Suggestions on Video Cards and Setups

etipton3

Chieftain
I resently bought a new alienware dell pc with a GTX 745 and 8Gb of RAM. This issue is my video card melted and now thiey're ofering to give me a new one or pay a liotte more and get a upgrade. I wnat to play this on max sittings,im takin bigest map, most enemie ais as possible, excedra.... whats' everyone else yousing? NVIDA, RADEON?? Whats' less exspendsive, but still godd enuff for max graphic

If you really like this game then AMD is the way to go on account of Mantle. I've had no performance issues, and it runs as smooth as butter all throughout the game. Get a 280x or above is what I'd recommend.

Nah get the awesome GTX 970. Latest tech, super efficient, super fast, and runs the game perfectly in normal DX mode.

Mantle is over rated, and will be obsolete once games start using DX12.

I have a R9 290, game is perfect, 60 FPS almost all the times at max. graphics settings, even late game. I have not noticed a difference, visually or performance wise between DX 11 and Mantle.

Heres the thing I have a BRAND NEW comp with the newest video card and a 50inch HD sony that I play this on. It normally looks ok... which is sad. I did notice that once my friend called me on skype and the little icon that we were on a call together stayed on the upper right side of my screen while I was playing this AND my graphics looked about 100% better. For the life of me I can not understand this. Can anyone help me? I have the game on its highest settings and all.

How much of an upgrade and how much? How did your 745 GTX handle the game?

Or even better, don't buy a new card yet and wait for AMDs next range and you mantle and DX12.

This comparison site might help

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+745

Looks like you're going to have to spend money. For a new machine you have a surprisingly poor card. If you want to play with max settings on largest maps you need a big upgrade. A few cards cards down from the top end should do it easily.

Good value would be a top end card from the last generation like the GTX 670/680 if you can get one, or the GTX Ti which is cheap, small and requires no extra power connections.

If Allienware are offering replacement ask their advice too, esp about what will fit and suit your machines power supply.

It is really a question of what you are looking for, the R9 290 is a very powerful card and probably more than is required just to play Civ or most games for the next 2 years.

I am able to play all the games I own, including more demanding simulations like "Rise of Flight" at maximum graphics at 60 fps.

My biggest stumbling block right now is my monitors/HDTV which are limited to 1900x1200/1900x1080. I will probably have to step up to a higher res or even a 4k setup to actually hit the card's limits.

Keep in Mind that while Mantle might give you a slight advantage.
NVIDIA are real "Plug and Play" very easy to set up and to update driver.
While AMD actually don't even have a WHQL driver that supports BE. Only a Beta driver. Installing and particularly deinstalling AMD driver is something that is not that trivial.

Is
MACBOOK PRO RETINA CI7 2.8 16GB/512 SSD GT750M 15.4
Intel Iris Pro Graphics och NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

enough to play Civ V (BE) on high resolution

Or is it better to spend the money on a "headless gaming pc" and use home streaming to my Mac Book?

Top Bottom