1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion: "custom" civ

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by CptBadger, Feb 29, 2020.

1. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

First let me say, if this is a LOT of work, let's not worry about it.

But I was thinking, there were quite a few other civilizations that attempted colonizing america (or other regions) in this time frame. And I am not suggesting making all of them into full functioning. But how difficult would it be to make a (human-only) customizable civ?
    You would have to enter your motherland name, civ name, adjective, short, etc just like changing it from an existing civ. But you could also select from the civ and leader bonus options to make the combo thatd most fit your entered civ (or your playstyle, for the less immersive)
    It wouldnt exist as an AI option, use generic unit graphics, etc.

Any thoughts?
    I just think it would be fun to play as the Scottish colony at New Caledonia without the same result, or let a Belgian ship end up off Brazil instead of the Congo, or let one of the Italian states build a successful trade...

There are /tons/ of great ideas and changes yall have charted, I wouldnt want this to interfere. But I think itd be pretty awesome.

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

Wasn’t there a short-lived scottish colony in Panama, too?

The short-lived Welser colony that later became Venezuela...

Personally I like the idea to be able for a player to include the one nation that historically colonized - even if miniscule as the Duchy of "Kurland/Courland".

But as far as I know the number of "players"/AI nations possible on a map is limited, so most likely having your own fun colonizer would mean not having one of the other nations. In the case of Courland it would make sense to then not have Russia (as Courland was later annexed into Russia and Russia started late to colonize in the Americas) and in the case of Scotland not to have the United Kingdom (which is ahistorical anyway as in the first centuries of the games timeframe it was only England and only from 1701 the United Kingdom).

3. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

The one in Panama was the one referenced above, just by their name. Welser is unknown to me, so yay! Research rabbit hole to dive into. Doesnt surprise me, though.

And yeah, as things are now something would have to be sacrificed. But I'd be happy to have that compromise on some of my playthroughs.

And with all the streamlining their doing, I am hoping they increase the max number of players. Some empires and several governors operating separately serving the same crown. I'd love to have that reflected.

4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Probably possible / technically doable. :dunno:
    Most likely this already exists in some Civ4 BTS mod.

To adjust it to Civ4Col however will be a lot of work.

That is what I would have been telling you.
    You can already rename any Civ and the leaders.

So basically you just want to able to choose your leader traits freely?

Because you are neglecting a lot of other stuff, e.g.
    • Nation Specific graphics,
    • Nation Specific Name of Europe Port,
    • Nation Specific King,
    • Nation Specific General Names,
    • Nation Specific Ship Names,
    • Nation specific City Names,
    • Nation specific Flag
    • Nation specific Missioning Cross

It is not that easy because of all the other Nation specific stuff, see a few lines above.
    You would still need to copy that from another Civ.

I don't know. :think:
    It does not really sound that awesome to me.

Basically it is just about choosing "Custom Traits" if I understand it correctly. :dunno:
    (Because all the rest you would need to choose anyways from an existing Civ.)

By the way:

All you want can already be done by editing XML and creating a new Civ for yourself.
    But you will need to take care of ALL the Nation specific elements.
    (But of course you can just copy a Civ / Leader and only adjust the things you care about.)

However, it will might break scenarios that already have fixed Nations, fixed leaders. :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  5. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

By the way:

We once talked about "Minor Colonial Nations" concept in RaR.
    (That would include New Scotland, New Courland, ...)

Basically it would have been similar to "City States" in other CivGames.
    (Colonial Nations with very limitted possibilities - no real competition - but still allow Trading / Diplomacy and maybe a new game feature.)

But we gave up on it because of the massive amount of effort compared to little benefit to create those Civs (especially the graphics).
    Schmiddie would have had too much effort for too little benefit of the original game concept.

-----

Seriously, our possibilities are currently so limited considering graphics, that we cannot even think about something like this. :c5unhappy:
    (Half of the concepts we already discussed and accepted might not be implemented because of lack of graphical modders if this does not change ...)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Your_ardent_admirer likes this.
  6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Prince Supporter

I thought you meant Nova Scotia for the scottish colony so I mentioned Darien/Panama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welser#The_Venezuela_purchase

CptBadger likes this.
  7. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Picking custom traits would be fun, I agree. However, I basically do that already by randoming between all of the available leaders.

8. AnAmericanCommunist

AnAmericanCommunist Chieftain

So I am a complete Luddite, with no skill in code or computers. I just thoroughly enjoy this amazing mod. However, this intrigues me. How do you set this up?

9. Schmiddie

Schmiddie Emperor

To be honest I don't like the idea and I would not support it. :thumbsdown:

We don't need more Nations, also if they are even small ones. Player who like this have the opportunity to start their own mod-mods. :yup: