Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. citis

citis Deity

Dynasticism is more suitable for larger cities.

2. citis

citis Deity

I propose the following renamings:

Steam Power: Rename Thermodynamics, Airships require Thermodynamics instead of Physics. Thermodynamics require scientific method and (replacable part or chemistry).

Railroad: Heat engine meaning External combustion engine. It requires thermodynamics.

Combustion: Combustion engine meaning Internal combustion engine.

Advanced flight: Jet engine. Much better. Advanced flight means nothing in fact.

Refregeration: The name stays the same, but it requires electricity and heat engine.

Satelites: It requires rocketry and radio.

Apollo program: It is renamed to Space Program. It requires radio and rocketry. (I can't imagine something else :crazyeye:)

3. calad

calad Emperor

I really wonder do we play same game at all. Happiness very rarely is a problem and often every city has tons of extra happiness.

4. citis

citis Deity

We play different game. Except if you use the culture slider to accomodate your cities, which is lost beakers.

5. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Prince

Depends on the civ, really. Play a game as Prussia, and happiness is the biggest issue you will face. Especially now that trading for happiness resources is not worth it (if you cannot offer any in exchange).

6. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

In my recent games, Empire of Nicea survives too long after the fall of Constantinople.

7. Vectors

Vectors Prince

Oh you want one of my [happiness resources]? I'll be happy to trade it for 78 gpt and your only iron

8. citis

citis Deity

Seeing a documentary on ancient military units, it seems what I leant in Civ is wrong :D. Well, I knew this isn't meant to be historically accurate but that's what I found:

Phalanx formation (which is represented by spearmen):
    Phalanx formation is very strong against other unorganised units (i.e. warriors or axes), but it is weak against flank attacks (i.e. chariots and horse archers).

Maniple (which is represented by axes):
    A unorganised formation for surprise attacks and hilly ground.

Conhort (which is represented by swordmen):
    It is dedicated in fighting large armies.

Thus I propose the following changes:

Spearman: Strength 4, -25% strength on hills, +5% (caped to 25%) per spearman in stack
    Axeman: Strength 4, +25% on attack, +25% on hills (if not city)/forest.

Swordman: Strength 6, -25% city attack

Chariot: +25% chance of withdraw against spearman

9. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Golly gee, if only someone else had already proposed a revamp of classical unit balance.

Oh wait, I did:

10. citis

citis Deity

I don't agree with the traits. For example fomration (spearmen) was an easy target for flank attacks. It should recieve malus against chariots, not bonus.

11. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Alright, fine, how about this then:

Axeman: 4 Strength, +25% Strength in Forests, Hills and Cities
    Spearman: 4 Strength, +25% Strength vs. Melee
    Archer: 3 Strength, 1 First Strike, +25% Strength in Hills and Cities, +25% Strength vs. Mounted
    Chariot: 4 Strength, +25% Strength vs. Melee, 20% Withdrawal Chance
    Swordsman: 6 Strength
    Horse Archer: 6 Strength, 1 First Strike, 30% Withdrawal Chance

Btw the Chariot should only have 1 move. Early horses weren't strong enough to pull a chariot and be any noticeably quicker than footsoldiers. Horse Archers meanwhile should stay at 2 moves.

No mounted unit apart from some unique ones is immune to first strikes any more.

12. citis

citis Deity

Rename units and something simpler:

Phalanx: (renamed spearman) 4, +10% strength per phalanx in stack in plains (caped at 50%)

The trait resembles that the power of phalanx is the dense formation of units, and it's inability to form in abnormal terrain.

Maniple: (renamed axeman) 4, +25% on attack
    These units can cause a lot of problems if not countered quickly.

Horseman: (renamed horse archer)

As for the chariot the 2 movement is required for withdrawal to work properly.

Maybe the terrain defence bonus shouldn't apply to all units, but it should be unit trait. For example, melee units shouldn't recieve +25% bonus on hills. It should be a trait of archery units only.

13. citis

citis Deity

Romes spawns with 4 settlers but Carthage spawns with 2. A common result is Rome controlling Iberia. I propose to make the opposite.

Rome spawns with two settlers. (AI) Phoencia spawns with 4 to colonise mediterranean. In this scenario Rome should recieve conquerors in Iberia.

14. saddam_who_sane

saddam_who_sane Chieftain

Would it be worth presenting Russian civ in this mod not as pan-East-Slavic civ, but as Muscovy? Historically, it seems more fair. Especially, if it would be a split to Kievan Rus' and Muscovy:)
    For example: Muscovy starts in 1380 and have new UP "of Continental Superpower" (UP "of Aspatial Culture"): Troops can claim vacant land close to continental borders (tiles should be added to the territory by simply putting troops to any tile next to continental border for at least 1 turn, remain 0% russian and be lost if nearby russian city is captured or if tile is culturally annexed). If you consider to imply something like this, I think it would be also great to add 25%-100% chance of native people uprising in the tile, annexed by russians with this UP, and add more resources in Siberia:)
    What do you think?

15. Shadow Warlord

Shadow Warlord Warlord

What's the point of this UP? I think Russia expands well enough through settler spam ( the AI just needs to do a better job of settling more resource rich areas rather than northern Siberia).

The Russian civilization could go like this:
    -Spawn at Kiev. Moscow is either settled by them later or auto spawns at a certain date.
    -If they survive Mongols, Capital moves to Moscow at certain date. If they are collapsed by Mongols, respawn with Moscow as capital.

I'd also think it'd be cool if their capital switched to St Petersburg (if built) for 1700-1800s. I don't think Maintenance costs would be too much if they're developed enough by then.

16. Genghis_Khaiser

Genghis_Khaiser Chieftain

I may come up with more ideas since I am not organized right now but here they are:
    1. As I said before, making Indochina fatter so Thailand and Cambodia can exist at the same time (I am rather asking for an opinion here).
    2. Adding more cities in the 1700 AD scenario. And an additional UHV for the civilizations that started before that date, like Japan, Spain, England, etc.
    3. Adding city names for Aztecs settling in northern Mexico, and Korean names in case they settle in Manchuria or Mongolia, which the AI often does in my games.
    4. How about some independent pre-built Scottish and Irish cities in 600 AD.

17. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Already been done in the beta versions of the game.

18. ales_

ales_ Heir

What do you mean by "beta versions"?

19. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

Development versions, the SVN versions.

20. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

Although Thailand and Khmer still cannot coexist, given that Ayutthaya and Angkor exist on neighboring tiles.