[Suggestion] Funding-based University effects

Blasphemous

Graulich
As rappster kindly brought up in the Ancient World thread, I had a suggestion on redoing the effects of the University building that went largely without reply.
Blasphemous said:
On a completely unrelated note, I think Universities should be changed a bit. They should give +10%:science: and +1:culture:, and another +10%:science: and +1:culture: for every 10% :culture:. By this I mean to reflect that Universities would normally be among the institutions that benefit when a government invests in culture and that the more budget a University has, the more ingenuity and production can come out of it with time. It also gives another reason to invest in your :culture: slider, even if you aren't trying to make people happy or expand borders.
It's a small suggestion, I know, but do others here agree with me on it?

While in theory this might look like a good idea, to have universities fill the same gap as colosseums, I'm not sure what good it would do, given that science funding comes from the same pot as culture funding. That is, if you increase your culture slider at the expense of your science slider, you're probably going to be producing less science, even with this benefit.

Colosseums, on the other hand, work because the happy faces are produced independently of the sliders.

I understand where you are coming from with this, but overall I don't really like the idea. Seems to me that it would just be adding complexity where it really isn't needed. The current system is simple, elegant, and is working fine.

Gunner said:
I understand where you are coming from with this, but overall I don't really like the idea. Seems to me that it would just be adding complexity where it really isn't needed. The current system is simple, elegant, and is working fine.

Agreed......

I was actually hoping for an objection along the lines of what Arkaeyn said, as I was wondering about this... Perhaps a toned-down implementation would simply be to leave the university as it is (or very slightly weakened) but give it +10%:science: and +1:culture: and/or +1:gp:(scientist) if the :culture: slider is at 30% or more. This way countries that seriously invest in culture (via :culture: slider) and in the academics (by building universities) will get some side benefits in both fields in their bigger cities.
But I do agree that the current way things work is not broken, it just bugged me that my universities stayed the same even when I was pouring big money into culture.

Top Bottom