Suggestion: smarter next-unit logic

Spiceweasel

Warlord
A suggestion for improving the gameplay experience:

The game should pick the next unit needing orders based on proximity to the player's camera.

Right now, when you give orders to one unit, often the game jumps to another unit half way across the map, even when there are units right where you're looking who also need orders. This is kind of distracting when you're planning a series of tactical moves. You have to keep scrolling back to the situation you're thinking about, and clicking on a unit there manually. It would be much better if the game would choose the next unit for you to give orders to based on where you're currently looking. It wouldn't always pick the unit you want to move correctly next, but at least you'd be in the right vicinity most of the time.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing. Especially when I have a sleeping unit nearby that I want to wake up but it drags me halfway across the world rather than the active unit sitting next to the sleeping unit, then I usually forget about him.

I signed up just to add my comment to this thread.

I find this the MOST annoying "feature" that really needs to be fixed.

I would like the fix to be somewhat intelligent about selecting units though. Something like a human would do when looking at a certain part of the map. I would like to see the game pick a camera location and then sort the units into categories by type (air, naval, land, land-ranged, civilian) and sort them within a category by distance from the screen center.

Cycle through the units in one category first, then to the next category. If I pick a unit manually though, the next unit should come from the same category. So if I want to move my workers first, I pick one and the game should continue with workers and then cycle to air units.

Not jumping the camera all over the place is essential to moving units or doing combat properly.

Top Bottom