1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions after playing

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Aeon221, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

I've now played through a few games in v1.00, and I have a few suggestions.

-More Spies

Spies are great fun, but there are simply not enough of them. Three spies was not nearly enough to provide me (Russia, including China and Mongolia) with a decent counterintelligence screen against a robust German covert ops program. It was immense fun chasing the German spy from oil field to oil field, and I would like some more of that, please!

-Earlier Spies

Spies are fun! There is no rational reason for them to wait so long to exist.

-Change the German Power.
    Nuff said.

-Add a refugee system of some kind

Anything, really. Just something that brings the horrors of war a little closer. Good (resettlement) and bad (genocide) responses would also be cool!

-Make nukes matter

I used nukes legitimately for the first time in my game as Russia against Germany. 1 or 2 pop points of dmg is a joke! The animation is fine, but make the doomsday weapons less like firecrackers.

2. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Perrhaps an early diplomat unit would be nice...

3. cece84

cece84 Chieftain

ehhh like civ2 diplomats! (loved that game :p )

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

genocide might be one row of colonial management

5. Spartan117

Spartan117 Immortal

adding ethic units to replace the european units(spearmen, macemen..etc)

their strength dont have to be altered, for balance, but it does seem cool to have ethnic looking units

by having this will it slow down gameplay?...

6. jbfballrb

jbfballrb Chieftain

it would slow download time, i dont think it would affect gameplay

7. Aeon221

Aeon221 Lord of the Cheese Helmet

Ethnic units were tons of fun in RoCX, I would love to see then in RFC.

Earlier spies, rather than diplomats, because the espionage "minigame" is a fun one that is usually restricted to the endgame, where endgame: already so much other stuff to deal with that spies become not worth the bother.

In the midgame, when you are shuffling around a few workers, it would be nice to get some terror going with spies. Cold wars are entertaining as hell to play through.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of Lebanon right now. Large numbers of people disposessed by military action. Something with unit spawns (maybe using the settler graphics?) and a touch of morality.

For resettlement, you could get a minor diplo bonus and a pop point in a random city. For genocide, a culture boost and a major diplo malus.

8. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

The number of spies can be based on number of cities (1 per 4 cities sounds nice, with a minimum of 3) or it can be based on score ranking (the higher up you go, the more spies you get), or on wealth (richer countries get better espionage). And I like the idea of earlier spies in larger quantities.

9. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

where's that "3" stored?

10. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

In CIV4UnitClassInfos.xml, the line <iMaxPlayerInstances>3</iMaxPlayerInstances>.

11. Samael

Samael Chieftain

If I might add anything at all, I find the English and French UP kind of really weak myself. The Royal Navy is better known for its strength, not the number of ships, I thought. Drill I (as I think was suggested somewhere else) or Combat I would make more sense then a bonus on construction time (especially considering that navies are of very limited use in the game I find and I seldom encounter all that many enemy ships.).

12. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

I agree that the Royal Navy bonus needs to represent quality rather than quantity. We pretty much reached consensus about that a while ago in the UP thread, but nothing was ever changed. I would suggest Drill I and Drill II since Drill I isn't really that good by itself.