Suggestions Thread

Edungeon

Flying~
I am going to throw some ideas for the next versions of RAND:

>When you spawn, the area around you should be revealed ( maybe 20x20 tiles from your capital ) so you don't feel so "lost".

>Diferrent UHV for different leader! We can choose the leader but it doesn't have any effect in the game, maybe they could chance your UHV? Example:

For England
Elizabeth: -Have 2 Great Artists in your capital - Conquer Spain and France - Don't have sex? or Circunavigate the world :)
Victoria: the same of the normal game plus Conquer India and Khmer.
Churchill: Never lose a single city, have 3 Defensive Pacts ( or 5 ) and Conquer Germany and Russia(?).

>Resource rich areas. I think that in the normal RFC the power of the European Civilizations, China, Japan and USA lie in their terrain: resource rich and all grassland, the random map should try to get something like that in some areas...

UHV change for Arabia:

Not vassalize Spain, Rome etc. but just three other civilizations.

I second the first one definitely.

I'll also like to see, if possible: more peninsulas (ie. as it is I think the coast of continents is too regular), less mountains but more dense ranges where they do occur and more resource-rich terrain like you say.

I noticed there are many RRAs (ressource rich areas) in the north (= Europe), but few in the south (= middle east, India, etc.). In normal RFC thats different. Please change it in RAND.

Now there seem to be more many more hill areas which is nice, but unfortunately you cant use them until feudalism (windmills). Is there a possibility to irrigate plains with an earlier tech (with river nearby, possibly construction)? That would resemble the situation in China, northern India, and the Andes.

Oh, sorry if its like that already I apologize but then its not changed in the start, when you choose civs.

More peninsulas definitely and it would be nice to have the Mediterranean civs (Rome, Greece, Carthage etc) have an area that actually looks something like the Mediterranean with small island chains nearby and peninsulas, at least for the high earth likeness games.

my suggestion (already posted in the other thread) is make all resources (or at least all food resources) under Jungles improvable, not just plantations.

I like the idea about civ capital (or first settler) spawn having resources within X distance to repair some of the 5 gold or 3 corn + 3 elephant + horse starts.

I also think that when you place your capital, all jungle tiles one space away from the city (in culture borders) should be deleted. This is also done in "Total Realism" mod to help people crippled in all jungle/forest areas.

Show stability bonus borders - Or something to know that your second or third city is not in a flip-zone. this is annoying when it is 3 squares away from my capital, i assumed 3 spaces in all directions was "safe" but i guess i have a few more adjustments to make in this area.

COMPLIMENT - I like how you improved the financial adviser screen. knowing how many "points" i have in each area really helps me, and i would like to see this screen for regular RFC as well. i played one normal RFC after using this, and felt naked.

I would also like to know how many "stability points" each res[ective city has, and possibly for each civ, list it's stability modifiers. For example, if i am using Theocracy and Vassalage, i would like to click around on different ones to know what it will do for my stability before choosing. (unless there already is and i dont know about it?)

Marshes, many many more marshes. They are awesome seperation mechanisms that keep a natural balance.

Lastly, it would be nice if there were some, if any solution to the "useless quest" problem, like telling khmer to settle 26 cities on different landmasses, telling babylon to build 35 triremes or giving a quest that expires in 5-`0 turns of research.

Good job Rhye! This is a pretty nice mod.

It would be nice if you could switch civs more than once in the game. It's kind of frustrating (esp on a slow machine) to wait for 150 turns of autoplay just to see you have a crappy starting position.
There could still be some minimum span between two switches (like I think is already there), so you can't start as Spain and then switch to France.

It would be nice if more resources were limited to continents. On high Earth likeness my English civ still had corn, cotton and elephants whilst the Aztecs had pigs, wine and sheep.

>Diferrent UHV for different leader! We can choose the leader but it doesn't have any effect in the game, maybe they could chance your UHV? Example:

For England
Elizabeth: -Have 2 Great Artists in your capital - Conquer Spain and France - Don't have sex? or Circunavigate the world
Victoria: the same of the normal game plus Conquer India and Khmer.
Churchill: Never lose a single city, have 3 Defensive Pacts ( or 5 ) and Conquer Germany and Russia(?).

This would be great but it would require a lot of work and testing to implement - and leaders already change with time. I really like the idea though.

>When you spawn, the area around you should be revealed ( maybe 20x20 tiles from your capital ) so you don't feel so "lost".

That could be a useful reference for those "20 tiles" UHVs.

