1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

It doesn't. WB'ed and confirmed. Hill doesn't spread irrigation, unless there's an irrigated farm on it (city does not count as irrigated farm).

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm pretty sure VD includes it, in any case I'll start with unit graphics when I'm implementing VD.

3. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Could you add a scrolling scoreboard? It would make navigation of the scoreboard easier in the late game, since that's when early civs are respawning.

4. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

Gah, I messed up. For a very long time I couldn't distinguish the names John and Jack either.

That will make Agrarianism completely worthless for Russia, which I think is NOT a good idea.

I think Spain's OPness does not come from its tech/economy. It never impressed me much with its tech. Sure, it's often first to Optics, but that's because it beelines Optics at the expense of everything else (even Meditation).

Spain's OPness come from their Conquerors. They get their Conquistador UUs regardless of their tech. No Gunpowder, no Astronomy - BAM! Conquistadors. While I agree this is fun, it causes a Spain who reaches America first to be insanely OP, since the sudden free Conquistadors lead to a skyrocketing Power rating, which leads to various AIs (Portugal, England, even Byzantium) peace vassalizing to Spain.

By contrast, a Spain who does not reach America first is mediocre.

I think the fix to this problem is to fix the Conquistador UU.

(1) Tech requirement is set to Optics, Horseback Riding (no Gunpowder);

(2) Base Strength 11 (was 12);

(3) +50% vs. Swordsmen, Axemen instead of +50% vs Melee. It shouldn't get insane bonuses against European Pikes and Maces;

(4) Power rating of 9 (was 12). This will hopefully fix the Spain Power Explosion that causes it to suddenly get many free Vassals;

(5) Everything else (Cost, Flanking, Defense Bonus, Upgrades) remain the same.

This is still a very powerful unit and fulfills its role spectacularly against American natives. However, it now has counter among contemporary European units, whereas previously it does not (old Conquistadors pulverize Pikes, Muskets and Knights alike).

5. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

No worries, I couldn't tell the difference between Juan and John once upon a time

I agree, the OPness of Spain is rooted in the Conquistador . I didn't know you didn't need GP and Astro, I always researched those as Spain before I went for the New World

6. Arizael

Arizael Chieftain

It might have been discussed elswhere, but would it be possible to somehow improve Jerusalem?

I am okay with the fact that it is nearly impossible to hold. My problem is the total crapiness of the city. It lacks everything - commerce,production and food.The fish (only resource it has) would be much better used on Sur. Even with the Temple of Solomon the city is so useless that it makes me think about razing it and put Sur to its full potential.

I don't think it should be like that. The city was always focus of everyones attention and even in modern day It's quite kicking. Maybe improving it a little and coming up with some crusade mechanic would bring more flavor into the game :p

7. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

Uh, I don't think we should nerf the Conquistador's strength, even by one.
    Rather, to fix the Power issue, why don't we reduce the numbers of soldiers it counts for?
    There's a list out here somewhere in the forum which basically shows Power contributions by units:
    (i.e. Crossbowman -> 6000 troops, Barracks -> 2000 troops, etc.)
    We can reduce the Conquistador by half and see what happens from then on.
    Other than that, the +50% vs. Swordsmen + Axemen is a good idea.

8. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

And +50% versus Spearmen, in case Maya is still alive.

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Good thing we don't have many Jacks on European thrones :D

No matter what, European civs valued Agrarianism too highly.

Good point, I think I'll follow your suggestions here.

I don't know, Jerusalem itself was never very useful, and a fought-over city only because of its religious significance. The temple of Solomon is meant to stipulate that, since the major factions that are meant to fight over it (Byzantium, Arabia) all have their own shrines. Also, don't forget that the Catholic shrine is also in Jerusalem!

Yes, there probably needs to be a way to properly conduct a crusade.

10. I_am_sin7

I_am_sin7 Warlord

Thanks! - I'll look forward to it :)

11. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

The problem is that in 3000BC starts it is useless, because the ToS obsoletes too early and the city is so crappy that I most likely wouldn't take even with ToS never obsoleting. In my Phoenician game I only held it briefly to get the 5 mediterranean cities goal, but I was very pleased to see the Arabs flip it. Mongols and Arabs held it for a while and both offered it to me due to Sur's supreme culture, but I refused to take and would've disbanded it, had it flipped to me. That shouldn't be the case.

12. Arizael

Arizael Chieftain

Apart from ToS the city should be selfsufficient, so it's atractive even at 3000 BC start. Also i might try to think some event what would motivate the civs to actualy take it.

13. King Coltrane

King Coltrane King

seems like a possible fix for jerusalem is to make one of the desert tiles next to it a hill as well, which is in keeping with accurate geography

14. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

Or you could get rid of the Prosecutor unit altogether. Its AI doesn't work properly even in RFCE.

Use Persecution Events instead, as something similar in mechanics to the Reformation, but opposite in effect, i.e.

(1) When a foreign religion spreads to a sufficient number (say, 3) of your cities, you will be given the choice to persecute, in the form of a dialogue box;

(2) There will be several ways of persecution, all of which lead to temporary Unhappiness or Instability;

(2.1) Option 1: Burn the Heretics. Remove foreign religion from a certain number of cities (say, 3). Costs temporary Instability, but no Unhappiness;

(2.2) Option 2: Tax the Heretics. You get +100 Gold per foreign religion per city (so if you have 2 foreign religions in one city, you get +200 Gold from that city) for up to 300 Gold. This does not remove foreign religions, and cost temporary Unhappiness (double the usual Religious Freedom unhappiness plus 1 unhappiness in all cities).

Taxing the Heretics will cause diminishing returns, i.e. the next time you tax them you get +50 Gold only.

(3) The player will be asked to choose between Burn, Tax, and no action every few turns (8 turns on Normal?) as long as 3 or more of their cities has foreign religions, as long as they're not running Secularism.

(4) Player's running Theocracy will have additional Prosecution benefits and less drawbacks, for example:

(4.1) On switching to Theocracy player immediately gets the option to persecute.

(4.2) Theocracy players can persecute up to 8 cities at a time, instead of just 3.

(4.3) Theocracy players have halved Unhappiness/Instability durations from persecution.

(5) Persecuting causes Relations penalty with other players whose state religion your persecuted. This penalty is more severe when you burn the Heretics.

(6) When a religion is persecuted from one civ, it spreads to other, more tolerant civs instead, similar to Reformation mechanics. This will prevent the extinction of certain religions (most likely Protestantism).

15. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

But then how can His Most Catholic Majesty Felip II exterminate the Protestant filth?

16. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

^ LOL Protestantism is very weak even now without any prosecutors. The non-state Religion Unhappiness and Instability really punish Protestant civs.

17. Kraizer

Kraizer DoC Enthusiast/Bad Ass MC

Minor Suggestion, but the Dutch UP is very bland ATM, as it's basically a second UB instead (Dutch East India Trading Company) and I think we could look at alternatives. Surely a Unique Power should effect more than a single building?

18. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Actually, it affects the corporation. But I agree it should be changed, it's useless if you want to play in the Modern era.

19. Kraizer

Kraizer DoC Enthusiast/Bad Ass MC

But you have to build the trading company, and it's just the same as making their UB a Trading Company that is 2x effective, and I just think a UP should be something more 'unique' and bigger in scope, so to say.

20. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Actually, the trading company corp can spread without building the actual building. I agree that it should be something more interesting, though.