Suggestion: City states random gravitation

k, I haven't done any mods myself so I thought I would just make this suggestion and someone can tell me how hard it is to do.

I don't particularly like static things in games and rather they were dynamic or random or changing.

City states always have a static setting of gravitating towards neutral. My suggestion is the option to randomize this so that each state has different gravitation points, mainly tending below neutral somewhere, in some cases outright enemies though the occasional ally.

Each state may have a different gravitation point for each civilization (so may gravitate towards ally for one civ, neutral for another, and enemy for another) and is may be affected by what components make up that civilization - policies, religion, leader etc. The gravitation point may even change during the game for each state reacting to the changing circumstances of each civilization.

Is this do-able?

yes, I suppose. Not easy modding, but doable with some Lua.

and Moderator Action: Thread moved, only files in the subforums please :)

Just wanna throw in a thought: Could this be tied up with the status? I always disliked how some CS's are randomly "hostile" while others are randomly "friendly". Rather, this attitude should shift dependant on your actions: The longer you have friendly standing with a CS, the further it should shift towards friendly, the longer they are friends or allies with someone else, the longer you shift towars neutral or even below, if their ally is unfriendly with you. This could also be connected to the resting point as you mention - a friendly CS has it's resting point in friends, a hostile CS has its resting point below 0.

However, how to do this, I have absolutely no clue. :crazyeye:

Check post no. 7 for possible code that could be integrated into such a mod. You could randomize it using all the the CSs and civilizations. The randomization code for +/- and for the civs and CSs, depending on how you wanted to do it, might take a little time, but it certainly is doable.

HTML:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470617

Maybe each city state could have hidden parameters that it favours and that would influence gravitation. For instance, a city state with hidden parameter "MILITARY_STRENGTH" would slowly gravitate towards the player with the largest military, or a city state with hidden parameter "PIETY" would gravitate towards whoever has the most policies from PIETY. You could make these parameters expire as well.

Randomy hostile and randomly friendly? I thought they always started at neutral and always gravitated there. Have I got that wrong?
It depends whether you speak of influence level or attitude (how quickly influence level will change). They all start completely neutral (0 influence), but each CS will have a fixed attitude which will be either "friendly" (influence decays slower, more influence:gold), "hostile" (influence decays faster, less influence:gold), "irrational" (default speed) and I don't remember if there's a fourth one. Either way, I always found it really 'meh' that this influence is not affected by your history with the CS but is just something randomly assigned at game start and then stays for entire game.

Top Bottom