Summertime good idea, bad idea?

Summertime (Daylight Saving Time)

• Good Idea - the EU should keep it

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Bad Idea - the EU should abolish it

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
In the UK, we spend two months a year with it being dark by 4 pm (or earlier). BST would mean later dawns, but I'd much rather it be dark by 5 pm at Christmas than by 4 pm.
Oh poor you, where I live the Sun doesn't rise for a month during the winter at all. :crazyeye:

But yes, we should just leave the poor clocks alone

Last edited:
Oh poor you, where I live the Sun doesn't rise for a month during the winter at all. :crazyeye:

Well, if you must live north of the Arctic Circle, I believe that's all on you. :p

The poll lacks an "I'm not European so I don't care" option.

Well, if you don't care, why bother posting to say that?

The poll is missing a: "Daylight savings time all year long." option.

I love daylight savings! Let's have it all year long.

Well, if you don't care, why bother posting to say that?
I care about Daylight Saving Time (there may be a referendum on that here at some point), just not as it applies to Europe (since I don't live there).

We don't need separate threads for this issue, do we? One for Europeans and a different one for non-Europeans?

Only the poll relates to Europeans, so you could post your view on daylight savings without voting (or you could ask Ori to change the poll to include non-Europeans).

Also, Ori's link in the first post mentions that if DST was abolished in the UK, time zones would not change but each nation would be free to decide whether to keep to wintertime or summertime (hus possibly effectively changing one's observed time zone).

The poll still excludes people who honestly don't care one way or the other, and want to say so.

There must be some European fence-sitters here.

And for the record, I didn't vote. Nothing in the poll applies to me.

Summer time is good. What we need to get rid of is winter time. Permanent DST should be a thing.

I completely disagree here. I live near detroit so pretty far north. Summer time in june the sun is up at 6am and down at 9-930 on the longest days. Why do you need daylight to 930 as opposed to 830? I mean ok it's fine but in the winter it doesn't get light out in the morning until 9am some days. It's horrible trying to wake up at 6:30am to get kids ready for school and it's pitch black out. Getting dark at 5pm kind of sucks but I'd much rather have it be light in the morning when trying to wake up early and just turn some lights on in the evening.

I can never remember which is which. I know the clocks go forward an hour and then go back months later, but I can never remember whether Daylight Savings Time is when the clock is forward or when the clock is normal.

None of it makes any sense whatsoever so I don't believe I can be blamed for my confusion.

Apparently DST is when the clock goes forward in the spring. DST ends when clocks re-adjust backwards in the Fall. Hence: Sommerzeit. This way, the sun comes up while you're still sleeping, and sets just as you're getting ready for bed. Regardless, it's a silly concept and should be abolished.

I'm Ok with summertime, but I am opposed to fish jumping.

I quite like it except for the very first day when we're robbed of one hour.

Well actually now that I don't have strict time to get up the negative part is irrelevant, and I just like it. But if it's really causing an increase in the death rate and making people struggle with sleep, we should get rid of it (if there's data behind it).

Top Bottom