1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suddenly I can't play anymore : /

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by Kyroshill, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

So I decided to start a new game this morning.... wasn't feeling the archipelago map from last night....

Started a game as Egypt with Steam online for a change....

Repeatable CTD at Turn 8

Started a new game as Egypt.... CTD turn 12....

Set Steam to offline mode....

Started new game as Egypt.... CTD turn 14....

Rebooted... loaded Steam in offline mode...

Started as France.... CTD turn 28.... :sad:

WTF??

Did something change that I don't know about since last night?

Ideas?

EDIT: D'oh! I remembered that *I* made a change last night.... video option which doesn't take effect until next restart... CTDs were happening upon meeting my first civ... dumba$$..... LOL

2. Yuufo

Yuufo Chieftain

Some historic parabola. France survived longer than Egypt. The USA are due to crash on turn 35 ;)

3. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

That's funny :lol:

4. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

I put steam in online mode yesterday(hadn't since the .621 patch) and a steam client update was downloaded. Besides that nothing with Civ V has changed. I don't think a steam update could really effect the game.

Perhaps it could be a memory problem. Try running memtest overnight to see if you have any errors. Also I had a few ctd before while playing, and occasionally afterwards a windows message would pop up saying I was running low on ram, and to switch my background to windows basic. I have 4gbs of ram, and don't run anything besides steam and the game, so it seemed odd. After my third time of ctd with this message I switched to the basic background setting. I haven't had a ctd since. It did free up a good chunk of ram, even though most the time civ v never used more than 2gbs, sometimes it was eating up more ram then it should have.

5. BlindZenDriver

BlindZenDriver Chieftain

Could it be you change some game settings last night but did not restart the game. If so those changes will have come into effect when you started playing today. Try setting the first video option to minimum.