Suggestions and requests

What's with Vikings having the Greenland coast as a historical area, but it being impossible to settle due to being all snow? There's even names in the CNM for it, which sadly won't see any use.

In case it's open to suggestions: I know that historically their settlements there eventually failed, but the same can be said of Vinland. My suggestion would be for their historical area there to start as grassland ("green"land southern coast apparently was warmer than usual during the 800 - 1300 AD period), place some forests and maybe some food bonuses there, then after a certain date (1300?) they turn to tundra, and later to snow if we want things to get cool.

Here's a possible redesign of the area:
Spoiler :

Actually, iirc settling Greenland is one of the many strategy necessary for Viking to settle Vinland. I don't know if that ocean hopping strategy is still there, but last time I checked I need to settle Britain, then hop to Iceland, hop to Greenland, hop to Vinland.

I think the main concern behind this issue is while I believe we all aware of this, we don't know how will they get abandoned... despite the name of the parent mod is Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, imo RFC is kinda bad in representing a fallen city, an abandoned city, a failed city. The only way to really abandon a city is by razing it to the ground with bonus stability penalty; or unluckily lost it as you built it adjacent to a capital of a rising civ (Ayutthaya vs Angkor)

In other words, once you plant it; you can't uproot it, you have to burn it down.

Actually, iirc settling Greenland is one of the many strategy necessary for Viking to settle Vinland. I don't know if that ocean hopping strategy is still there, but last time I checked I need to settle Britain, then hop to Iceland, hop to Greenland, hop to Vinland.

I think the main concern behind this issue is while I believe we all aware of this, we don't know how will they get abandoned... despite the name of the parent mod is Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, imo RFC is kinda bad in representing a fallen city, an abandoned city, a failed city. The only way to really abandon a city is by razing it to the ground with bonus stability penalty; or unluckily lost it as you built it adjacent to a capital of a rising civ (Ayutthaya vs Angkor)

In other words, once you plant it; you can't uproot it, you have to burn it down.

No, Greenland is not settable and it isn't necessary to reach Vinland. Way to reach it is when Vikings research/bulb Compass, an ocean tile to Iceland in northern England will turn to coast allowing galley passage, to settle Reykjavik and popping culture borders, allowing galleys to traverse the ocean tiles inside its borders to the Greenland coast and the Hudson Bay area.
I just thought that if it would be nice to be able to settle Greenland too, either after you get the UHV goal or if you don't mind them too much.

And yes, cities' abandonment due to decadence instead of conquest is only somewhat represented by plagues, but that's game mechanics. It's fine that cities will grow slower or quicker depending on the quality of surrounding terrain.

Wellll... With the master map thread Greenland is necessary to get to Vinland, which gives Greenland some important outside its crappy location and makes the Viking UHV more exciting.

Wellll... With the master map thread Greenland is necessary to get to Vinland, which gives Greenland some important outside its crappy location and makes the Viking UHV more exciting.

Aha, I see. Should have taken a look at the master map thread before suggesting stuff for the map then. Sorry.
But I suppose that changes to the map are not prioritary for Leoreth right now? After all, there's always some code to write or rewrite somewhere which is more pressing for things to run smoothly.

But I suppose that changes to the map are not prioritary for Leoreth right now? After all, there's always some code to write or rewrite somewhere which is more pressing for things to run smoothly.
Basically, but it depends.

I'm relatively new to the forum, so for all I know there are several dozen posts on this very topic somewhere in this 255+ page thread, but...

Has anyone working on Dawn, or on any other Rhye-based modmod, developed a mechanic for *abandoning* cities? I can imagine two major aspects of this: the first being economic-based (e.g., the 'ghost towns' of the American West), the second being military-based (not the current 'city ruins' when a town is razed, but perhaps migration in the face of constant local wars).

I don't doubt there are other potential mechanics out there, but my idea for ghost towns would involve cities planted on or next to (1 tile from) a resource, where after a certain time (50 turns?), the game rolls a dice for whether the resource is exhausted. If the population is sufficiently low (less than 4? less than 8?) and the city can't be repurposed (no other resources in 1-tile box, not bordering a river or coast, commerce below a certain threshold) the tile becomes 'ghost town' and you receive a settler and/or worker unit in its place.

Thoughts?

What cities built in DoC can be abandoned? Due to scaling a city in DoC is a whole country, so abandoning a city in DoC is equivalent to abandon a... whole country. It can't be done. Abandoning military "cities" seems valid (Roman empire, colonial empires). In DoC terms, we can say that they are forts, whose soldiers abandoned them. Upgrading the impact of forts, so that there is a point in using them, is better.

Actually I'd totally support a fort enhancement that would give the 9 tiles adjacent to the fort some culture if a unit is stationed in it. That way you could get resources without paying maintenance costs.

The Sengoku mod has a similiar function to that! But I think thats more ok on a map with national or regional scale. Not the whole globe perspective we have here!

It depends, it could be a special improvement available after a certain tech (compass ?), to represent things like French presence in the Great Plains, and some African colonies.

So guys,i'v recently played the rise of mankind,new dawn version and i'v been kinda wondering if we can put revolution,the new technologies and civics into the DOC

What cities built in DoC can be abandoned? Due to scaling a city in DoC is a whole country, so abandoning a city in DoC is equivalent to abandon a... whole country. It can't be done. Abandoning military "cities" seems valid (Roman empire, colonial empires). In DoC terms, we can say that they are forts, whose soldiers abandoned them. Upgrading the impact of forts, so that there is a point in using them, is better.

There's actually a lot of abandoned cities that evolve into big cities... check DoC 3000BC. Sparta is abandoned, Persepolis is abandoned, Greenland is abandoned, etc. Some of them can simply get name change (Carthage -> Tunis) but cities like Sparta can not. There's no equivalent major cities that exist there after it's abandonment.

Well, i think it wouldn't be hard to select the right map (there is few decent bigger maps used in other mods), and then change the coords in the code.
Hm...
Did they really? Or are you referring to the viewport feature?
No no, I can tell the two apart ;) Real multi-threading, like in Civ 5, no clumsy view ports. And works like a charm from what I have experienced.

Aren't towns already downgrading when an economical crisis appears or a plague?I think it's representing it enough.

No no, I can tell the two apart ;) Real multi-threading, like in Civ 5, no clumsy view ports. And works like a charm from what I have experienced.
Sorry, it's just that I've heard too many rumors about what C2C can do to just believe the good news.

But that's awesome! We can get a huge benefit out of that. I hope they've documented their code well, but if I have to pester the responsible modder I will do that too.

There's actually a lot of abandoned cities that evolve into big cities... check DoC 3000BC. Sparta is abandoned, Persepolis is abandoned, Greenland is abandoned, etc. Some of them can simply get name change (Carthage -> Tunis) but cities like Sparta can not. There's no equivalent major cities that exist there after it's abandonment.

I think there is something of a mechanic for this in RFCA - when Mandate of Heaven changes some smaller cities are destroyed. I think this could be adapted to happen with collapses and more specific cities (so Athens and Rome don't burn), and it would clean up the 3000 BC scenario a lot, along with less complaints about AI city placement.

On collapse: if two cities are two tiles close, the smaller one is destroyed? (Maybe if population/culture < some threshold?)

The first condition sounds good.

Might also add something to it like cities with population over 8(?) will not be destroyed to account for India, China, etc.

I also think weighting coastal city population higher (x2?) and having ties go to them would do some good.

Also, holy cities and Jerusalem other than the Zoroastrian one (nothing against the religion, but Parsa is useless) should take priority.

Maybe even protect cities with not expired wonders, that should include Jerusalem.

Top Bottom