Suggestion: "No Island Start"

It would be nice to have an option (probably as a Custom Continents flag) to not have your civ start alone on an island, but leave the other aspects of Continents maps unchanged. I recognize that island starts have their own set of benefits and challenges and sometimes I like to play them out. But many times that's not the kind of game I'm looking for and it's a pain to play out the first 25 turns of scouting to find out that you're alone. That pretty much kills games where I'm trying to practice my early warmongering skills. Playing a Pang map is an option of course, but that also drastically changes the long-term, economic challenges to warmongering. Warmongering seems to be primarily an economic/tech challenge in Civ4 (how to conquer without stagnating?) and playing a Pang diminishes that challenge significantly.

I love starting alone on an island! Gives me a chance to build a little before the petty-ass AI's start jumping on me for no reason!

I am the opposite. I hate starting alon eon a isalnd...especially a small one. HA! This gives me no opportunity for quick expansion though conquest of a close opponet.

Good idea. I also hope they verify this "no-island" trait by tracing a path to perhaps at least one other large landmass or something. One time, I played on a pangaea and a peak blocked off the only entryway to my zone, so essentially I was playing on island-mode! That was an unwelcome surprise.

Good idea, being alone on an island is a huge disadvantage on higher difficulties where you need tech trading to keep up with the AI hive mind.

I love being on another island with another player...I dominated Peter the Great with about 30 Calvery...:p

I'm also not a navy person, so I hate having to rely on ships...

Depends on how big the island is. In civ3 once I got stuck on a tiny island with barely enough room for 3 cities. Hasn't happened on civ4 yet but having the option would be nice (maybe with a minimum island size slider).

You can do this easily with Custom Continents. Using the Advanced Options, choose 6 civs and 3 islands. Voila! You will have a neighbor on your island. Want to be alone? Select 6 islands for your 6 civs. Seriously, this really isn't that hard. :)

25 turns only takes a few minutes just restart if you don't like your island :p

Christ I just want a damn random option on map choice.
NEED :cry:

Guys, there is a mod floating around in someone's sig that will let you pick "random" as a map option...

Top Bottom