1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suez, Panamá and co.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Riker, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Riker

Riker True Metal of Steel

Hail.

Since BTS, forts are now working as canals. So I've thought:

Has anyone created graphics for channels? They should not be too hard to implement and would add to the realism of places like Suez. Available with, I don't know, Steam Power, givin' some commerce bonus. Adding an invisible something on certain plots, they would be buildable only in certain places.
    What do you think?

As always, we need our god's voice, of course

Farewell

2. tariqari

tariqari Warlord

I think this would be a great idea...but the mechanic would have to only allow a few squares of channeling, so that if your the king of the world you can't suddenly make Moscow have water front property...

I'm not too sure but I think that forts are working that way right now.

3. Riker

I think that you can olny build a 2 tiles channel with forts

4. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

And 3 tiles channel using 2 forts and city between them.

5. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

As Egypt I always build Suez, and if I'm Carthage or Greece I'll build it for them so my circumnavigating ships can return to my lands ASAP.

6. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

I tried this in Panama with no success recently. Does it have to be a 2-tile fort, or can it be just one?

7. Jet

Jet No, no, please. Please.

Hmm, maybe the jungle is still blocking the units?

8. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

that's a possibility, i'll check it out in WB - already cleared the jungle. thanks for the insight.

9. Cucumber

Cucumber Chieftain

An improvement"canal" is a cool idea, using the fort improvement + a new desing (something like a water tile with two walls on sides) and a bonus like +5 golds or a bonus depending on the number of civs with open borders you have

I think it's a very workable idea, don't you think ô Rhye, god of Rhye's world where i past 2 hours a day ?

10. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Interestingly, with Rhye's mod, you can build a "canal" across the Americas or Eurasia if you really wanted. Fort/city/fort/city/fort/city/fort ad nauseum...

11. a1Basco

a1Basco Warlord

I've never been able to make a fort canal.

Is there like a tech requirement?

12. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

I think this is a very good idea. The canals should have a Privateer function, so countries have to pay if they want to trade and travel through a canal.

13. holy king

holy king Deity

do have bts?
    if so just build a fort on the coast and you'll see that your ships can now move on that tile...

14. Zhuge_Liang

Zhuge_Liang The greatest strategist

A very good idea is to change the rules (if you can) to unlimited forts and canals. You're going to build forts from north to south of Asia, connecting them. It's like transporting your siberian troops to the frontlines in india or china.

15. Riker

It's not a good idea to build a canal from siberia to the indian ocean...

16. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

17. tariqari

tariqari Warlord

It dosn't always work for some reason. For example, my Suez (fort) canal didn't work for about 20 turns...

Then sometimes I will build the fort and it will work right away, it's a bit buggy I think.

18. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

Was the fort inside your cultural area?
    You can't use a fort that is not inside your borders (or inside the borders of a vassal of yours).

Never seen this bug.

19. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

There are some canals that are useful to have.

"Panama" and "Suez" are no brainers, and extremely useful in almost all situations.

"Bosforus", "South Italy" and "Kiel" are also very useful in some special conditions.

- Bosforus is necessary in case nobody created a town like Constantinopolis to connect Black sea to the Mediterranean

- South Italy is a canal to avoid going around sicily and in front of Carthage.
    It's useful when there is a strong power (not you) controlling the sea between africa and Italy.

- Kiel (http://www.kiel-canal.org/english.htm) is a canal that connects North sea and Baltic.
    It's very useful when the Vikings close the access to Baltic sea with their territory.

Some canals that may be cool but not extremely useful:

French (or imperial romans) can easily connect the Mediterranean and Atlantic ocean with 2 towns and 2 forts.

In north america is possible to link Atlantic ocean with all the great lakes and the Hudson bay.
    The value of such work could be to have more towns able to produce navy for the Americans.

If you are the Russian and you care about having a navy, you'll find that your ships can't easily leave the baltic because somebody (Germany, Netherland, Viking) cultural territory will block it.
    In this case you can easily create a longer canal (city + fort) connecting Artic Ocean with Baltic sea (city of Lulea).
    If you don't control the north of scandinavia you have the possibility to build a longer canal (St.Petersburg+fort+lake+fort+town+fort) to reach the artic ocean east of nothcap (near archangelsk).

For imperialistic megalomaniacs it's possible to connect Black Sea to the Persian gulf. It requires about 3 towns and 3 forts.
    With a similar number of well places improvements you can connect the Mediterranean sea to the Persian Gulf.
    It may be done by Persians or Tukish but it's pretty much useless because it's easier to build a suez and go from there.

20. SadoMacho

SadoMacho spanker of civilizations

canals should aslo give -1 food. There is less land so you can grow less food. A bonus for gold is a good idea. It is very hard to build large canals. Look at the panama canal. It was very hard to build it.

Adding canals and ships that can sail rivers is something I always missed in CIV