enough population to be the deciding vote by myself. :)

Can anyone confirm or correct the above?

I had a strange and somewhat related experience last night. I was at peace with everyone, when all of a sudden, at the start of a turn, I get a "Peace Deal with Peter has been canceled" (whatever the wording is). It was quite odd as we haven't warred at all, let alone up until 10 turns ago.

I get these often, and I think the reason is because I've begun begging to my friends for gold. I think that now whenever an AI gives you a gift of gold (and tech?), you automatically sign a 10-turn peach treaty -- even if at peace.

This keeps you from getting gold and techs from a friend just before you backstab them, which is exactly what I tried to do once and was foiled due to this. I ended up attacking a different AI instead and nearly caused a full-scale world war. :eek:

Top Bottom