I also think that when you place your capital, all jungle tiles one space away from the city (in culture borders) should be deleted. This is also done in "Total Realism" mod to help people crippled in all jungle/forest areas.

India needs this!!

Not to try and discount all the hardwork Rhye has done on the map script, but after playing the PerfectWorld script, everything else seems boring. The PerfectWorld script will generate very beleiveable maps, first generating a heightmap, then applying plate tectonics, then using the results to generate temperature/rainfall maps, and finally converting it all to tiles. The result is realism that most other map scripts don't reach. I think it would be awesome if Rhye could incorporate it somehow, although he'd need to do some work to make it more Rhye-like. It's also a great script because resources really tend to cluster.

Not sure if this would make much sense, but there could also be 2 more categories of cities(for naming purposes): inland, next to a river, and coastal, next to a river.

I also like the idea where tiles around your capitol would be revealed when you spawn. I think it would make sense for the area that is revealed to start off small for early civs and gradually increase for the later civs. America could also get a map showing most of the explored world (especially the old world).

China/India seem too far away from each other while China/Russia (and China/Persia)way too close. Also Carthage tends to show up in weird spots, often next to India.

Show stability bonus borders - Or something to know that your second or third city is not in a flip-zone. this is annoying when it is 3 squares away from my capital, i assumed 3 spaces in all directions was "safe" but i guess i have a few more adjustments to make in this area.

I too would like the player to see some kind of hint about which tiles:
A. might flip later
B. might decrease your stability due to location

I thought that in regular RFC, the AI gets hints about B and in some cases A from the settler map. If it works the same way in RFC Rand, maybe the player's settler map value for a tile could be shown in the list of information you see when you mouse over a tile.

Or if that is too much information, just show high/medium/low or high/low.

Or allow Scout and Explorer units to show the settler value for the tile they are on.

Or something like that.

Of course, the user interface could show regions graphically rather than as a number for each tile. For example, when a Settler is selected, flip/stability regions could be shown as an extension of the display of city fat crosses that is already implemented.

as you can read here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=284241 the spot where a civ will spawn is chosen when they spawn, so you can't know which cities would flip later. Though, as you can read in the preview #4, a city will flip only if it's closer to the spawning civ's capital than to yours. I think it makes sense... as for your second question, in the pdf readme I seem to understand that you should expand "historically" and you should be safe, IE found coastal cities as Carthage, and don't found cities near the equator as the Vikings...

that gives a few extreme examples, but should my babylon just not try to settle north, are they meant to go south? I ask because my second city, which built my wonders and was my GP farm (i thought your core cities wouldn't flip) was built 3 tiles north of the capital - the minimum distance allowed. it flips. that really cost me the game, so i started my said ICS and culturally eliminated Mongol before they finally killed me. only took them 60 turns of war to realize i had 0 troops and 50 cities. I was also worried in my Khmer start, i had a nice private area, isloated by jungle - but india NEVER spawned. I was afraid to expand in fear i would collapse to india - and in another game i am in 1900 and america never spawned. If they did, they were mulled by barbs on their spawn turn and i missed it or something.

As I understand it, Rhye changed the minimum distance from 3 spaces between cities to 2. Babylon is a very challenging civ to play as they are historically tiny, not supposed to get that big land-wise so as soon as you start to build cities even moderately far from the capital you lose expansion points.

In my game, I built 4 cities separated by 2-3 spaces from another and I was on Shaky/Unstable for a long time so I had to halt expanding and just focus on making making my people happy, healthy and improving the economy. After calendar and currency I was brought back to stable so I will expand again though I'm sure it will bring me back to shaky/Unstable

Playing a 3000 BC civ that's not meant to survive ain't easy.

maybe it would be better if when a civ spawned, it checked the cities to determine HOW close it is to your capital as well. I checked my save, and my flipped babylonian city was 3 spaces from my capital, 5 spaces from the mongol capital.

I believe cities built in your capitals "third growth" range should be safe (3 spots from capital). of course that would create a metagame around it, but hey.

The other thing about Babylon in particular is that in regular RAF you didn't feel as great a need to expand far from Babylon as there were many good cities close by: Shush, Hattusas, Nineveh, perhaps Jerusalem for the Holy City....but in RAND the trend is, as has been pointed out by many here, that resources are kept much further apart from one another than in RAF so building cities close to your capital as I would think you're 'supposed' to do as Babylon proves difficult. If I did that, I would have a bunch of 1-2 size cities with very little production. And even with separation, the biggest city I have is size 8 at 1290AD.

Top Bottom