Suggestion: Info-mail for newbies

Should there be a short 'how to' info for newbies?

• Yes, as an email!

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Yes, as a screen when logging in!

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Yes, both!

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No!

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Recently, the number of repetitive threads in Civ3 General Discussion has increased again. Talking about it, some user mentioned that they believe this is due to newbies being overwhelmed by the sheer number of threads, features and posters.

One explicitly mentioned that he had trouble keeping track of things, and I remember being confused and lost before I discovered how to use the user cp, too.

Thunderfall: I know many will ignore this, but couldn't you email a short info text on how this fourm works, including links to FAQ for vB, FAQ threads and newbie Qs thread to new posters?
or, maybe better: The first three times someone logs in (easy to check via postcount), a screen shows up with this information. Not a pop-up, that would get closed before it has finished loading. Just a screen with a next button at the bottom.....

Isn't there already a welcome email that is sent to new users? Why not add links to certain threads in that email, such as the FAQ, Civ3 Newbie thread, any similar threads for the GOTM, Demo game, succession games, etc.

As i mentioned in another thread:

Or just make a Read Only thread that urges all Newbies to read it before they can start a thread, or simply limit the start of a new thread to fans that have at least x-months of registration (1 month and 50 posts could do the trick)

Just suggestions...

A time limit before being able to make threads would not be a good idea, especially when new people are likely to want to post their questions.

Originally posted by Dell19
A time limit before being able to make threads would not be a good idea, especially when new people are likely to want to post their questions.

You could post anything you like in any thread, but the only aim would be to prevent from starting a new thread, that was the idea basically.

Something like when registration reaches 1 month old or have more than X posts, you are allowed to start a new thread, otherwise you can post anywhere and in the Newbie thread, but just can't start a new one.

Same principle as for the customized Avatar...

This might be okay on CIV3 discussions where there is a newbie thread but they might want to ask a question on site feedback and the only way would be to hijack a different thread, or PM someone.

Or to have a special newbie thread in each forum (i know it's hard, but am just throwing in suggestions)
Starting with the General Discussion one will already greatly help Lt Killer's task... ;)

Tying the ability to post new threads to P/C sounds like a recipe for spam, and I suspect that a lot of potential new posters would be entirely put off by the discovery that they couldn't post a new thread anywhere for a specified time. Add to that the fact that not all new posters are necessarily "newbies" - they may be long time posters over at 'Poly or another Civ forum who have decided to check out CFC, or wish to post a thread over here for a specific purpose (the embassies in the Civ3 demogame being a prime example).

Seems to me that the best solution would be something like the information page that Killer suggests at the end of his post.

The only problem I have with linking post counts to starting new threads is that a lot of people, in desperation, will post to any thread, hoping to get an answer. While the idea has it's merits, I think this and a waiting period would put people off to this site.

There are a couple of good ideas here, like a little text file give some basic directions. And I like the thought of adding them to the welcome email. My thought is to send a second email, after registration is confirmed, with the topic something like "Posting suggestions for new members" or somesuch.

Perhaps you might like to hear my observation since I am:
a) a newbie to CFC
b) a guilty party (started a new thread to ask questions)
c) an experienced internet user

My case may not apply to everyone, but when I got here I went straight for the Macintosh Forum and never even saw any of the threads in the other Forums (like newbie questions, FAQ, etc.), until someone shoved my nose in them, because I thought only the Mac stuff would apply to me. So basically I got "lost" from the get-go. An email directing me to newbie questions threads, FAQ's, etc. would have been very helpful and much appreciated.

JMO!:D

We do send out welcome PM to new members about forum rules and link to the forum FAQ. I guess I can add some info about Civ3 to the welcome PM also. :)

Yes, I didn't notice the PM for 3 days or so (I think someone referred me to it). Frankly, I didn't even realize the power of PM when I signed up.

Better an e-mail.
Everyone almost skip it that screen when we accept rules...

BTW, one of this days, I've had an idea.
When you register, you'd receive a PM with usefull links to:
- forum rules
- how to upload an image (NEW)
- common procedures (NEW)

Of course that that new things had to be made and put online.
Very usefull.
Instead of: "Hey, how do I post several pics?"
"You have to... bla bla bla..."
We could just give the link :D

Just an idea, but I think it would be quite usefull to have that kind of info handy :)

Just like war academy!!!

Originally posted by Thunderfall
We do send out welcome PM to new members about forum rules and link to the forum FAQ. I guess I can add some info about Civ3 to the welcome PM also. :)

Hmm. I never remembered getting a Welcome PM when I first registered

Maybe you could have an "Important thread section at the top of the page." It would direct them to all important Noob threads. It is automatically put in all accounts and can be turned of via User CP.

Originally posted by CivGeneral

Hmm. I never remembered getting a Welcome PM when I first registered
Well, the welcome PM is not a built in feature. I think I installed it during that time when I was busy installing forum hacks such as Quick Reply, Contract/Expand Post, Blink PM Bar, PM Gauge, etc... :)

You most likely registered before those features were implemented.

TF: I remember that it took me about three or four days to realize there was a PM. Why? Because I didn't get notification emails (had them off) and didn't know about the user cp.

Thus: I still think an email would be better.

But yes, please, include links in the PM; I'd be happy to write a short FAQ-like thread on how to use the forum (i.e. what is user cp, PM, what forum is for what and so on) expanding on the normal forum faq.

There's a new poster on Civ3:GD that gives good argument for some kind of email that directs them to placing 'repeat' questions in the newbie thread, or to direct them to the faq.

Not trying to slam this person, which is why I'm not mentioning any names, (we all know who it is, anyway) but this person would have done much better and not clogged the front page with so many questions that have been covered in the newbie thread and in the faq. . . .a lot of the questions (s)he asked was in these threads.

I realize that you have a lot on your hands, TF, and I would be willing to help out, either in helping compose the new user email(s) or in helping write the suggestions for new users. But I do think this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Not that I have a problem with answering these questions, but it's like being a broken record. . . saying the same things over and over again. Which reminds me. . . Killer, I owe you an apology. . . while I appreciate the work you've done with the two threads, and I know they're both time consuming, I thought you were just a bit gung ho over pointing newbies to your threads. I can see now why you're frustrated with it and point them there.

Turner: I do overreact when that topic is concerned, and the example you jsut mentioned is indeed one of the worst I have ever seen ;) No need to apologize!

Info-mail would be a good idea with the sudden clogging of new threads posted just in the last few days.

Top Bottom