1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Actually, the more programming a feature requires the more likely it is to be implemented, because programming is fun.

Tasks that don't require much programming, such as the creation of new scenarios, mainly consist of lots of tedious things that are the exact opposite of fun.

2. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

Doesn't adding a new scenario take a lot of programming, because of the amount of things in Python that have to be added/changed?

Also, 800th Post! [party]:dance::banana::band::banana::dance:[party]

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Nope, I took the opportunity to streamline things when I created the 1700 AD scenario because did I mention? Programming is fun.

And congrats.

4. mrrandomplayer

Since I am now taking a Python class in school, I might be able to start fiddling around with RFC by December, and then maybe I can make my own modmod! If I did, however, it would be focusing on alternate history.

5. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

I'd like to learn with mrrandomplayer. Right now I can't even understand the ABCs of python :( . I'd have shifted the flip area for the Mughals to include only Afghanistan and Merv and that would be their spawn areas. All I know is I'm supposed to do that through changing the consts.py but don't know exactly how.

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Understanding how to write code in Python and how to use this knowledge to edit the mod are two very different things.

For instance, the Consts.py file doesn't really contain any code at all and is only a collection of constants. It's finding the right places for the information you want to change that's the challenge there, and that doesn't depend on Python.

(Is Python the first programming language you learn, by the way?)

7. mrrandomplayer

I know a few snippets of C++, but pretty much yes.

8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Yeah, I don't really know Python at all, but I've changed quite a lot in DoC.

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's interesting. Python isn't a traditional language to teach programming beginners, and it's different than the classics C or Java in a number of ways.

10. Rorgloin

Rorgloin Warlord

I awoke this morning and walked out to my balcony to view. . . BEAUTIFUL THEODOSIAN WALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU LEORETH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Your magnificent, awe-inspiring Goodness knows no bounds! We praise you with great praise! Long live Leoreth!
    I CAN FINALLY PLAY AS THE BYZANTINES!!!
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

11. citis

citis Deity

A new technology cost proposal:

Every tech has three situations: Undiscovered, advanced and discovered.
    Advanced: discovered by one civ
    Discovered: known by two or more civs
    Undiscovered: all the others

Every discovered tech is characterised by a number.
    If a discovered tech's number is increased, then the number of every requirment tech increases by one.
    When a tech becomes discovered its number is set to 0.
    The cost of a discovered tech is (normal cost)*(4/5)^(its number).

Every advanced tech is characterised by a number. The cost of an advanced tech is the normal cost (since it is researched by a civ that doesn't know it yet).
    On tech discovered, this tech is characterised discovered, its number is set to 0 and the advanced tecs that require it are updated (according to the following rule).

The cost of an undiscovered tech is greater that the normal cost and depends on its requirements.
    If there are no requirements then the cost is normal. (Its number is set to 0)
    If it can be researched by discovered requirements, then the cost is normal. (Its number is set to 0)
    Else there is at least one advanced requirement. The advanced requirement is discovered by the researhing civ.
    From the replacable requirements the smallest number is kept. If one of the replacable requirements is discovered then 0 is kept. (For example, at discovering music the replacable requirements are literature and drama).
    The kept number represents all the replacable requirements. From the kept number and the numbers of the other requirements the biggest number is kept.
    The cost is (normal cost)*(5/4)^(biggest number).

The proposal has these characteristics:
    *A tech's trade value remains the same after it is sold.
    *Backyard civs can discover outdated techs in lower cost.
    *Advanced civs can discover advanced techs at greater cost.

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Such a mechanism is already in the game.

13. citis

citis Deity

Yes I know that there is a mechanism about backyard civs. However, as far as I know it focused on open borders agreement. The proposed is focused in maintaining technology unity throughout the globe. Moreover, does it cost more to search an advanced technology?

14. Lew09

Lew09 Chieftain

I do not completely understand your proposal, citis, but I'd say technology unity isn't a overall good idea. At least a civs research progress shouldn't depend on the progress of civs it never had contact with, or even on those it has no contact with at the moment.

15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No, it's not based on open border agreements.

Techs just get progressively cheaper the more civs have already discovered them.

16. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Why not just make.
    DYNAMIC TECHNOLOGIES
    Eh? Eh? A unique tech tree. FOR EVERY. CIVILIZATION

17. yurisusuki

yurisusuki Hope, Faith and love

Fear...

18. citis

citis Deity

:lol: Royal Tenenbaum, I bow to your trolling abilities.

19. Malchar

Malchar Prince

For it to be truly dynamic, the tech tree would have to be changing during the game. :D

20. adhiraj.bose

adhiraj.bose Deity

When I first learned about the Corporation feature of BTS, I imagined spreading powerful wealthy corporations worldwide. instead, I could only spread them to my cities. With DOC, that became randomized. But, as an added feature, why not allow spread of home corporations to foreign cities as Multi-National Corporations ?

Only corporations with presence over enough cities to cover 30 pop points can spread into other cities. When they do, the target country would get a sum of money representing foreign investment, but would have to pay to the host country a sum per turn representing repatriation of profits. When an MNC makes an investment into another civ's city, it would gain access to 1/2 of the resources of that respective corporation present in that country and get a bonus boost equal to that. E.g if a steel MNC spreads to a civ with 3 iron resources, it would get the bonus boost of 1.5 iron resources.