1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion about Flying

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Jungle Cat, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Chieftain

Now every type of creature can attack flying creatures.

Would't it be more logical that only other flying creatures and archers could attack flying creatures? (and maybe recon-type with their spears)

And when a flying creature pillages (lands on the ground) then all types would be able to crush the flying one.

What do you think of this suggestion?

PS: this would make early griffon too powerfull, maybe?

2. Kael

Kael Deity

Its cool flavor but its probably to powerful. I thought about giving non-archers a penalty against fliers, but in the end I decided that flying was cool enough already.

3. solistus

solistus Warlord

I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be interesting if 'land-locked' creatures without projectiles couldn't give the attack order to a flying creature. I'm not sure there are enough flying creatures for it to be worth the effort, though, and I'm not sure it would improve gameplay beyond adding flavor... Sounds like an idea to test out in a modmod, kind of like that mod someone's been working on to give extra flavor-based effects to gargantuan-sized creatures (no penalty for crossing rivers, better vision, etc.).

4. Emptiness

Emptiness []

The main problem I see with it is complexity of implementation.

Maybe flying units could have two states: Aloft and Touchdown (working names). A flying unit would change states like casting a spell.

While Aloft, the unit could only be attacked by other Aloft flying units, and archery units. In turn, the Aloft flying unit could only attack other Aloft flying units. The Aloft flying unit would receive a flat movement rate (1 mp/square regardless of terrain type, and can pass over water and impassible terrain) and cannot pillage. Perhaps Aloft units should not be able to heal (to require them to find a place to Touchdown in order to recover from their wounds).

While in Touchdown, the unit cannot attack or be attacked by Aloft flying units. It would pay terrain movement costs and can pillage improvements (it that is allowed by its unit type, of course). Flying units would not be able to enter the Touchdown state over water, and while in Touchdown the unit would not be able to enter impassable terrain.

I'm not sure this would be worth the effort required to implement it, but it's certainly an interesting idea. Some thought would have to go into how flying units and ships would be allowed to interact.

5. orgonebox

orgonebox Squidtastic

Griffons would be much cooler if you could settle them in a city and create a griffon's aerie, allowing buildable griffon riders. I don't think there should be a change in attack strength, and they could be a relatively expensive unit, given that griffon breeding can't be a safe or prolific profession. Then when a much higher tech is learned, like animal mastery, you can build war griffons or something to that effect.

6. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

I'd build griffins if there was a cool animation showing a tiny griffon flying around the city. Otherwise, I'd raise flying monkeymen. Now they'd be awesome!

7. Fenboy

Fenboy King

OT: Is there a reason Acheron doesn't have flying? IIRC all the other dragons do.

8. Guale

Guale Warlord

None of them do, actually.

9. JonathanStrange

Acheron would be awesome if he sometimes got tired of the old "guard the city and my hoard" subroutine and just went crazy and flapped over twenty tiles to the west and fought anything there, returned home and flew twenty tiles to the northeast and did his thing there, etc.

10. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

If you had a unit-turn tracking system like in FF for age, you could make a spell which casts "aloft" promo for a set amount of turns (giving archers bonuses against u, and all other non-flying types weaknesses against you) and then have it auto-replaced by a "grounded" promo that is maintained for another set amount of turns. Then make the aloft and grounded promos disallow the spell to be casted. I think it would give a decently balanced extra option to flying units, but of course its not necessary :)

11. Rutee

Rutee Warlord

He actually used to abandon his hoard. If you root around for the Shadow release's changelog, you should find a patch note that reads "Tied Acheron down with Duct Tape" or some such, because they specifically wanted him to guard his hoard.

But yes, it'd be kinda cool if they could set him up to occasonally go and pillage nearby civs for a bit, then wing it back home. Probably a bit too complex though.

12. JonathanStrange

Ahhh, so the villagers were right! They'd told me in "the old days" Acheron would wander a bit and one of the village elders swore that he'd seen Acheron in flight.

I had the insolent peasant punished for swearing but now I think I overreacted.

13. solistus

solistus Warlord

If Acheron goes attacking people, there should probably be some benefit to being closer to him - maybe a new resource of some sort that is placed with Python after Acheron spawns and only nearby? Otherwise, one region of the world would be suppressed by dragon raids and would just lag behind the rest of the world. Given that nobody can really have a reasonable shot at killing Acheron until pretty late game, this would basically be a death sentence for affected civs without some bonus to boot. Perhaps Acheron would come in, attack for a fixed maximum number of turns or until razing one city, and if he is driven off the civ in question would receive some fairly significant bonus reward? That might make more sense thematically than the resources idea.

Also, Acheron should at the very least attack combat units within one square of the city. It's rather odd that you can run through destroying his lands and he will just sit there and watch. Right now, the biggest threat Acheron poses is the obscene culture his city generates.

14. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Aye, I think it would be HELLA awesome if he was free to roam within his city culture, only with a heavy City_defense or a dual defense and counter AI

15. Dora190

Dora190 Warlord

on topic - The Griffon can land in mountains, which gives it great visibility and makes them immune to anything else. I think its fair that elsewhere they can be attacked. they are after all not flying all the time.

Dragon's flying - EUUUW! spawn to close and it would be worse then being close to Barbatos or Pristinus pass. Perhaps allow a slightly stronger flyer to spawn in his city at random intervals (Wyvern) which fly out to attack other units.

BTW can't we have a Griffon eyrie, like a Bears den?

16. Rutee

Rutee Warlord

...Barbatos is still in game? Ye merciful Gods in heaven D:

...Serious question. I haven't seen him, but I would really prefer to know this now, not later.

17. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Orbis does. Personally, I think allowing too many Griffons can be a bad thing.... Bastards make early expansion rather difficult. :lol:

Not really. One result for the Broken Sepulcher IS a lich named Barbatos though. No worse than any other lich spawn, really.

18. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Awww, I think Barbatos should be more special. Like a special friend. Maybe stronger than the other liches, like how he used to be, and a VERY HIGH percentage chance of spawning him, and he just sits on the improvement instead of roam like the others.

19. Dora190

Dora190 Warlord

He didn't have to move he just launched earth elemental and wraith tac nukes. It was a nightmare!

20. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Eh. I forget if he had summoning too or not. Anyways, id kinda like to occasionally see Barbatos up to his ole tricks. Even if it needs a lair spawn or two teh do et.