Suggest a horror movie for me

Kyriakos

Creator
Anything that is relatively recent, lets say from 2009 and later. I have seen most of the older ones.

I would prefer it to be psychologically based rather than it being a slasher for example, but if you deem the film honestly as good then feel free to propose it.

I don't know if they're horror so much as suspense thrillers, but I saw Black Death and Valhalla Rising a little while ago, and they're both very good, if you happen to like watching people in chainmail go slowly insane.

Recently rented Vanishing on 7th Street - just Okay.

Valhalla Rising? Seriously? One of three movies I couldn't stand to watch to the end because it was too boring. It has a mute main character and the others are also not very talkative If you watch it as art movie it might be okay.. but I won't try it a second time
Black death was a clever made film with less stereotypes you might suspect.
I
watched a lot horror movies but most of them were complete crap. So Black Death is the only film I would recommend.

Thanks for the suggestion Samez :)

OF recent horror films i only watched the horror-comedy Norwegian one, titled Troll-hunter. It was quite amusing, but not serious so not really what i was looking for.

Valhalla Rising? Seriously? One of three movies I couldn't stand to watch to the end because it was too boring. It has a mute main character and the others are also not very talkative If you watch it as art movie it might be okay.. but I won't try it a second time
I get that it's a matter of a taste, but are you really in a position to judge a suspense thriller, of all things, when you don't even watch to the end? :confused:

That said, I can see why Valhalla Rising would be a love it or hate it sort of film. A lot of it comes down to how interesting you find the thematic content and its delivering, which, in this case, probably isn't something that you could establish without watching it.

I saw the trailer and read some reviews. It is really not what i am looking for- body alteration related films rarely interest me, and this particular one seems a bit on the gross side too :)

Yeah, that was a joke. I have friends who have seen it, and they've all advised pretty strongly against the experience. This might prove to be a better source of contemporary horror cinema.

I think i have seen a number of episodes from the Masters of Horror series. They tend to be more on the humorous side too (some like the Dear-Woman more than others).
I was mostly looking for a dark psychological atmosphere ;)

Edit: The episode titled "cigarette burns" had a good idea. The bizarre and potentially dangerous movie "Le Fin absolute le Monde" was quite interesting as a concept.

Have you seen the "Hellbound" series? I know they are old....

Take a look at this thread, and see if the series is to your liking.

Of more mainstream stuff, Paranormal Activity focuses a bit more on building up tension without shocks, though it has its moments for the latter. It was a good watch.

Both my suggestions focus a little more on having the viewer use their imagination to fill in the gaps, which to me is the scariest thing.

I haven't seen a genuinely scary, good horror movie in ages. Drag Me To Hell was good in a campy B movie sense though.

Top Bottom