Suggest new form of government - Canadian Democracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, you can sign the NAFTA treaty that makes half of your commercial income go to the Americans, who also happen to control your military units. And AI leaders always use the phrase "I've noticed your cute country."

Actually, that corruption model is not so strange. I live in DC, and have lived in CA in the past. Believe me, the level of corruption in this town makes Willie Brown (sleazy mayor of SF) look like an honor scout. Democracies in Modern Era should have a reverse corruption model. There is no way Washington DC, filled with people busily spending everyone else's money, can be the most culturally, industrially or scientifically productive city.

I've never understood why the equation between distance from the capital and increased corruption should apply anyway...

You can't tell me that Honolulu is inherently more corrupt than Chicago simply because it's a lot further from Washington.

If it was, Richard Daley would have been mayor there... :D

You are thinking in the terms of today, where there are mass media forms of comunications that let you know at the moment what happens in almost any part of your country or the world, anyone can be send to any place in minutes or hours, etc. In ancient times, someone can barely know what happens in the city or village, travel to other places (and carry the news, because there was no radio or TV) would takes months or years.

Originally posted by 'Copter Pilot
Also, you can sign the NAFTA treaty that makes half of your commercial income go to the Americans, who also happen to control your military units. And AI leaders always use the phrase "I've noticed your cute country."

You're wrong about NAFTA: Canada has been the net beneficiary by far. A more apt varation on this theme might be that, upon concluding any trade deal with any other country, that country is immediately entitled to select the economy of one of your cities and shut it down for the duration.

(simulating potato & softwood lumber disputes, of course...)

Originally posted by Tweedledum
You can't tell me that Honolulu is inherently more corrupt than Chicago simply because it's a lot further from Washington.
nope, but Honolulu IS closest to the Forbidden Capital "Hollywood" :D

:lol: :lol:

Canada is not a democracy...
unless you think voting for a Liberal Dictatorship counts

We just chose a dictator who thinks he is god (sorry god, I did not mean to offend) at infrequent intervals. Once elected he makes the rules, chooses the judges and the senate and the cabinet and the bagmen and claims he does not make mistakes himself.:egypt:

:lol:

This thread is a good 'un......

Harper in '04!

;)

Originally posted by Richard III

You're wrong about NAFTA: Canada has been the net beneficiary by far.

:lol: :lol: Yes the Canadian peso has been in free fall since NAFTA was signed. Must be working as planned! It has also reduced core corruption. ;) :lol:

Well, if you measure everything by the dollar, then you are missing the point. When I lived in Victoria, we prayed for a low dollar everyday so the Yanquis would consider us a cheap vacation spot. That was back when it was $0.85. I understand Victoria has had a record tourism year so far.

So, feel free to make LOL marks in place of facts, but my point is the net benefit has been huge. The US is the one with the trade deficit with Canada, not the other way around. In Ontario - which will soon be subsidizing your province's public services thanks to your "have not status" - virtually all of the economic growth of the past decade has been from exports directly to the U.S.. Which means the 700,000 net new jobs created have all come from the same thing. B.C. hasn't experienced the same benefits because genuises like Glen Clark levied huge capital taxes on anyone who dared to invest there, and the whole point of NAFTA was to encourage investment in activities where export from Canada would be competitive.

If you need me to explain why that's a good thing, oh well.

Originally posted by Richard III
Well, if you measure everything by the dollar, then you are missing the point. When I lived in Victoria, we prayed for a low dollar everyday so the Yanquis would consider us a cheap vacation spot. That was back when it was $0.85. I understand Victoria has had a record tourism year so far.

So, feel free to make LOL marks in place of facts, but my point is the net benefit has been huge. The US is the one with the trade deficit with Canada, not the other way around. In Ontario - which will soon be subsidizing your province's public services thanks to your "have not status" - virtually all of the economic growth of the past decade has been from exports directly to the U.S.. Which means the 700,000 net new jobs created have all come from the same thing. B.C. hasn't experienced the same benefits because genuises like Glen Clark levied huge capital taxes on anyone who dared to invest there, and the whole point of NAFTA was to encourage investment in activities where export from Canada would be competitive.

If you need me to explain why that's a good thing, oh well.

