Suggestion: Pirates

AtlantaMarty

No longer active
I think pirates should be added to the game.

They should spawn in 1520, and suffer a stability penalty after 1775, and be in a golden age and have a 10% combat strength bonus from 1650-1730 (the golden age of piracy)

There should be multiple pirate captains that all start at war with each other. All pirates start with 3 ships carrying a special unit called the Buccaneer (11 strength, 1 movement, bonus from amphibious attack, bonus attacking coastal cities, bonus when near a ship). Pirates cannot build cities and can only capture them. Captured cities can be ransomed back to the owner. The price of ransom should be: 100 gold per population point, 5 gold for each tile controlled by the city, 5 gold per building, 75 gold per wonder, 10 gold per resource, 5 gold per tile improvement, +100% if city is in core area, +50% if city is in historical area, +0% if city is in contested area, -25% if city is in foreign area, -50% if city is in foreign core area. Cities may only be ransomed back to the civilization that owned the city when it was captured; the civilization that founded the city; any civilization for which the city is in core, historical , or contested for; any civilization that borders the city; and any civilizations that held the city for 5 turns on standard speed. (10 on epic, 15 on marathon).

Pirates should be able to attack ships at and plunder them (1/2 Gold purchase cost of ship +10 gold for every unit on ship)

Players should be able to pay pirates to stop attacking them and hire them as privateers through the diplomacy screen.

All pirates will have the same UHVs:

*Gain 1701 gold through conquest and pillaging by 1650
*Conquer at least 5 cities by 1730 (ransomed cities count)
*Control at least 3 cities by 1770

Suggestions for pirate captains:
Blackbeard - Unique ability: Beard of Fire - enemy units are weakened by 10%
Captain Kidd - Unique ability: Buried Treasure - Receive an interest rate of 10% on gold in your treasury
Henry Morgan - Unique ability: Sword of England - 10% attack bonus against a civ at war with England - starts in an unbreakable alliance with England - +5% gold pillaged from non-English cities and ships, can dock in English cities
Black Bart - Unique ability: Genteel Pirate - +50% Gold from pillaging if a privateer
Calico Jack - Unique ability: Women on board - all Pirates have +1 combat strength, starts in an unbreakable alliance with Anne Bonny and a breakable alliance with Mary Read, can dock in cities owned by Mary Read or Anne Bonny.
Howell Davis - Unique ability: Trickery - +50% Gold from ransom
Mary Read - Unique ability: Pregnancy I - +25 hit points and starts in a breakable alliance with Calico Jack, +10% combat strength, can dock in cities owned by Anne Bonny or Calico Jack
Anne Bonny - Unique ability: Pregnancy II - +30 hit points and starts in a unbreakable alliance with Calico Jack, can dock in cities owned by Mary Read or Calico Jack
Henry Avery - Unique ability: Last Man Standing - Invisible to enemies
Jean Lafitte - Unique ability: American Allies - 10% attack bonus against a civ at war with America - starts in an unbreakable alliance with America - +5% gold pillaged from non-America cities and ships, can dock in American cities, No stability penalty until 1825
Stede Bonnet - Unique ability: Gentleman Pirate - Can buy cities from European civs, these cities count for UHVs

(The reason all pirates spawn in 1520 instead of their birthdates is so they can have more than 3 turns of gameplay)

With all due respect, this would be a great idea for its very own dedicated RFC modmod, but out of place for the scope of DoC.
It isn't a bad idea for its own game though and you should definitely develop it further if you have the will.

With all due respect, this would be a great idea for its very own dedicated RFC modmod, but out of place for the scope of DoC.
It isn't a bad idea for its own game though and you should definitely develop it further if you have the will.

Thank you for liking my idea.

I don't understand how it is out of the scope of DoC, though.

(I can't develop it into it's own modmodmod cause I have no computer programming skills :()

I think the idea is good, but maybe toning it down to hiring pirates sort of like mercenaries (this won't work when Leoreth takes out Mercenaries:cry:), and there could be a few unique promotions that represent those abilities. There should also be a few rogue pirates that attack everyone as true barbies. Also, capturing cities is somewhat historical, but I don't think it will work on the scale of DoC.

In essence, there would be:

~3-5 pirates alive at a time that are just barbs (no nationality at all). They might get unique promotions like the ones you listed above.
~5-10 pirates that can be hired as privateers. They have hidden nationality, so you can't tell whether they are privateers or pirates. They can have various promotions.

Also, maybe there could be a Barbary Pirates minor civ (as a respawn of the Moors or replacing the Seljuks for 1700 AD) that would be able to build Privateers and would hassle European shipping. All in all, I think your idea is a great idea.

