1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

There is no right or wrong, that just happens to be the opinion of the guy making these changes.

Wait, I'm that guy, and I'm always right. Forget what I said.

2. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

Leoreth technically isn't always right (though we like to think of it that way), as right and wrong are opinions. Then again, that doesn't matter because Leoreth always has the final word on what goes in the mod. After all, he made it.

On the other hand, I am always right, except when I am wrong.

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Die Partei, die Partei, die hat immer Recht,
    Und, Genossen, es bleibe dabei;
    Denn wer kämpft für das Recht,
    Der hat immer recht
    Gegen Lüge und Ausbeuterei.

(Oh, the Party, the Party is always right,
    And comrades, may it ever be so;
    For who fights for the right
    He is always right
    Against lies and exploitation).

4. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

^^ 1984 snapped to my mind, mostly because I finished it just recently, which is a shame because it really was a lovely book and I can't believe I took so long to get around to it.

5. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is a better piece in every aspect.

6. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Great, something else I have to read now. ;)

Currently running through all of Steinbeck, but it'll be on my list.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's the official anthem of East Germany's ruling party, by the way.

Yes, they were that obnoxiously card-carrying.

8. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Brave New World's theme is the same as 1984, however.
    Don't be annoying and be specific about it, contrarians; they're both about unpleasant futures.

9. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Can you say "Evil Mastermind Organization" any better?

10. Aharon

Aharon Chieftain

Well, it wouldn't have been that obnoxious if they hadn't actually been a dictatorship, but true to the song. Fighting for justice against lies and exploitations is a pretty laudable Goal, and I would even agree that whoever does so is right - the probem is figuring out what's just and so on.

But enough of real life politics (oh, the joys of it :p)

I really like the way things are going, but I got the Impression that the Change from 1.11 to 1.12 is far larger than the one from 1.10 to 1.11.

Concerning the BUG-thingie: Is the Integration of the DLL planned for 1.12? I'm currently pondering wether it's worth familiarizing myself with the Options already available, or if I shouldn't bother and Play with the old Interface till everything is incorporated.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You could say that, although 1.11 was mainly concerned with new civs while 1.12 is focused on mechanics which have a more all-encompassing effect.

And yeah, the DLL will be included before release, I'm currently just waiting with that because I want to catch as many bugs as possible before adding it so I can exclude that as a possible cause.

12. Titoudeff

Titoudeff Chieftain

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The Delta Works are cool.

14. Titoudeff

Titoudeff Chieftain

The CN Tower tower could replace Eiffel Tower's current effect and the Panam Canal could give something like +100% (or more) yield for trade routes and +X trade routes.

15. Visard

Visard Warlord

I have suggestion about city razing.

I have always thought that it is way too brutal in cIV. If you raze city with population over million, all the people will just vanish. It would more realistic if by razing cities you would get slaves/workers/settlers depending on the population of the razed city. And there should be option to demote city to town during conquest instead of ruins.

Example:
    You have conquered Babylon (size 6)
    1. Install new governor to city as part of your Empire: gain Babylon
    2. Pillage city to ruins and enslave population (requires slavery): gain 2 slaves and :gold: and ruins.
    3. Abandon city and relocate population: gain 1 settler and ruins.
    4. Take their best men to workers and let rest govern themselves: gain 1 worker and town.

Formula could be example this, where x is population of conquered city and all is rounded down:
    Slaves = (x-1)/2+:gold:
    Workers = (x-1)/3+town
    Settlers = (x-1)/4

16. Malchar

Malchar Prince

The cash that you receive for capturing a city is theoretically comparable to hammers. If you get 100-200 in cash, that should be about equal to a settler and some workers. Of course, sometimes it would be nice actually get the units instead of the cash.

17. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Warlord

Conquered cities are already pillaged (you gain a lump sum of gold and the population drops) so what seems to be new that you are suggesting in the second option is that razing a city ought to yield slaves with the slavery civic. It would bring the slave unit into the ancient-medieval world, which has historic precedence, with a pretty simple rule change. I worry about balance though, we already have a lot of incentives to raze cities and a map on which many cities were razed has less interesting non-player things going on.

I like the raze to town idea but I think it should be limited to conquered cities within another one of your cities' fat cross. From a gameplay perspective turning a 1 pop city into a town might be op so perhaps it should be a hamlet>village>town depending on population. I don't think you need to include the free worker just change the text to, "relocate government functions to *nearby_city*."

While the relocate city idea seems very useful and makes some sense, I'm struggling for historical precedent that doesn't involve some sort of mass enslavement/diaspora. IMO if you want to move the city you ought to have to raze and resettle with your own civilization's settler.

18. Visard

Visard Warlord

That was the main reason I wanted the population to become settlers when city is razed. Amount of cities in map stay same, but the location could change. Which would be interesting in 3000 BC start at least.

My idea was that you can choose this option only when you get at least one worker. So city must have at least 4 population. Of course lower population cities could become villages.

Relocating entire population from city sounds modern consept (soviet union) but it has been used in ancient times too. But it could reguire certain civics so it wouldn't be used too often.

Egypt relocated Philistines to southern Canaan. Assyria used mass-deportation as a punishment for rebellions. The Inca were known to have dispersed conquered ethnic groups throughout their empire. In Persia hundreds of thousands of Kurds, along with large groups of Armenians, Assyrians, Azeris, and Turkmens, were forcibly removed from the border regions and resettled.

"In the ancient world, population transfer was the more humane alternative to putting all the males of a conquered territory to death and enslaving the women and children."(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_transfer)

1. Install new governor to city.
    2. Raze city and massacare population (theocracy and wrong religion in city or tyranny).
    3. Raze city and enslave population (slavery): Slave(s).
    4. Raze city and relocate population (hereditary rule or autocracy): Settler(s).
    5. Take their best men to workers and let rest govern themselves (city states or universal suffrage): Town and worker(s).

+ normal autoraze and liberation mechanics.

19. yurisusuki

yurisusuki Hope, Faith and love

:goodjob:

20. therox

therox Hydralisk

Why Uruguay isn't historical for Brazil and Portugal ? They should