Sunni & Shia - Can you tell the difference?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CruddyLeper, Oct 17, 2006.

1. CruddyLeper

CruddyLeper Unworshipped Deity

Apparently the FBI can't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/opinion/17stein.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

2. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

Haha well in Eureopa Universalis Europeans do not Distungish between from Suiin's either but Middle Easterns do

But anyways Does it matter really? Other then in the Middle East where some countries are Sunni and others are Shia. But don't they have similar Principles of Religion

3. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

Yes, and get very annoyed with those who have opinions about Islam, but don't know the difference between not only Sunni and Shia, but all the other 'branches' of the religion.

4. CruddyLeper

Sorry, did I say FBI? I meant entire US administraiton... and yes, it matters a LOT.

Only 2 ME countries have a Shia majority - Iraq and Iran. Radical Sunni groups like AQ don't even consider Shia as Muslims.

Failure to understand such basic facts does not bode well for any sort of strategic decisions based on dumb ignorance.

5. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Sun Tzu would be rolling in his grave, really? How can a country so ignorant about the religion of the places it's trying to win over ever really win anything except some sort of dissolusionment? That's apalling, that they never bothered to find out is a whole part of the contempt they have for the region, and they wonder why hatred has fallen upon them, these people are educated, they should be able to show the world there diplomatic skills, instead they are ignorant? Jesus wept:rolleyes:

That said I'm sure those in higher places all have respect for the culture of the Mid East, and have come to the conclusion that only through understanding and tolerance will peace be achieved ;)

6. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Well the CIA and FBI dont exactly have top notch leadership or so i hear. :lol:

7. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Not even the vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence can tell the difference:eek: :
    Hopefully, the voters will get rid of that moron.

8. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

All these politicians are out of whack old men. What did you expect? :lol:

Yeah we really need the next generation to take over our government already!!!

9. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I cant tell the differance. Its just two muslim groups blowing each other up and there is not even an outcry from the rest of the Muslim community whenever a mosque is blown up by a Shunni or a Shia Muslim.

10. amadeus

amadeus Hey now!

Doesn't one support VHS and the other Betamax?

11. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

/meh...go ask Amahdinawhackjob from Iran if he knows the difference between mormons and baptists. I bet you get the 1000 yard stare.

12. GenMarshall

No I think it has to do something about Muhammed returning or apointing someone. I dont know about Islam Theology and I dont want to bother with a religion that wants us dead or is easely offended by the tinyest thing.

13. CruddyLeper

Speculation and totally irrelevent to the thread.

Mormons and Baptists have not been named as part of an Axis of Evil.

14. GenMarshall

I dont think any Muslim cares about the branches of Christianity. They still think the Pope is the head of ALL of the Christian church (When technicly he is the head of the Catholic Church) :lol:.

15. JollyRoger

Wake me when he decides to launch a pre-emptive strike on a Christian country.

16. MobBoss

Neither has Islam been named for that matter. And speculation it might be, but I think it a very reasonable speculation given the issues at hand.

17. JollyRoger

Yep. And Bush is showering them with DVD's.

18. CruddyLeper

The only issue here is that it seems the US administration cannot distinguish between nation states and terrorist groups.

19. MobBoss

And it shouldnt. Trying to do that is a losers game. Its useless to try and defeat terrorist groups unless you also go after the nation states that support them.

The only way the world defeats terrorism is by holding the nation states that support it responsible. Once nation X realizes that it faces military action for funding terrorist group B in its activities then we start making progress.

20. JollyRoger

Yep. Be a winner. Overblow terrorist ties and neglect understanding the demographic fundamentals of the country you plan to occupy and you too can have a 7 year, trillion dollar cakewalk.:lol: