Sulieman Archipelago - First Try for a Wide Empire

BjoernLars

Warlord
Greetings all. Thank you for opening this thread and peering into my world of playing CiV.

I've been away from CiV since its release since I wasn't happy with the state of the game. After the Korean DLC was released, I gave it another try and was greatly impressed. As a builder in all the previous editions of Civ, I believe the latest version of Civ is now builder friendly.

In previous games, I would master one style of play and not venture into any other strategies to win. I hope by creating this thread I can get feedback from the CiV community and learn how to become a better player.

Goals for this Game
1. Play as a Wide Empire
2. Unlock the Achievement - A Magnificent Victory (Beat the game on any difficulty setting as Suleiman.)
3. Unlock the Achievement - Barbary Pirate (As Suleiman, accumulate a navy with 10 Barbarian naval units.)
4. Don't upset the girlfriend by playing too much CiV

So, here is the game setup:
Sulieman - Archipelago - Small Size - Warlord

Table of Contents:

Turn 40 - 2400 BC

I've won a game on Prince using the Tall Empire Strategy, but I decided to lower it back down to Warlord since I am trying a new strategy here.

Spoiler :

So here is my starting position after moving the warrior for a tiny bit of exploration. Two luxury resources (Gems and 2 Cotton), one Cattle. Not the best of starting locations.

Spoiler :

I skipped my usual Scout opener since this is Archipelago and doubt I will be doing lots of exploring right off the bat.

My guess was correct. I find out that this is a one city Island with limited resources. Hopefully a nice Strategic Resource will pop later.

Spoiler :

For Science, I started off straight for Sailing to build a Trireme to start exploring the next door island. After that, I started on Mining so I can exploit the Gems and start mining some of the hills to boost Production.

Spoiler :

As for my Social Policies, I started off down the Liberty path and popped the free worker since I wasn't building one in Istanbul. Since I plan to build a wide empire, I'm guessing that this will benefit me.

Spoiler :

For my first (and only city so far), I've build the Monument for a Culture Boost and the Granary since there isn't much land to farm. I started building a trireme at the beginning of turn 20 (3200 BC) to hopefully set off my next wave of exploration.

Spoiler :

And here are Stats for Istanbul at the end of turn 20.

Spoiler :

If you have any recommendations on what to do next or any tips, I would love to hear them!

I skipped my usual Scout opener since this is Archipelago and doubt I will be doing lots of exploring right off the bat.

For Science, I started off straight for Sailing to build a Trireme to start exploring the next door island. After that, I started on Mining so I can exploit the Gems and start mining some of the hills to boost Production.

On an archipelago map, most of the AI will beeline to optics so they can send scouts out exploring the neighboring islands. This is a reasonable strategy; they are cheaper than triremes and can pop the ruins that they find.

After I got Mining in order get the Gems for Istanbul, I followed krc's advice and went straight for Optics in order to be able to start exploring other islands with my land units.

While waiting for Optics to finish, I got the Gems and and was able to adopt another social policy. Under the Liberty Tree I got Collective Rule to pop the free Settler. Around this time my Trireme from Istanbul was ready and I went out to explore the island to the Southeast.

Spoiler :

I made a beginner's mistake, having my warrior and Settler ready to embark and set off to the new island, but I had to move them back into Istanbul's territory to gain the Embarkation Promotion.

On the island below I founded the city of Edirne. Within the borders is another Cotton, a Fish and a Stone resource. It may seem odd that I didn't go for the extra fish near the ice, but I under the name label of Edirne is an extremely small one tile river that I wanted to settle next to.

Spoiler :

Istanbul had nothing to build, so I went to work on the Great Lighthouse for now. I have some gold burning a hole in my treasury, so I am wondering what I should buy. Another Trireme? A worker for Edirne? A monument in Edirne? Any suggestions?

Spoiler :

Top Bottom