OT:

You don't have to explain economics to me. If you think NAFTA has increased manufacturing and or trade surpluses (inflation adjusted) and or employment in this country that's fine. Also, if you think a weak dollar is a sign of economic strength then I'll pass on that debate also. Personally, I think a strong currency is a very good sign of real economic strength, I'd take a stronger dollar anytime. Things like hoping for a lower dollar to increase tourism is poor economics that is passed off onto the masses to justify a poor position. If the dollar is really the problem then lower prices, if you can, cause that's what a lower dollar does anyway. :crazyeye:

May be a bit simplified but this is plenty deep enough for this thread, thanks.

CB

i like canada, they provide the us with the following

jokes of mounties :soldier:
wave after endless wave of tootless hockey players [punch]
buffer zone if russia nukes us :nuke:
senic route to alaska :viking:
all their trees suck up our pollution :sheep:
and a place for criminals to hide :shottie:

in conclusion canada ius great :goodjob: :love:

Originally posted by Cartouche Bee

OT:

You don't have to explain economics to me. If you think NAFTA has increased manufacturing and or trade surpluses (inflation adjusted) and or employment in this country that's fine.
Some Canadian manufacturing companies have benefitted immensely from NAFTA. Some have not.

Also, if you think a weak dollar is a sign of economic strength then I'll pass on that debate also. Personally, I think a strong currency is a very good sign of real economic strength, I'd take a stronger dollar anytime. Things like hoping for a lower dollar to increase tourism is poor economics that is passed off onto the masses to justify a poor position. If the dollar is really the problem then lower prices, if you can, cause that's what a lower dollar does anyway. :crazyeye:
I believe the statement that was made was simply that a lower dollar tends to fuel the tourism industry. A strong currency is a result of numerous factors and is not necessarily related to a strongly growing economy. Lowering sell prices is not the same thing as having a weaker currency relative to one's trading partner.

Hi...

Ok everyone seems to miss a bit the point of the thread, but for the pleasure of things...

Ontario is the only province who realy benefit from the economic exchange with the US (I'll spear the details). May you tell your self that Ontario is the most populated province of Canada so this is ok! But if you addition all the other provinces, you get a lot more people who suffers from it.

By the way, historicly speaking, the reason why the Canada exist is to "not be part of the US"... and now we are selling every bit of ressorce we have to the lowest price possible to make sure they'll easely assimilate us. That's to sad. Think about the taxes they impose on wood... thats certenly not to the best intereste of their citizens... now they'll pay twice the price to build houses :borg:

But now on the subject... I think it would be nice to see Jean Chrétien in civ3... "Que voulez-vous, j'ai refusé à Bush de pécher parce que j'avais peur qui prenne pas le chèque!"

Sorry for the French but Jean Chrétien is just trully an *******

The debate is becoming a litte too serious, here, people. :)

What about Roch Voisine ? And Québec Libre ? Spéciale dédicace à tous ceux qui parlent français, et François Peyrusse ? L'Album du Peuple ? Sacristie, c'est le truc qui m'a fait comprendre le québecois :)

Ok, back to reality.

Yes, I think NAFTA provided the legislative tools to counterweight the multiplicative effects of a hugely beneficial foreign balance by an eviction effect, very keynesian. However, and monetarists will agree with me here, ha ha ha, the equality curve clearly show the marginal effect of satisfaction brought by macroeconomical implements such as the raising of the government bonds rate by 0.012 point.
LoL, if I may say so.

Vive le Français! Vive le Québec! et vive François Pérusse, mais surtout, surtout, oublis Roch Voisine... c'est tellement quétaine...

Yeah, Roch Voisine was more a joke than anything ;)

Alone in the sand, my eyes in the water
My dream was too good
The summer ending, you will leave
100,000 miles away from me
How can I forget your smile
and so many memoriIIIIIIIIIIiies

Okay, enough for today. First time the lyrics are corny when you translate them from french TO english ;)

What's with the paris-talk?? I do not understand french :( How do you say "You are pretty like a bus" in french? It's a great pick up line :)
You just have to hope the girl you're trying it on knows less french that you :)

Also, speaking of low economy, come to Australia :) for one US dollar you could buy our whole country :) It's shore worth it :)

Also, poor canada :( those americans always makin fun of you :( people can be so unkind :(

Originally posted by Tweedledum
I've never understood why the equation between distance from the capital and increased corruption should apply anyway...

Don't let the semantics mislead you. Corruption refers only to the (in)ability of the capital to extract money and resources for its own purposes. So, Honolulu is not more "corrupt," in the usual sense of the word, rather it is more resistant to giving money to Washington. Indeed, a common current in the U.S. is that Washington is too far away to understand what is happening in faraway provinces such as California, the home of the modern tax rebellion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom