1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Logoncal

Logoncal Prince

The population and culture goal is pretty chill. The first one, however, is a nightmare. You have to be both perfect to get the most science as possible AND you have to be lucky enough to China not go for Construction quickly AND hope to god that the Hittite Hulugannis doesn't focus you.

2. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Prince

So I guess you just farm every tile?

Cause I’ve actually had the opposite problem—a guide on here explained how to get the tech goal using Scientists from an Edubba but then your pop doesn’t grow

Agreed on the Hulugannis!

3. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Guide is outdated. You need to use UP plus Oracle to get Greek techs on time (turn 50 deadline for Arithmetics and Writing), then focus on Calendar and hope no one belines for Construction (China does sometimes). In that case -- restart.

We can really continue this in guide section...

1SDAN and cmakk1012 like this.
  4. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I hereby respectfully plea to swap French and Spanish start dates. Gameplay reason: less opportunities for Spanish humans to raze Indy Bordouex and more fair game for all. Historical immersion reason: Franks were traditionally known as the first Catholic Barbarians. Right now Ragnar elects himself Pope in early 700s...

bismarck_ and 1SDAN like this.
  5. Steb

Steb King

I think there's going to be some discussion of changing some civs' spawn dates after the release, including France (it should probably spawn in the 5th century).

bismarck_, ales_ and need my speed like this.
  6. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

I know we've done away with Embassies for good reason (they were useless clutter) but is there/can there be some tech that keeps you in contact with all the civs that you would know? Having something like that late in the game would be nice for my (and I'm sure many other players') peace of minds.

7. Visard

Visard Warlord

Some suggestions to 3000BC start.

Add Silver in Sardinia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mining_in_Sardinia
    "Silver extraction was one of the earliest in Europe, known since the early Chalcolithic."
    "The mining production during the whole period of Roman rule was assessed at about one thousand tons of silver."

Change Crete to hills and add Marble or Stone:
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/30102801
    "An Ancient Marble Quarry in Eastern Crete"

Add mine and road to Cypros in 3000BC start, since AI cannot do it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_industry_of_Cyprus
    "Copper production can be dated to the fourth millennium BC"

Give AI Greece one random settler in Marseille, Syracuse, Napoli, Cyrene, Ephesus or Halicarnassus to represent the Hellenic colonization.

New effect for Sphinx: Gain a free Great Engineer, to speed up production of the Pyramids (~2500 BC).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

Already planned for after release.

ales_ and need my speed like this.
  9. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

Love love love this idea

10. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

In my modcomp I made the Pyramids require a wonder in the city it's built in. In my testing if Human Egypt gets the Sphinx they are sure to get the Pyramids.

11. Leoreth

I recently ran 10 Persia starts and Egypt had the Pyramids in 8 of them. Arbitrary extra requirements are not needed.

12. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

But did they also have Sphinx?

13. Leoreth

Mostly yes.

14. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

How? I can't even consistently get Pyramids and Sphinx!

15. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

I don't really have a good solution for this, but it seems a bit silly that if you capture a city in a later era, it sometimes can make sense for you to raze the city and then send a settler to the exact same spot and build a new city there in order to get your free buildings there, as the hammer cost for a new settler is way lower than the hammer cost for all the buildings you get upon building a new city - and the settler can just be built in one of your old cities with major production, so there's that too. Would it perhaps make sense to implement something like a reduced cost for buildings that you've "unlocked" per your era progression? Like, if settling a new city would get you a granary for free, then already existing cities which doesn't have a granary can build it for maybe half the regular hammer cost, or something like that?

16. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Maybe if you capture a city you get all of the new city buildings once the Occupation ends? I'm not sure if it makes sense from a historical perspective, but it makes sense to build the bare necessities in cities that you control.

17. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

That's why unlike vanila game you get a -10 stability hit immediately, which means you cannot always abuse this situation. People who are paranoid about their stability rarely raze cities, but when they do -- sometimes it is worth to replace useless city with something useful. But I do think that starting Renaissance Settle training should reduce the population of the builder city by -1, then -2 for Industrial Era, -3 for global and -4 for digital. This will bring some balance and realism to the world.

1SDAN likes this.
  18. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

Any thoughts on how to make Forts as an improvement more useful? One that I thought of is making it slow down movement, similar to forests and hills. It would reflect how they impose zones of control and would help to slow down fast moving cavalry stacks. The only examples of possible flatland chokes I can think of are the Bessarabian Gap, and some of the plots north of Beijing and between Transoxania and Persia where there's flatland gaps through hills.

19. Leoreth

I had once considered to let (defended) forts (and city) block movement between tiles that are both adjacent to a fort or city. This way enemies would be forced to take the fort before being able to push deeper into the territory. This rule itself would be easy to implement, but overall this is more challenging because I have no idea how the AI would deal with it or be taught to do so.

Publicola, Lokki242, hnrysml and 4 others like this.
  20. Leon Michiel

Leon Michiel Chieftain

I noticed unit naming options in the bug tool, and it made me wonder - has dynamic unit naming ever been considered? As a quick (and not thought through) example, a English lancer would be named knight, a French lancer a chevalière. There's probably better names but just for the idea.