Suggestions on tracking errors?

BainIthron

Chieftain
Righteous, 'lo. I usually don't wander around here, however... I recently got into a Civ IV mood and I saw a Warhammer mod, and couldn't resist to urge to install.

I've been playing around with it, particulary as the Norse, and I noticed that at certain points in the game I'll get CTD (I think that's the correct term, Crash to Desktop?). Now, I've read through these forums, and I understand it's in beta, and that there's crashes primarily from the Mercenary Mod (Which is sad, because I liked the concept). However, If I re-load the game, it'll crash always at the same point. I've had 3 games as such, and all were at different times, more or less.

What pisses me off is I was enjoying my game, and now I can't play through the save. Does someone know -what- particulary is causing the CTDs, and if so, how might I go in possibly and prevent it from going CTD (i.e. what action not to follow, or something... though I haven't been able to follow it down to a single action). Of course, none of you are psychic... however, I thought maybe a number of you have tracked it to specific instances within the game?

If so, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

If it's quite random and no one quite knows the how to prevent and stop on an individual basis, thanks anyway.

I'm sort of don't play Civ IV all that often, so if any other info is needed, feel free to ask, thanks.

hey there BainIthron :) nice to see a new face around the forums :D
do you know if your playing the warlords beta or the vanilla beta (there are 2 different mods, we've stopped production on vanilla), so if your playing vanilla, i fear the CTD's wont be fixed any time soon, but if your playing the Warlords one, your in luck :D

im glad you like the mod, especially seeing as its in an early stage :p

now im not very up-to-date with the warlords version, so you may need to wait for Ploeperpengal to reply, but if i recall correctly we have removed the Merc mod from the latest version of the warlords mod because of the instability it causes, and the crashes to desktop it causes.
one way you MIGHT be able to fix that is by deleting the Merc Mod files (im not sure where they are), but i cant guarantee anyhting :p
(so im assuming youre using the vanilla one here ;) )

also, what happens just before the crash? does a barbarian attack a city (ai or yours) or do you research a tech, or build a unit or building? it could be a number of things. it would be easyest to upload a saved file of the game just before the crash (you can use the easy upload system, click the small red box at the top of the 'quick reply' thing) i wont be able to look at it, but if its warlords, im sure some one else would be able to look at it.

if you have warlords, feel free to ask ploeperpengal if you can do beta testing of the latest version, were always looking for enthusiastic testers, so if your willing...

I know, im sorry, im jibbering again :p its late and im tired (explains the spelling errors;) )and who says im not psychic :p jk

EDIT: i just noticed how many times i said 'Warlords" in there :crazyeye:

I'm doing Warhammer Fantasy Battle Mod 0.65, using Civilization 4 1.61. No Warlords expansion.

However, from the sounds of what you're saying, there's quite a numerous ammount of bugs that CTD, while I thought originally that it may have been narrowed down to a smaller ammount... which means it probably isn't worth the trouble :p

But for the sake of it all... on this last save... There isn't anything specific as far as I can see If a barbarian was attacking I would have seen it. One game I researched a tech though, particularly "Chronicles", and it crashed, however that tech worked in my next game, so it must have been something else. Back to this game though... Yeah... no barbarians are attacking as far as I know, because it crashes to desktop at the begining of the turn. I don't even take any actions, it just foosh, and crash.

Here's the savegame:

http://rapidshare.com/files/17231060/Blarg4.Civ4SavedGame.html

You can take a look at that if you're bored ;)

I'll probably start a new one... thanks again!

Sorry the public release won't get any more support by us. To get rid of the ctds you'd probably have to get rid of the mercmod.

In any case the Warlordsversion will be a lot better but probably take a lot more time still to be published;)

er.... excuse me if this is a rather... highly ignorant question... but how do I remove the MercMod?

Oh oh, and not to waste a post... but is there a way to launch this mod via Civ 4 Command Line (i.e. Making a special shortcut for Civ 4, that directly opens into Warhammer Fantasy, via means of adding something like -load WFB065 or something like that). However, this is a lazy question that if I -really- looked I could find the answer to, but thought I'd ask while I am asking for help anyway :p

No ignorant question just a question I can't answer in detail. You'll have to take out all the related python, sdk and xml changes related to the mercmod and recompile the gamecore.dll.

I suggest you better wait for the warlordsversion;)

You can easily creat a shortcut yourself. Just copy the FFH and edit it to assign all paths to the WH mod.

Top Bottom