I do agree that piracy is important enough to be depicted, the only problem with your suggestion is that it is kind of complicated. For one, I don't think UHVs are necessary as "Pirates" shouldn't be a playable civ. Perhaps the best way to illustrate piracy is simply to have barbarian privateers spawn and hassle maritime powers.

Your ideas are grand in scope, but you're going overboard with them and losing sight of the bigger picture. There's no functional difference between Dante Alighieri and Elvis Presley in this mod; what exactly makes this motley band of pirates special enough to get their own abilities? Speaking of which,
Mary Read - Unique ability: Pregnancy I
Anne Bonny - Unique ability: Pregnancy II
I'm not sure why pregnancy is a unique ability, or why both the female pirates in your proposal have it as their (almost identical) unique abilities, or why it gives a bonus to hit points. It certainly didn't help Mary Read too much! The »women on board« modifier for Calico Jack makes no sense, either, since his crew didn't even know about the women.

As a separate modmod, though — such as »Rhye's and Fall of the Buccaneers« — your idea could go a long way.

Barbarian Privateers already spawn in the Caribbean, by the way.

Yeah, the Indian Ocean, the straits of Madagascar, and the Indonesian archipelago should definitely have some more privateers roaming the waters. Then perhaps I could even pretend that the Orang Laut isn't completely worthless! :lol:

Yeah, I vaguely recall reading about a proposed change to the Indonesian UU, can't seem to recall exactly what was being suggested though...

Privateers already spawn in all of these areas. The Indonesian UU was even specifically created to counter them.

I'm not sure why pregnancy is a unique ability, or why both the female pirates in your proposal have it as their (almost identical) unique abilities, or why it gives a bonus to hit points. It certainly didn't help Mary Read too much! The »women on board« modifier for Calico Jack makes no sense, either, since his crew didn't even know about the women.

Pregnancy gives them extra hit points because they pretended to be pregnant to get out of being executed. Since there are no executions in DoC (or any civ game), i felt the best way to represent this was with extra hit points.

Even though his crew didn't know about the women, I needed to give him some sort of bonus. If you have any alternative suggestions, please tell me.

Orang Laut is actually bunch of pirates in the Strait of Malacca hired by Srivijayan (as mercenaries). New UU could be Badhil (musketman), one of the earliest Gunpowder unit in Asia or Keris Warrior with effect of random promotion like in CiV:BNW..

No offense, but I don't think it would be a good idea to add 11 new civilizations in the Caribbean and Eastern seaboard or to add a bunch of new and complicated concepts to the game. Pirates are already well-represented in the game with barbarian ships harassing coastal cities.

No offense, but I don't think it would be a good idea to add 11 new civilizations in the Caribbean and Eastern seaboard or to add a bunch of new and complicated concepts to the game. Pirates are already well-represented in the game with barbarian ships harassing coastal cities.

Barbarian ships aren't nearly as cool, engaging, and interesting as individual pirate captains.

And It wouldn't be 11 full fleged civilizations.

They would have no stability map - cause they don't start with cities
They would all have the same war map - ports in the caribbean, northern Brazil, spanish main, and eastern seaboard
They would have no city name map - they would use the same map as whatever country they originated from. (English for Rackham, French for Lafitte, etc)
They would all have the same UHVs

I think pirate civs are nice and all, but look at the scale of DoC. DoC isn't big enough (according to Leoreth) for a Maratha civ or another Medieval Indian civ, it isn't big enough for a Venitian empire, it isn't big enough (according to some) for Kievan Rus, and it isn't big enough for many other significant things, like the above listed. While I think pirates as mercenaries with a couple of unique promotions is fine, but pirates having different factions with UPs and UHVs and the ability to conquer cities and everything is just impossible on the scale of DoC.

Barbarian ships aren't nearly as cool, engaging, and interesting as individual pirate captains.

And It wouldn't be 11 full fleged civilizations.

They would have no stability map - cause they don't start with cities
They would all have the same war map - ports in the caribbean, northern Brazil, spanish main, and eastern seaboard
They would have no city name map - they would use the same map as whatever country they originated from. (English for Rackham, French for Lafitte, etc)
They would all have the same UHVs

yeah but it does sound like 11 player slots

dont get me wrong, i love pirates, and theres something to this idea. but i think it needs to be rfc:pirates, in some way or it needs to be scaled down a ton. theres just too much going on for one feature.

maybe a modmodmod rfc doc pirates, with one pirate faction would be a solid way to start looking into doing something with this.

well that too. thats potentially life destroying though

I can't begin to tell you how many Spanish Treasure Ships I've sunken.

But anyways, to the poster of the Pirates idea.
Perhaps you should pitch this in the RFC modmods subforum.
Maybe someone will like the idea and help you work on it.

Top Bottom