Do you want the suez cannal

• Yes

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

Injury20

Chieftain
Just an idea that I would like some other views on..

How about a small wonder or technical advance that allows you to create a river of some discription through your continent to allow ships etc to travel through.
I thought of this on my current game im playing a huge map version and it takes me about 30 turns to move a naval unit to the other side of my continent.

If you agree vote below maybe Sid is watching...

If you build a city where there's only one tile of land, your ships will be able to pass through it, as if it were a canal.

I did that for the panama canal.

That would be rather cool. I voted yes...I am not sure how you would do it..but..I guess they can worry about that in Civ4.:)

p.p.s how about adding pubs as a city improvement to increase entertainment and happy citizens. It works for me every Friday night how about you guys. (sorry and Girls)

I voted yes, but across a whole continent is silly. No ones ever done that that I know of :)

Id say probally 3 tiles max, and make it like a terrain improvement similar to railroads.

ie) have a worker build a canal improvement that allows ships to pass. Rule being they can't be built more than 3 tiles from the ocean.

Example: O = Ocean (coast whatever) C = Canal improvement
O-C-C-C-O would work
O-C-C-City-C-C-O would work
O-C-C-C-C-C-O would not work, the middle C would be too far inland :)

Also, i would say you can't go through mountains :) But they did that in panama :)

I guess its a good idea, but how would it work? would it be a whole big fat river on the square?? will it be passable by other units?? or in between the squares like the normal rivers??

Sounds like a good idea! :goodjob:

The problem with the Suez canal would be that Wonders need to be attached to cities.

I would love a Suez canal small wonder. I would say it could connect any two oceans with a maximum of three land spaces between them. Perhaps you could build it in a city with one or two spaces of land on either side or something.

I miss the inland seas from Civ2, you cant seem to build a port or marine units on the bigger lakes anymore.
I miss the land mass map where it is like pangea but with small inner oceans.

Sorry for stepping on your thread, Injury; But what about the same to bridge a 1 square ocean to link continents?

I absolutely love the idea of a Great (Suez/Panama) Canal wonder, as well as a Great Bridge/Tunnel (Chunnel) wonder.

They'd probably have to be Great wonders, since a) you wouldn't really want the map to be dotted with them and b) the advantage to being the only builder is having it in your territory so that you're the only one who could use it.
Culturally it probably wouldn't be worth much, but there should be a big boost to gold for the city that builds it (like a bank or marketplace - think of all the addtional trade revenue!).

Let's hope they're planning for some really cool additions like this for the multiplayer patch/edition.

Stravaig, are you a 'aints fan? I just moved out of the Crescent City a few months ago. Cool.

I dont think it would hurt to have to be a Great Wonder, because how many small wonders does the AI really build, beyond the CIA and the Apollo Program. Also, like the Iron Works, these two wonders would depend on geographic anomalies of thin land or close continents.

So new wonders:
Suez Canal
Chunnel

How about Macchu Picchu - a city you could build on top of mountains? Or, once you build machu pichu, your settler can settle mountains...

This wonder was supposed to be in Civ 3 anyway

and the with the great wall you where going to be able to select an actual area on the map and it would wall it off in some way

:scan:

You could make it like a small wonder that workers build :)

Just make it require such an immense amount of turns for the worker to finish that you end up literally having to pile on dozens of workers for 50+ turns to get a simple 3 tile canal done to represent how hard they are to build. It'd be fairly realistic that way given what the french and then the US went through to get the panama canal done.

Also id tie the canals to different techs. Basic ones through desert/grasslands (flat terrains) wouldn't be so hard and maybe possible in the industrial era. Mountains and hills would require lock systems, and probally should come late industrial/early modern.

Bridges would be about the same thing :) Since workers can't step on water though, the only thing I can think of is requiring a worker on both sides of the water and require them to both build at the same time.

Tunnels are cool too, but I honestly can't picture how they'd end up looking on a 1 level map :)

I love the idea of a worker built wonder!!!

A tunnel would look like some dotted lines under the water with gates on either side.

So, not to divert the thread, but what about

Trojan Horse: like an army but ignores walls, provides a defensive bonus, makes all units within move at 2...

Top Bottom