1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suffering at the hands of the RNG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Lemon Merchant, Apr 13, 2013.

  1. Lemon Merchant

    Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2008
    Messages:
    8,051
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Red Sector A
    This is becoming tedious.
    I was attacked by a lot of things, not just archers. There were axemen, horse archers, war elephants...

    I said it was a long war, and I lost a huge amount of units both attacking and defending. I didn't lose 77 units to a pair of archers in an open field as you seem so fixated on suggesting that I said. I made the point about the archers because I lost a few swordsmen in an open field to a small bunch of archers, and I was pissed off. That's it. It wasn't the focal point of my post. The point was that I was mauled by the RNG. I had the worst run of luck that I've ever had in any game. I lost units in battles that I never should have lost, over and over again. I built and whipped units for ages and sent in wave after wave of them, only to get beaten again and again.

    But apparently, this can't happen... ever. As you've pointed out, you've played far too much Civ to entertain this as a possibility, and as the resident authority on effective unit stacking and randomness, you have decreed that this cannot be so.

    You're entitled to your opinion, but if you want to be obtuse, then fine, be obtuse. But at least pull your head out of your backside long enough to read what I originally posted carefully before calling me a liar.
     
  2. Mec AntiKythera

    Mec AntiKythera King

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2010
    Messages:
    980
    Fippy, please forgive me for suggesting that any break-giving that needs to take place should be reversed. I do believe that if something is missing here it is surely you missing the point of the thread. Simply put, luck can and will turn against you at some point. This thread was intended to be a place to exchange stories of that happening. If you do not have a story to share and do not appreciated the tales of others, please do not argue with the people who do, it distracts from the purpose of the thread.

    I for one can relate to Lemon's experience, although I have as yet not suffered so badly, and I enjoyed reading about it. So Lemon, thanks for the miseries.
     
  3. Fippy

    Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2013
    Messages:
    11,631
    Gender:
    Female
    It's okay, if you cannot accept that there's more here than bad luck (now it's Isa with Jumbos, and you have HAs and Swords..), then good luck with your future games.
    You probably got beaten by superior odds if you lost so many and she lost almost nothing (and everything you write suggests that, her tech lead and your units without siege), so yep you left out the point that your attack was just weak. Instead you made a fictive story about terrible rng luck (which happens, no question..)..but as you describe it, you got a 1:10000000000000 draw here and if such fictive stories make you guys happy..great.
     
  4. Timsup2nothin

    Timsup2nothin Deity

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Messages:
    46,747
    There's a life rule...never heckle a comic with a microphone and a friendly crowd...it's a no win situation.

    In this case Lemon has a very well amped microphone and a very friendly crowd, so you might consider yourself lucky that she has thus far been nice.
     
  5. AdamCrock

    AdamCrock Polish Pudding

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    Messages:
    5,018
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Nibylandia
    Another life rule... (the ancient rule) is You go for heads not tails, if it's tails sorry, better luck next time :D I think there is 51% probability for heads and 49% for tails and this statement is false xD If You can prove that Im right by logic You got my neverlasting respect hehe :D
     
  6. BornInCantaloup

    BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    Messages:
    4,166
    Location:
    Cantaloupe Island
    This is a wager I can't decline!
    I'll have to call upon my extraordinary servants for some extraordinary assistance.
    "Berthooold!"
     
  7. rah

    rah Deity Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    10,119
    Location:
    Chicago
  8. BornInCantaloup

    BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    Messages:
    4,166
    Location:
    Cantaloupe Island
  9. rah

    rah Deity Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    10,119
    Location:
    Chicago
    Since I'm not anywhere near as good as many of the top flight players here, mockery is acceptable.
     
  10. BornInCantaloup

    BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    Messages:
    4,166
    Location:
    Cantaloupe Island
    But play level isn't relevant, or is it?
    I present you my apologies, I didn't intend my previous post to appear as a mockery :)
     
  11. rah

    rah Deity Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Messages:
    10,119
    Location:
    Chicago
    No apology necessary.
    My comment is more a general comment about many of my playing strategies prior to coming here and being properly schooled. Example. I actually used to build the SE thinking it was speeding things up. Oh the horror. Now I know better. :)
     
  12. Timsup2nothin

    Timsup2nothin Deity

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Messages:
    46,747
    Me too. Now I build it if I have time because I think it is a very cool thing.

    I believe there's more to playing Civ than climbing the level tree.
     
  13. Tlalynet

    Tlalynet Emperor

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1,048
    I've explained things too you a few times, but perhaps I've not been clear enough.

    You're terrible at math.

    That's really all there is too your objection.






    I also sometimes build it for those same reasons :)




    On a semi related note I spun 14 red in a row on Roulette on Thursday. Factoring the green thats roughly a 1:20000 occurrence.

    Sounds amazing till you realize I spin the damn thing over 50000 times a year.
     
  14. Lemon Merchant

    Lemon Merchant Disinterested Observer Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2008
    Messages:
    8,051
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Red Sector A
    I think he means I might be stupid, too. And a lousy Civ player. And a liar. After all, my game changed and progressed as I played. We all know that can't happen. One starts with a static set of conditions at the beginning of the game that never change. Also, when at war, everything stops. There is no technological progress during the war, and you can only battle with the exact number and type of units you started with.

    And don't forget about the RNG. It's completely random and fair at all times. :rolleyes:

    I feel sorry for him. His games must be dreadfully boring if they're that static, but then again, my pity might be fictive.


    50000 times of watching that little ball go round... I'd be seasick. :lol:

    Well said.

    And thank you. :)
     
  15. Timsup2nothin

    Timsup2nothin Deity

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Messages:
    46,747
    I was walking through the casino at the Tropicana one time. On the roulette tables they have those displays that show the last 20 spins. On this one table ten of the numbers on the display were the SAME number...16. Taken by itself it was stunningly long odds. Taken in the context of hundreds of roulette wheels spinning 24/7 all across Vegas it would be stunning if it never happened somewhere eventually.

    By the way, people were flooding that table and betting on 16. I watched for about half an hour and it didn't come up again.
     
  16. Tlalynet

    Tlalynet Emperor

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1,048
    Oh I've got to be watching the players. I don't just stand there watching the ball spin unless I have nothing to do :D

    10\20 on one number is incredibly rare, yes. IIRC the world record for the longest streak in one number is only 12. That is quite something to see.
     
  17. Timsup2nothin

    Timsup2nothin Deity

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Messages:
    46,747
    The longest streak in the 10 of twenty was only four, and I was pretty impressed with that. A streak of twelve on the same number would be something to see...and I suspect something that would lead to pretty close scrutiny of the wheel and the dealer.
     
  18. Mec AntiKythera

    Mec AntiKythera King

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2010
    Messages:
    980
    Bob Barker.
     
  19. Tlalynet

    Tlalynet Emperor

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1,048
    Yeah, it may not have been 12, though I remember hearing of one streak that was quite long being the record.

    Four is rare enough, though I do see it from time to time.
     
  20. Timsup2nothin

    Timsup2nothin Deity

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2013
    Messages:
    46,747
    I don't doubt that twelve could happen, somewhere. In fact given the number of wheels spinning in the world it almost has to, eventually. But it would be such a strange turn that I'd be willing to bet ;) that there would be some scrutiny. You would probably not want to be the dealer when it happened.
     

Share This Page