1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggested Cosmetic Change for Resources

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by TyrannusRex, May 25, 2018.

1. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

So this isn't really a huge deal, just an idea for a nice little touch that could be added.

I think that if foxes (Furs), Deer, or elephants (Ivory) spawn on Tundra or Snow tiles, the little animals running around in them should get some cosmetic changes: the (typically red) foxes become Arctic foxes, the deer become caribou, and, perhaps most sensibly, the elephants become woolly mammoths.
    The change to Ivory may seem odd at first, but there were actually dwarf mammoth populations alive (on Wrangel Island) while the Pyramids were being built. I think it'd be a nice little addition... who knows, perhaps you'd get some bonus to any National Parks that include them!

2. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Maybe change Ivory on Tundra to mammoth bones or mammoth mummies: yes, the last of the mammoths were still alive at the end of the Neolithic, but not in a way that was commercially relevant to humans, but mammoth ivory was being traded to Western Europe via Russia from Siberian hunter-gatherers in the 18th century. Otherwise I agree that I'd like to see more cosmetic variety. I'm a little surprised that Firaxis chose foxes for Furs rather than the much more highly coveted beaver (or marmot/stoat). Also they could have made Furs spawn in Coast tiles (sea otters). Even though they weren't really that commercially significant to whalers, I wouldn't mind seeing Whales in the far north depicted as narwhals. :D

I'm still trying to figure out what spice I'm supposed to be seeing in Tundra. Every spice I can think of grows in tropical, semitropical, or Mediterranean climates. Lavender maybe? Onions/chives (not really a major trade commodity, but...)?

TyrannusRex and Uberfrog like this.
  3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

These are nice ideas, but I think I'd sooner see some variety in forests – some deciduous trees please!

I liked that Civ V had different colour palettes for different continents, and it seems like a missed opportunity to have just one type of forest for the whole world, especially since the little graphical touches (waves on beaches, winds on desert and snow, aurorae at the poles) are otherwise much better in Civ VI.

Also cultural variation for district buildings – Monuments were a good start in R&F, but it's a bit odd seeing classical architecture in every Campus, Holy Site and Theatre Square.

Zaarin likes this.
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

And especially since Civ6 has tried to make each continent distinct in terms of luxuries and what not. On the other hand, they'd have to do something about those arbitrary continent borders.

So much this. Districts look out of place for any civ but Greece or Rome (and arguably America, since we have a lot of Neoclassical architecture), unless you are so fortunate as to have a unique district.

5. 679x

679x Warlord

I always figured the ivory in tundra was from walruses, not from mammoths, and that the lack of resource cosmetic variation just meant that any source of walrus ivory would appear as elephants (a vastly different mammal). If it is indeed meant to be walrus ivory and not from mammoths, then a cosmetic change would be even more welcome!

6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Walrus ivory should appear on Coast, though, and due to their remote location was never as widely commercialized as elephant or mammoth ivory. (I have a dream of owning mammoth ivory dice, but I just can't justify splurging on what even a single d20 costs. :eek:)

7. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Even "ethical ivory" from mammoths is illegal to buy in several countries, though it does provide a means of living for many small, Siberian communities.

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I understand Siberians would eat the meat as famine food. :cringe: I prefer my meat...not mummified. :p I don't think the US and Canada are among the countries where mammoth ivory is illegal, though, because A) I bought a mammoth ivory pendant in Victoria, BC that was made in Alaska (it was carved by a Tlingit artist, which might bypass some rules, but it wasn't being sold at a First Nations gallery or anything) and B) those aforementioned mammoth ivory dice that I wish I could justify splurging on.

TyrannusRex likes this.
  9. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

For a time in the nineteenth century, an appreciable percentage of the ivory on the market was from unearthed Mammoths rather than contemporary elephants. While art was the destiny for some of it, the 'mass market' use for ivory was - billiard balls, and one of the first plastics developed was used to produce 'artificial' but acceptable billiard accessories.

As for mummified food, on my first enlistment in the US Army back in the late 1960s they issued us C-Rations containing a cigarette ration of Luck Strike Green Pack cigarettes - packed, therefore, no later than 1944. - And, therefore, older than 75% of the men in the unit. 'Mummified' is a very apt description!

Zaarin likes this.
  10. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Or you could just make Ivory in the Tundra appear as Walrus.

11. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

And back we circle to the OP: extend the terrain possibilities for Resources by getting the same or similar Resources from different Sources:
    Ivory is from Elephants on the plains, Walrus on coastal Tundra
    Wheat becomes Grain, which is Wheat in plains, Barley on hills, Rye on plains near Tundra
    Sugar comes from the Sugar graphic, or the Sugar Maple in forests on hills

Thus extending the Resource possibilities without actually coming up with entirely new Resources...

Knasp, TyrannusRex and Zaarin like this.