Suggestion: Defensive Pacts

Another option would be to have some kind of display indicator for all leaders with whom forming a Defensive Pact is not currently "impossible". This is a QoL kind of thing; similar to the leader display in EUI that shows who has what trade goods available.

You can currently spend every turn trying to form DPs with every leader; you wouldn't be gaining information that is otherwise unavailable.

I have about 1000 hours with VP and I think I may have been asked for a defensive pact once. Maybe.
True enough. And there have been times I've opened the window and it was available... without being approached. So if they do this, it's perhaps not working completely right.

I've been actually able to get some pacts recently, though never being approached. I'm digging the politics changes in the recent patches.

I think the AI generally wants to ally with a strong military who hasn't been aggressive (probably rare for a human player). Recently I got a fast ideology and went freedom-volunteer army, giving me an enormous military score, and I hadn't attacked anyone that game. Got offered 2 pacts in the same turn.

It is natural that we and AI only want to have DP with strong military civ.
Try to build a ton of armies to see if anything changes for you

The balance doesn't seem right. Lately I've had a very solid military, but have yet to enter a DP. Aggressiveness is probably part of it... but it doesn't seem to stop AI DPs.

DPs have fallen into the same problem as bribing other civs to go to war. Sure, you will sometimes still get the option, but it's so rare that unless you check every turn you will never catch it.

The problem is the AI has infinite patience and can "check" every turn. This is why you still see the AI doing both.

To be honest, the threshold for the AI to get the "impossible" status for all trade deals has become way too sensitive. Perhaps this makes for a more competitive AI, but at the cost of "fun factor". I imagine there is a happy medium somewhere.

The balance doesn't seem right. Lately I've had a very solid military, but have yet to enter a DP. Aggressiveness is probably part of it... but it doesn't seem to stop AI DPs.
I've gotten multiple DPs this game as Aztecs warmongering everyone's face. Get a stronger military. No one wants to defend a weakling. (Even if there are times that they should.)

I've gotten multiple DPs this game as Aztecs warmongering everyone's face. Get a stronger military. No one wants to defend a weakling. (Even if there are times that they should.)

Thatwas my point about the Aztecs -- they get DPs despite being warmongers.

But in the games I'm talking about, my military is competitive, but civs with worse ones have DPs, and I don't.

I would say there is a coonsensus that the current balnce of DPs is not fun.

They already do this. I've seen it quite a bit. Possible that you just aren't their type. :)

;___; That's really how it feels some days...

I don't mind how rare they can be (for me I guess), but the problem is that I have to check every civ every turn for a DP opportunity. I guess it wouldn't be an issue if that's just the consequence of how I alone play, but I'm wondering if a lot of people have similar issues.

But in the games I'm talking about, my military is competitive, but civs with worse ones have DPs, and I don't.

No. The AIs can never determine when a human is gonna break off a defensive pact. They just never will. Major conditions of the DP takes into account that the AI have to insure is that they will be:
  • Unable to Declare War for the Duration. (Warmongers love this part despite its contradictory nature, because it prevents someone from attempting to confront the warmongering nation without another ally)
  • Have to Protect An Ally (They consider neighbor proximity and other neighbor's threat in order to find if a DP is viable.
  • on the defense. Without the ability to declare war, some civs who are pursuing other victories would rather ally with the most strongest military civ possible to them.

No. The AIs can never determine when a human is gonna break off a defensive pact. They just never will. Major conditions of the DP takes into account that the AI have to insure is that they will be:
  • Unable to Declare War for the Duration. (Warmongers love this part despite its contradictory nature, because it prevents someone from attempting to confront the warmongering nation without another ally)
  • Have to Protect An Ally (They consider neighbor proximity and other neighbor's threat in order to find if a DP is viable.
  • on the defense. Without the ability to declare war, some civs who are pursuing other victories would rather ally with the most strongest military civ possible to them.

Then you're agreeing that the mechanic favors the AI, to the point where it's very hard for the human to get a DP. So we agree.

There's certainly no consensus. Just claiming that one exists doesn't make it so.

I've gotten DPs as both aggressive and peaceful civs. The balance seems better now. I just beat a game with domination (technically culture, but that's only because the last civ was a tiny one out of the way I could have killed in 5 turns.) so it's not like there's too many to fight through every game.

You've been having a hard time lately trying for a Progress SV, so that's possibly influencing your judgement.

Top Bottom